Frontier communications

I’m back after a grueling two days of bullshit from FC DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM IF YOU CAN AVOID IT AT ANY AND ALL COSTS.

1 Like

So where is everybody, @VapeyMama @Pugs1970 you guys floating around out there in cyberspace? Anything exciting happen while I was gone

I’m floating around… We start homeschool next Tuesday so I’m caught between needing to finish prepping for that and wanting to enjoy the rest of my summer vacation by vegging out on the internet… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Is this the first year you’ve homeschooled? I did my youngest son one year. He had some problems

Nope, fifth year. Going well so far!

ever so sorry sir :grin:, early one at work today so had an early night, up at 6am, it’s this time of day that ELR just dies for me, speak to you in the afternoon (mine) lol :+1:

Hi Vapeymama. just out of pure quoriosity,we don`t have the opportunity to take our children out of school for home school in my country in Europe.Is there some scheduals you have to go trough? Some demands for the parents skills on teaching. And are the children measured in anyway, opposed tothose who are in public schools? And finally are they taking any public test to prove their learning? Those are some of my concerns in a general basic. But I also see many cons and weakness in the public school system. My country has very weak test results when measured against several other countrys. For the record, I have no reasons what so ever to doubt your skills as a teacher.

3 Likes

I should have been more specific he had some health problems so I home schooled him. the home schooling went great, he finished the year in about 5 months and did a semesters worth of the next year. I worked nights at the time so it worked out great for him.

1 Like

I’m required to teach all of the normal subjects that would be taught in a public school, I just have the freedom to choose how I want to teach them. Our family doesn’t to written tests throughout the year, simply because I can see where they are and how they are doing because of the close interaction I have with them every daY. But every year starting in second grade we’re required to give them nationally recognized standardized achievement tests and they do need to test at a specific level. Every state here is different, but in my state there are no requirements for parents such as being a teaching degree, just again, that the children test at that specific level every year. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh ok, gotcha! That’s too bad about the health issues. But very cool that it worked out for you guys!

1 Like

Oh things worked out well. He’s fine grew up to be a great kid and all that stuff. Gee that was a long time ago come to think of it, he’s 31 now

3 Likes

I’ll be 31 next month. :smile: :tada:

3 Likes

I’d make a comment about me almost leaving school when you were born, but @GPC2012 is in this thread and he’s older than most planets…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Wow…I must say that I commend you immensely on doing homeschooling! I could not do it! I have three boys, two of which have ADHD, and I am almost positive that they would drive me nuts! Plus I am in school myself at the moment, so I wouldn’t be able to even if I wanted to, but all I can say is “You Go Girl”! You get the Mom of the Year award! I just don’t see how you can handle it, you must have the patience of a saint!

2 Likes

I have always had major respect for teachers, whether at home or in a school environment, simply because I know it is not something I could do! Not only that, I feel as if I would be inadequate to teach them, I mean, I’m not stupid by any means, I currently hold a 3.78 undergraduate GPA and a 3.94 major GPA, but I had enough trouble getting my youngest ready to start kindergarten this year!

2 Likes

Then kudos to you from me. I think it is a great opportunity for a family with your skills. As I said I had no reason to doubt your abilities as a teacher, and you confirmed it. I wish we had this opportunity in our country. There are a lot of people who goes out of schools with zero to none skills. So maybe our government should take a good look at your system. I just feel that it`s not for all parents, The motive should be right like in your and @GPC2012 cases. There could be a plethora of reasons to take a child out of public schools, and when it turns at great, then more power to you :slight_smile: I support your decision.

1 Like

Thanks. :slight_smile: I’m no mom of the year, I just love having the opportunity to personalize my kids’ leaning experiences. I learn as we go, too. Personally, I hated school. I got passing grades but barely. I always just did enough to get by. And it wasn’t because I was dumb, I just was bored. I wasn’t interested in what I was being taught. That’s my main reason for homeschooling. I want to have a hand in making sure that my kids enjoy learning and to actually let them have some say in the kinds of things they learn about. And just for the record, I’m totally not dissing on public school. :wink: Homeschooling doesn’t work for everyone and that’s completely fine!

1 Like

Like I said to VapeMama, I support both of yours decisions. And when it turns out great like for you, then I am very happy for your families. In our part of the world (Scandinavia) we are just not familiar with this system. It was not my intention to bash you at all. I was just curious. We do have a group of people who takes their children out of school, and teaches them nothing but stealing and begging. Even that has gotten better the pst decades. If I have offended some, I politely ask for forgiveness :).

2 Likes

No worries! I don’t think you offended anyone. :wink:

Oh yes! I totally understand that! My kids haven’t complained about school yet, granted the oldest is only in 6th grade this year, but if they ever do, or if they have trouble in the future, it is nice to know that homeschooling is an option! But you do deserve some sort of award because I know it takes a lot of time, dedication, and patience to do what you do, so if you want no award, at least accept some praise! I think what you are doing is awesome and you should be very proud of that!

1 Like