First time post!

Yep, I agree with that… :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Welcome @Scotty. You’ll find plenty of custard help here.

6 Likes

Welcome @Scotty. I love nothing more than a good custard myself for which there are many variations like butterscotch caramel cookies nuts and so on and I personally don’t find them boring in the least.
As already mentioned though they do improve greatly with a good long steep sometimes even for months kept away in a cool dark place but it’s well worth the wait and if you carefully plan your mixing rotation you will always have some ready to vape. There are some great custard recipes that you can follow with Yellow Matter Custard being one of my all time favourites because it has that commercial e liquid taste but better.

10 Likes

The ones I like best are the bland custards: specifically because they are bland, you become less conscious of having to taste an’t flavour at all.

They’re pleasant, without needing to grab your attention is what makes custards so good, I think.

7 Likes

“Understated”, opposed to being the attention whores most flavours are always trying to be.

6 Likes

I understand what you mean buddy, trouble with me is my taste buds aren’t the best so lots of e juice can taste bland to me anyway.

7 Likes

I hear you there @Lucas_James_Holden, a lot of them have no taste, or completely different taste to me.

8 Likes

So everything tastes nice and bland like custard you don’t need to pay attention to :slight_smile:

That’s alright… better than always having your tastebuds tell you there’s a flavour in amongst the dozen or more you can’t quite place :smirk:

Can’t be annoyed by ‘off notes’ either if you cannot taste them, though you also can’t get the full impact of any amazing flavours hmm…

4 Likes

Hi robin,

Nice to meet a fellow female mixer!! I am as well. Just wasn’t sure what name to use when signing up for the site. I’ve looked over a lot of the custard recipes and I see this mixture a lot. What is the reasoning to use cotton candy? I’ve seen other people say it works much like ethyl maltol. Is it for flavor or thinning agent? I can’t seem to work out what the point is.

8 Likes

Presumably used because it’s sweet without having much actual flavour if it’s anything like real fairy floss, which usually tastes like nothing but ‘sweet’, though the pink makes us think we’re eating something whith flavour in it.

Though nowadays, there’s all different colours of cotton candy and they might have actual flavour in some.

In a custard mix though it would add sweetness without adding actual sucralose, which isn’t something we like adding because it hunks coils up faster the more you use.

5 Likes

I won’t complain about prices, I promise. I reside in America but have a company in Australia and travel there 6 x’s per year. Well that is until the covid. Haven’t been to Oz since Feb 20. So strange not to travel. But can’t say I miss the long flights. I do miss my fellow Aussies and not quit the same not seeing them in person. What state are you in Guido? Seems like America and Oz are both out in the cold when it comes to vaping. So much for science. This is another reason I’m DIY now. Tired of the threat of some type of ban and then it actually happening. Ridiculous!

8 Likes

NSW, of course :slight_smile:

No other state even counts :smirk:

It’s an excellent interest to pursue I was saying earlier tonight, because even once you’ve mixed yourself a recipe that mix will change after you mix it as it steps and there’s nothing you need to do but get it out and try it, which teaches you how ther flavours change and how long they take to steep to their full potential and every interaction you have with any flavour teaches you a little more about how these flavours interact with each other :slight_smile:

There’s also the tastes of flavours you like as well as the smells and like I just mentioned once you’ve got a few flavours you love and have used them a bit you start thinking in terms of “nutty” and “creamy” and “warm” and “bakery”, instead of thinking of specific flavour names or labels.

The more you play around with them I mean, the better you get at playing around with them and you don’t really need tutorials or much guidance at all since your tastebuds, nose and memory will tell you what you like and which flavours go with which.

4 Likes

I gotta go to sleep soon cause it’s midnight here, but I will st before I do: as well as sticking with the good brands of flavours and avoiding no-name crap that’ll only disappoint you, try and double-up on flavours you think you’ll like right from the start.

If you’re into desserts and bakery juices I mean, don’t JUST order one cream flavour, order Sweet Cream AND Vanilla Cream AND Whipped cream - because you’ll always end up wanting more than one to layer-up the creaminess.

Instead of just grabbing one strawberry get Wild Strawberry, Glazed Strawberry and Strawberry Ripe.

That kinda thing: you will use them all, and even slightly different amounts of each will give you a different strawberry flavour in your mixes.

4 Likes

You don’t have to buy three of every flavour of course, but you’ll already know if you like biscuits better than fruit or cream better than cola so if you are adding something you think you’ll like to your cart and there are different versions of that flavour in different brands, or different types of that flavour, add a few so you don’t end up with only one strawberry - knowing it’s a bit one- dimensional on its own and wishing you had another one or two to boost that single flavour :smirk:

3 Likes

Ah, that is the problem for me. I don’t like overly sweet juices at all. A good majority of our juices over here are too sweet and gunk up coils so fast. I avoid them. A couple of trips back, I tried to buy some juice in Oz as I know they don’t use a lot of sweetener. I gave up on my endeavor, knowing I didn’t have nicotine at home. Pretty bummed I didn’t get any.

3 Likes

Well, Aussie water from the tap is a lot better than USA tap water. Seriously.

4 Likes

Long as you don’t add sweetener no juice will be overly sweet with only flavours.

You can still b order nic base here and have it DHL delivered in 2 days: it’s pretty quick :slight_smile:

Ir next time, remember to bring a little 100mL chubby gorilla full of nicotine base over with you, then buy whichever 0mg juice you like :wink:

4 Likes

Of course, der :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Love NSW and that is where my business is. Wetherill Park to be exact. I usually spend the week in Parra and then go to the BM to blow off steam for the weekend or run around Syd CBD. All good. I am a bit worried about this mixing stuff. I had really high hopes when I first purchased what I thought I would need for basic mixes but now I’m a bit full of anxiety. Geez

3 Likes

What did you buy that’s got you so worried?

All you REALLY need is VG, PG, flavours and a scale.

Oh and nicotine base, course.

And bottles, syringes etcetera.

I buy my VG at Coles or Woolies instead of ordering online, and there’s PG in nic base and flavours, so you can mostly skip buying bottles of PG if you don’t have that.

2 Likes