Flavor Percentage

I currently use Flavor West Flavorings. A lot of the flavorings say to use 15-22% flavor concentrate. I have been doing 30% on a lot of my juices, is this bad? Could this have a negative effect on the juice? Please give me feedback

Thank you

Are you doing single flavors or combos/recipes? The only reason it might be ‘bad’ is that sometimes too much flavor will have the opposite effect and you wind up not being able to taste anything. Most people try to keep their total flavor below 20% but that isn’t a hard and fast rule. Do whatever works for you.

Hey JoJo! I am using different flavors. One of my blends I use 3 flavors (10% each) Another I use 6 flavors with a breakdown of (9,5,4,4,2,2,2)

Like I said, if it works, it works. Go with it! FW are definitely less concentrated than some of the other flavors out there so you’re probably fine. You could try halving everything and see if you still get the flavor you’re wanting if for no other reason than to save money. :wink:

1 Like

***Disclaimer: the previous chart is my opinion only. Dual-users can live their lives however they want, regardless of my opinions.

11 Likes

What brand flavors do you like best?

I don’t think I could pick just one. Each one has different flavors that I feel like I couldn’t live without. I’d probably say I use Flavorah, FA, and Inawera the most.

1 Like

Flavorah? Never heard of them. So not a big fan of FW eh?

FW has a few good flavors, but speaking from personal experience, if you buy a bunch of randomish FW flavorings based on their names sounding like things you’d like, you might be very let down with about half of what you get.

1 Like

Whats your favorite FW? And Favorite of all time any brand?

Favorite FW: Cinnamon Roll
Favorite any: tough call, maybe OSDIY Lucky Shot. That’s kind of cheating tho cuz it’s actually a blend of other flavors.

2 Likes

Not really. I’m not totally opposed, I just haven’t had anything by them that I feel like totally outweighs anything else out there. I also don’t have a ton of their flavors, so I don’t have a lot of experience to go on.

Flavorah is relatively new to the flavor scene, but they have a lot of really good flavors. There’s a thread here if you wanna check it out.

Thank you,
Are there any advantageous or disadvantages using flavors that are so concentrated? I see you only need 5-6% of flavorah and FW is like 20-25% if I remember correctly

The biggest advantages are that using less flavor is more cost effective and also better for people who want as little PG as possible. Most flavors are based in PG and a lot of people are sensitive or allergic to PG, so having to use less means the final liquid is low in PG. The disadvantage is that there is a larger chance for error. Sometimes an extra drop or two means drastically different tasting liquid. For example, IMO Flavorah’s Lime is super strong. A single drop is good for 10-15ml, two or three and that is all I will taste as it overpowers everything else.

2 Likes

Agreed I love that! I use it in one of my favorite recipes, Frosted Cinnamon Roll. It is just the best hah definitely on my can’t live without list.

Also, are cappella flavors concentrated? They don’t seem to be considering a lot of recipes I have seen use 20% flavorings

Capella, FW, and most TPA are diluted enough that you could do a mix with a total 20% and it wouldn’t be unreasonable.

I wouldn’t go that high single flavor except for very few specific flavorings. FW Grape comes to mind, but I’d never reorder that one even if it were more concentrated.

Who makes concentrated flavors? Just flavorah?

Yes Capella are concentrated, just not as concentrated as some of the others. Flavor West, Pefumer’s/Flavor Apprentice, and Capella are on the less concentrated side while Flavorah, Inawera, and Flavour Art are on the more concentrated side. The most concentrated you can get is going to be something like Medicine Flower or other raw extracts. They are straight extract, not diluted in any way, and extremely strong.

3 Likes

What are advantageous and disadvantages of each?
Also can you combine Flavorah and FW? Like if FW recommends 20% and Flavorah Recommends 5% (Can you do 2.5% Flavorah and 10% FW?)