Flavor Substitution Thread

@fidalgo_vapes
How do I pin TZ’s comments and other’s comments similar to this to appear at the top of the thread???

2 Likes

He sure has. I remember him getting a regular mention on the YouTube show called Developed with Folkart and Co. I miss that show.

4 Likes

There isnt an option like that as far as i know

2 Likes

@KC111

My $0.02… Edit your orgianl post- and toss in TZ’S comments below your OG post. That way they will always be right on top!!! :muscle:

2 Likes

Awesome, great idea :bulb:! Will do that much later when I get back into town after dr. appts and errands. Thank you for that.

2 Likes

First, i dont know what the hell i was smoking yesterday but id like to start over, so today i decided not to consume any THC via combustion as it has an affect on both my taste and smell receptors.
Second, today i took my Holy Van and put it in a clear bottle and did some visual comparisons.
Third, i mixed a small batch of each, 1% Van MF and 2% Holy Van.

So for visual observations, you can see that Holy Van is considerably darker than the OG Van MF, i do not have any newer version of it.

I still say there is something like a molasses smell in the Holy Van but outside of that they both smell very similar and if i had to pick out one from the other in a blind smell test i doubt that i could. Yet there is that “something darker” smell from the HVan.

I wont vape test these for a few days but ill be back with some updates and maybe some thoughts on subs. On the knuckle they both taste quite similar as well so that is unhelpful as i cant really pick out the difference, just something darker, HVan, is the only way i can describe the difference.

@fidalgo_vapes might be on to something with Smooth Van FLV in concert with MF, i do have it as well so i can do some tests if there is enough difference between MF and HVan. But if the vape test doesnt shed some light on the darker notes in HVan then ill stick with the 1:2 sub that has worked for me in the past.

6 Likes

Would that “1:2 sub” be 1 part Vanilla MF to 2 part Smooth Vanilla FLV?

3 Likes

Nope, 1 Van MF to 2 HVan as it is around 50% as potent as MF Van OG. Outside of the strength difference there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of difference between them. I havent done any tests with Smooth Van FLV yet but it is a bit closer in color to HVan than Van MF.

I hope that clarifies it a bit but after i wrote the original and was finished sniff testing i grabbed a d00bie so i am a bit tarded.

4 Likes

Yes, you clarified it, that is what I thought you meant, but I was trying to find a sub for HV, so then I asked myself “What is the 1:2 sub for those that don’t have HV?”
Thanks @Ken_O_Where

4 Likes

It’s a while since I’ve used this one but if my memory serves me correctly it was really strong, I’m pretty sure I used this at 0.2%

I thought I had some Holy Vanilla, looks like I barely touched it

7 Likes

Not really sure what i was saving it for but thats over with, time to use it before it goes off.

Yeah, that Smooth Van is some uber potent stuff, not really a complete vanilla but a great additive for sure.

Got any of the MF Vanilla’s or Madagascar Van FA for comparisons? I cant find my Mad Van FA anywhere.

EDIT: There was another FLV Van released in the same batch release, was it Van Bean? I remember it being considerably darker tasting than this.

Edit to me Edit: Yeah, Van bean FLV. This might work if the taste tests say it needs to be darker.

7 Likes

Yeah, I’ve got both of them out now and I’ve got Vanilla Bean as well.

6 Likes

While Van Bean is closer in color to Van MF it smells nothing like either. Van MF and HVan smell creamy, if that makes sense, Van Bean almost light has a smoked smell. I just had Smooth Van and i cant find it since i put it back on the shelves…

5 Likes

MF smells the closest but there is something else in HV as well. I agree smells creamy too. I think you may have been onto something also with Madagascar, there’s something in that I think I pick up in HV. I’m thinking a mix of that and MF going by nose.

5 Likes

Ill have to grab Mad Van, pretty sure it was tossed out a couple weeks ago when i went through some old flavors. I do remember it having a similar kind of something that my nose couldnt figure out.

I refound Smooth Van Flv, it doesnt have that note/notes either. Im still thinking a brown sugar or molasses kind of dark note.

All i know is that after all this sniffing i need to make some recipes for all of these flavors, or some more recipes i should say.

6 Likes

You are sitting on some liquid gold, according to many. I wouldn’t know, but you are lucky.

5 Likes

I don’t think the FLV ones are the answer, either. I need to do some mixing now to find, it’s gonna annoy me otherwise.

Yes again, our noses are on the same page.

I used it only once or twice and looking at the date it would have been in the first few batches I got, but it wasn’t a WOW flavour for me.

6 Likes

Im in the same boat, i have everything even remotely Van smelling on my desk right now with a bag of Qtips for flavor sniffing.

Totally agree with this too, sure its a nice vanilla but there are many better ones out there.
So while i was doing some sniffing from bottles i went to grab Simply Van CAP and instead grabbed Caramel CAP, it too has that dark smell but it is way dark yet it has similarities as well. Maybe a dash of caramel in Van MF might do it. Caramel CAP is way too dark but there are lighter caramels. Still have around 30 flavors on my desk to sniff on, if i dont pass out from all this oxygen…

After smelling both Van MF and HolyVan for hours now i would just grab me a bottle of Van MF and go with it, they are so similar that any differences would like be covered in a mix, especially a heavy cream or custard. Unfortunately i wont be able to stop until i find what that dark note is.

Just to add a bit more, i grabbed Van Pudding FLV and while the dark aint quite there they dont smell all that different.

So i dont remember much of their history. Does anyone know what their batch house was like? Were they a large scale flavor company? This stiff seems to me to be a natural extract instead of an artificial flavor.

I went in the kitchen and grabbed both the Tahitian Van and Mad Van extracts i made, beans/vodka/time, and maybe a mixture of both these kind of beans/flavor types would work.

6 Likes

Is that flavor worth getting, in your opinion?

2 Likes

Does anyone reading this have a preference which MF Vanilla is best? The original, the light, the dark, the silver or French Vanilla?

Which vanilla by MF is your preference?

3 Likes