Flavor Substitution Thread

My opinion isnt the one that matters, hehe. But looking at your flavor stash i would say no and i would also say that it might be time for an intervention, rofl!

I used Simply Van a lot when i went full Custarded for a couple years. But as always happened i needed something else and found better options like Van MF which replaced Simply Van CAP after the first sniff. Its not a bad Vanilla, very plain, but its name is entirely accurate.

EDIT: I think you have more Vanilla flavors in your stash than i have flavors total in mine, lol. Awesome.

5 Likes

Thank you, you just saved me $1.75 for a 10ml bottle, :rofl: and I wish I knew about this group before I spent all this $ buying flavors I probably will never use since I have drastically narrowed my profile down to bold, fruity, tropical flavors. You are the Custard Guy :egg: :milk_glass: :custard:, I am the Fruit Gal (but not banana) :grapes: :melon: :watermelon: :tangerine: :lemon: :pineapple: :mango: :apple: :green_apple: :pear: :peach: :cherries: :strawberry: :blueberries: :kiwi_fruit: :coconut:.

4 Likes

It is NOT something to be proud of, it is just collecting dust since I have narrowed my profile and I created too many holes in my walls for the nail polish racks.
Do you need anything that I have?

4 Likes

@Ken_O_Where
One more q for you. Your Strawnana Custard gets so many rave reviews but I hate banana. How prominent is the banana in your recipe?

4 Likes

Yep, we have all done that. I dont know how many flavors i threw out when we moved, but it was a lot, a lot lot.

I dont know how many old 4oz bottles direct from TPA and CAP… Back then to get cheap flavors you had to buy direct and the price difference between a 30ml and 120ml of TPA with bulk account was so little that it was stupid to buy a 30, or so i thought.

Now i rarely buy 4oz of anything, maybe 10 flavors. There is something new to try every freaking day anymore.

Even after chucking a ton of flavors i still have way too freaking many so thank you but i dont “need” anything. My mixing life is now complete with the monster bottle of Italian Cream Hangsen that was sent to me.

Tricky question. While i perceived it as a well balanced combination there are many who called it more of a banana custard and some who couldnt really taste the banana. I tasted every bit of it. These days i couldnt even vape it out of a POD device, i have had enough for eternity, hehe.
I have a 5 year old bottle sitting here that i found a week or so ago, still smells good tho and it was a half strength mix… Thought i tossed it but nope.

https://i.imgur.com/scRckQr.jpeg

5 Likes

Thank you for answering all my q’s. Have a great night.

4 Likes

@KC111 I can’t speak for everyone, but there isn’t a “best” vanilla. There are “best for” vanillas out there, and some work better for some things than others, but if you ARE a vanilla head, picking up a few will probably work out best for you.

4 Likes

This might or might not be useful to you but I remember being told many years ago by a good source (can’t remember who) that DIYFS used TPA RY4D in their Holy Grail RY4 blended along with some other TPA flavours. If this is the case then there is a good chance that they did similar with their Holy Vanilla as I think the two flavours were released around the same time. That is all I have to offer sadly but I thought it might be worth taking into consideration. They could have also used Capella and FW as they were the main players back then along with TPA.

6 Likes

Very helpful information that makes perfect sense, thank you. I assumed that it was an original propriety flavor since Dawn had her own lab.

6 Likes

Nah, I am mostly a Mango Head like the Mango Mafia. :rofl:

5 Likes

That very well could be. I picked up a 30ml of TPA Vanilla Bourbon from diyvaporsupply last year. It’s an awfully dark and delicious vanilla flavor. I had heard it was discontinued though I can’t figure out why it’s really good.

6 Likes

Fantastic, thank you! Makes sniffing on all these different vanilla and cream flavors a bit more worth it.

5 Likes

Is this ^^^ the same as Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla (TPA)?

Hmmm, DIYVaporSupply shows 2 different kind by the same vendor?

5 Likes

They are two different vanilla’s, the Madagascar vanilla is actually a brighter tasting vanilla.

6 Likes

Madagascar Bourbon is the non-flammable version of Bourbon Vanilla. Essentially they are the same, just different flavor carriers.

6 Likes

Thank you @McDuckie @TorturedZen

4 Likes

Well, I am not a fan of substitution in recipes as a concept: If you change any one flavour in a recipe, then you’ve either created a new recipe or an analogue of the original.

6 Likes

Technically, yes. But where would ELR’s plethora of recipes be without 1 tiny substitution? Lot’s of people rationalize that to claim an ‘original recipe’ status. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

6 Likes

I don’t think it’d cause much confusion, particularly as many new originals tend to include the orginal’s name: Being doubly creative would stretch the fabric of reality.

3 Likes

I have so many flavors, that I rarely have to sub, and off the top of my head, I don’t have an actual list, but if someone asks, “What can I sub for …”, then I try and come up with one.

6 Likes