Flavor BAN!

I wonder if (given the relatively short time in transit as compared to shelf-life), temp is really that critical:

A stability study was conducted to understand the quality of e-liquids and how they might impact nicotine concentration. Samples were stored in three types of containers in three conditions:
24 hours light at room temperature;
24 hours dark at room temperature; and
24 hours dark at 40 *C.
They were samples periodically and analyzed by LC-MS/MS. The concentration of nicotine decreased significantly from time 0 through time 12 weeks, and then plateaued for the remaining time when exposed to light conditions. For example, the 36 mg/mL sample kept in 24 hour light at room temperature decreased to 27.8 mg/mL in 12 weeks. The container type (glass, plastic, and amber glass) did not impact the concentration of nicotine in the sample. The concentration of nicotine in commercial samples deteriorated from 20.5 mg/mL to 13.2 mg/mL in 12 weeks and then plateaued. However, no statistically significant difference exists between light and RT, dark and RT, and dark and refrigerated (Figure 18).

2 Likes

They have a really good price on a gallon, which I might consider if current legislation trends proceed. If I go that route I’m going to get a standalone freezer first.

3 Likes

Roger that @anon36682625.

2 Likes

I have noticed one thing about aged nicotine that I find interesting. When I began DIY in late 2014, I ordered a couple 250mg bottles of Nude Nicotine Armor bottles. Recently I got to the bottom of one of them and pulled out the stopper (hermetic permeable seal to keep in the argon top layer) and left the remainder of the bottle say 50ml’s in the glass amber bottle in my coleman cooler chest which I use to store my open “working” nicotine. In less then 30 days it oxidized significantly to a deep amber brownish color. The taste is still fine (no pepper) but the color is offish. I’m thinking that perhaps the age of the nic made it oxidize at a much quicker rate then normal at room temp. I have other (newer) nic that is kept dark at room temp that barely oxidizes at all even after 4 months.

2 Likes

Very interesting details @HVPGH I too am an Armor/Argon customer.

1 Like

Perhaps the larger amount of air in the bottle (250 mL ?) filled with ~50 mL was a factor ? Other than that, chemical reaction-rates (roughly) double with every 10 *C (18 *F) increase. Photons make some difference.

5 Likes

Yeah, I probably should have transferred it to a 50ml bottle. I bought a bunch of glass (glass bottle outlets) when I first started out. I like storing nic in the freezer in 250ml aliquots or my whole freezer section would end up with a ton of bottles.

3 Likes

I bought 1L pg and vg 100mg nic from Carolina Extractors. Its expensive but they claim a 5 year shelf life and say not to freeze it. I’m down to 2mg so taste wise I’m not sure its worth the extra money, but it comes argon packed and if I get a long shelf life it will be worth it.

5 Likes

They are definitely $$$$…some people swear by their nic though!

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve heard really good things about it but have never used it. I’ve been buying chemnovatic and have been happy with it. I’ve bought Nic Select also and don’t think its as good as the Chemno.

4 Likes

If you’re freakin’ about those Flavorah folks (?), it does appear that their (out-of-state) sales slide by:

WAC 246-80-020 Prohibition.

No person … may sell, offer for sale, or possess with the intent to sell or offer for sale flavored vapor products or any product that he or she knows or reasonably should know will be used with or in a vapor product to create a flavored vapor product.

The foregoing prohibition applies to the sale, offer for sale, or possession with intent to
sell or offer for sale flavored vapor products
at any location or by any means in this state …

3 Likes

Not freaking out… but I am running late, less than a few sips of coffee… this post… I need tooth picks to prop eyes open and late getting out the door… ugg… morning :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Government FAILING Public Health https://youtu.be/ut70d-nUWPc via @YouTube

3 Likes

So it’s all pot’s problem because it is like heroin and opioids? hmmn…

2 Likes

Regarding Washington State Flavor Ban:

As I have in previously noted, these (entirely subjective, and in denial of the plethora of non-tobacco plant flavorings that are used in the processing of virtually all tobacco-leaf products) “taste/aroma” criteria beg to be shot full of holes as entirely non-objective and clearly impossible to administer in a coherent, equally applied manner. Imagine judges or juries poking their snouts into bottles, and emerging with a “fair verdict”.

Characterizing flavor” means a distinguishable taste or aroma, or both, other than the taste or aroma of tobacco or marijuana or a taste or aroma derived from compounds or derivatives such as terpenes or terpenoids derived directly and solely from marijuana, as defined in RCW 69.50.101(y), or hemp plants that have been grown and tested as required by state law, imparted by a vapor product. Characterizing flavors include, but are not limited to, tastes or aromas relating to any fruit, chocolate, vanilla, honey, candy, cocoa, dessert, alcoholic beverage, menthol, mint, wintergreen, herb, or spice. A vapor product does not have a characterizing flavor solely because of the use of additives or flavorings or the provision of ingredient information. It is the presence of a distinguishable taste or aroma, or both, that constitutes a characterizing flavor.

Such butt-headed thinking (and the likely inevitable challenges of the hopeless vagary of such “taste/aroma” rule criteria) will lead to what the State of California legislature was contemplating creating by statute, in order to accompany the flavor ban that (thankfully) did not make it out of congressional committee in the Summer of 2019 - a “flavoring registry” where some butt-headed public agency (like a liquor/cannabis control board, etc) would create a list of allowed (“sacred”) and prohibited (“profane”) additive molecules, likely to the ultimate dis-satisfaction of just about all “stakeholders” and “constituents” involved and affected.

Very likely the major reason that the California flavor ban legislation failed was that they (in the draft legislation) were going to apply such standards equally to all tobacco-leaf products as well as vaping products - a gauntlet that tobacco-leaf products (chocked with a plethora of non-tocacco flavor additives) could never successfully run, and which would also expose protected “trade secrets” of “Big Tobacco”.

:thinking:

4 Likes

I am nearly convinced that the respective governments that are drafting this BS think that the addition nicotine makes it taste like tobacco. I don’t think they are aware that nicotine is tasteless and there are actually flavourings that taste of tobacco.

5 Likes

(October 9, 2019): “Oregon Health Authority Holds Daily Meetings To Prepare For Flavored Vape Ban

The Oregon Health Authority is holding daily meetings to figure out new rules for the governor’s six-month ban on flavored vaping products. … OHA spokesperson, Jonathan Modie, said they’re figuring out everything from how to enforce the ban, to what constitutes a flavor. “The temporary rules will define what a flavored vaping product is,” Modie said. “Those would include sort of the obvious ones, the fruit flavored ones, the cotton candy flavored ones and those things. It also would apply to menthol.” Modie expects any flavor that makes vape easier to consume, to be banned. But nicotine and cannabis are not expected to be listed as flavors. … The OHA plans to file temporary rules by the end of the week. … Enforcement of flavored vape products containing nicotine will fall to the state police and local county health departments. … The OLCC expects to be running compliance checks as early as this weekend.

:roll_eyes: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bear_police
Captain Scratch-N-Sniff
“Can I Taste Your Juice?”

2 Likes
8 Likes

“Vapor product” means any noncombustible product that may
contain nicotine or a marijuana product and that employs a heating
element, power source, electronic circuit, or other electronic,
chemical, or mechanical means, regardless of shape or size, that can
be used to produce vapor or aerosol from a solution or other substance …

Umm, not a lawyer but does this cover asthma inhalers since they create an aerosol by mechanical means?

5 Likes

I wana know why they are talking about birthing centers and “Any assisted living facility”…

3 Likes