First post, n00b Q

Hi folks, just started in DIY mixing about 2 months ago and don’t know where I’d be without elr, awesome site. So this is somewhat of a strange question but out of curiosity, could vaping within 5ft of a cheap egg incubator pose a risk to the eggs? My wife had a dozen or so incubating in the kitchen & they all died before hatching, haven’t suggested that it may be my fault but that’s really the only possible cause…

2 Likes

You tricked us, that’s not a noob question. Oh you!

2 Likes

While i doubt anyone could answer this question with any kind of scientific studies it isnt impossible. If the pores on the egg become clogged with VG residue then the chicks would not be able to breathe. It has been a long time since i worked on a farm but from what i remember the shell is permeable to allow for carbon dioxide to escape and fresh air to come in.

So it is possible but it would certainly require a lot of vaping around the eggs, enough to create a coating to block all the pores. I vape around 30ml/day in my house and mostly in one room. During the winter the VG condenses on the windows and it takes a few weeks for them to become bad enough to clean.

3 Likes

@joel- AH HA! You got me, but technically speaking it’s my first post and it is a question.

@ken- thank you, I don’t vape quite that much so I felt the likelihood was slim but was just curious. I appreciate it.

3 Likes

Good Grief. You know too much.

2 Likes

You said it was a “cheap” incubator? What if it over or under heated?

3 Likes

Loved growing up working on a farm, its what got me into science. :slight_smile:

OP: I was speaking about bird eggs, i dont know much about icky reptiles.

My thoughts too.

1 Like

Very cool!

I like trees. The Japanese Maple in the front yard is like a…friend. I also have a Tamarack (Tammy) that was a transplant from way up north in Michigan. I have a Willow tree in my back yard I planted two years ago that has doubled his height. (His name is Frank) Frank takes a whoopin when the Northwest wind comes in so I put a bungee cord on him attached to the fence to pull him back up straight so he doesn’t grow bent over to the South East.

I actually worked on a farm as a kid de-beeking and vaccinating chicks. The peep real loud!

1 Like

I was talking about chicken eggs, no reptiles for me either!
Now that you mention it, it could’ve easily been temp and/or humidity. Oh well maybe we’ll get some from the eggs in there now. We have 6 roosters and 2 hens, need some more hens so the roosters wont fight as much…although i do find it entertaining lol

1 Like

Just tell us when to place our bets :wink:

Rofl guess i need to get started on building an octogon ring :bell:

1 Like

You better get a better incubator too, so you’ll get more roosters as we go.

1 Like

I m not a doctor, but I’m thinking that u use nicotine (maybe?)and the egg has absorbed that ,with the resulting a lack of fertilization … my comments, I do not know if there is some truth…

I don’t know if this could be an idea for you and your wife, maybe worth looking into:

1 Like

If nicotine stopped fertilization there would be no new humans?

1 Like

Ha! (Oh you got me there)

2 Likes

silly question but what is in the cup/bowl in your pic it looks like a fancy espresso with a design

1 Like

If the incubator is open/uncovered then I would suspect it would be susceptible to ambient temperature differential which would effect/vary the effective temperature the eggs are attempting to be being kept at …the fluctuating temp is more likely to be cause of the problem…I have only used covered incubators with automatic temp controlled fans etc and they are for snake eggs so I’m just hypothesizing really :stuck_out_tongue:

That was the fancy espresso I took a 2000 mile train trip for :slight_smile: It was at Saint Franks in San Fransisco, it was delicious. (My husband bought me an Amtrak Trip for our 10 year Anniversary) It’s fun to tell people we went 2000 miles for a cup of coffee… But we really did it for this:

The California Zephyr From Chicago to San Fransisco goes through the Rockies. He had never seen the Rockies. The only way you can see a lot of these Canyon’s is to hug a wall on a train. If you look to the center left you can see the tracks. It’s kind of a scary deal but it’s beautiful.

3 Likes