FW- Natural Butterscotch or Butterscotch?

If you get out of one rabbit hole you will just fall into another one. No need to fight it, just let it happen :laughing: :laughing:

5 Likes

Aint seen no light yet lol.

4 Likes

Not sure you ever will LoL :laughing:

5 Likes

@Beaufort_Batches I am definitely making this when I get home today! How long of a steep?

3 Likes

To be fair the darkness in here is quite good and im enjoying every second of it lol.

6 Likes

An overnight steep is plentyā€¦:ok_hand:

3 Likes

i havent used brandy but this sound great what is the story behind brandy what does it do for mixes , the reason i ask is im wondering do i get 10ml just for this recipe or is brandy a versatile flave and i get 30ml

1 Like

You certainly did. lol
(Well played I might add!)

Itā€™s from a local St. Louis liquid maker called Gillbert & Parsons, and is called Southern Charm.

http://smokesmartllc.com/products/southern-charm-g-p-30ml?variant=8023871617
Youā€™ll have to scroll down a bit, as the retailerā€™s top section is very intrusive, which is a huge disconnect from the stellar service and support that their staff actually delivers. If I were going by Web presence alone, Iā€™d probably not have stopped in there, fortunately for them (and me), it happened the other way around! I found the retail front first.

Anyways, I believe they (G&P) have changed their formula since the last bottle I bought months ago, because the first few bottles reminded me strongly of a pecan pie filling - which sounds a bit strange once you read the description, but itā€™s what I took from it. Lol

Their last bottle is still good, but itā€™s different. Iā€™m assuming adjustments have been made due to the diacetyl uproarā€¦ But I could be wrong, and itā€™s just a natural progression of the artists behind it. /shrug

Anyways, I started off with the same four ingredients (namesake) and have been refining and balancing for (what seems like) forever and a day now. But yeah, Iā€™m very happy with how mine has been developing, Very close to being done (by comparison)!!

1 Like

Pfffbt. Thereā€™s many lights!

Theyā€™re those little A-HA!! moments when you find the secret missing ingredient in that batch youā€™ve been working onā€¦ The moment you get your vape mail in and crack open that new flavor and go "Oh WOW! This is IT!.. The moment you finally figure out the wicking, or coil size you need for a specific deck!

To me, itā€™s more like an Easter egg hunt. Some of the ones you find are average paint jobs, some are incredible beauties, once in a while you stumble upon something left over from last yearā€™s hunt and itā€™s rotten (fortunately those are rare!), and once in a while you luck into that golden egg that you know will carry you through for a very long while to come!!

Itā€™s all about the journey! =)

6 Likes

Beautifully worded :ok_hand:

4 Likes

It helps bring out the Butterscotch note. Right after mixing, it will taste inherently strong of brandy but an overnight steep or two will smooth and mellow allowing the Brandy to mesh making the Butterscotch richer and flavorful. Adding a touch of Orange and Lemon support causes even a further bond that amplifies Butterscotch. The citrus flavor does need adjusting per user as Butterscotch seems to be an extremely unusual subjective flavor among us in DIY. I donā€™t know why, I just know what tools we can use. Some I know use Bourbon instead of Brandy and Citrus Mix instead of Orange and Lemon. Best advice I guess is to create and dial in your personal custom recipe only if you feel like chasing that Butterscotch Unicornā€¦:wink:

5 Likes

Drooling on the bourbon. Hadnā€™t thought of that.

2 Likes

Well put. That needs to be there for all first time DIY people. Also my tastes are not your tastes.

4 Likes

Thanks for that! I asked because Iā€™ve been working on a clone involving BS tooā€¦
This is where Iā€™m at at the momentā€¦

Dillinger
Butterscotch (FW) 6.5%
Caramel (Original) (TPA) 3%
Salted Caramel (FW) 5%
Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP) 7.5%

Seems like it could be pretty similar to yours minus the Graham Cracker. After a months steep itā€™s certainly tasty - If you were to vape this without knowing what was in it youā€™d probably agree, but in a million years you wouldnt pick the BSā€¦ you get the custard & caramelsā€¦ & something else which is undefinable. Iā€™ve just put it out of my head that its meant to be BS.
As the lead note, I presume you can taste the BS in yours? What %age BS are you using?
Iā€™ve got a brew down at the moment (needs another week 1/2) with the BS at 8% - but prelim taste tests have just given me an extra 1.5% of ā€œundefinableā€:no_mouth:. More ā€œrefining & balancingā€ perhaps.

1 Like

Yesā€¦ nicely worded indeedā€¦a good mantra!

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s definitely present. I finally settled on 8% for the current incarnation that relies on Natural. The next try will keep numbers the same, only using the original BS. But immediately following that, Iā€™m already thinking that the following 2 attempts will be dropped to 6% BS (one natural, one original) and then adding 2% LA BR in each, then compare.

2 Likes

You guys can keep the BS to Low percentage. I do not want a ā€œcrappyā€ flavor in my mixes. Although might add a nuttiness to it.

1 Like

So doing some mixing tonight. I came across one of the flavors I had not used in a very long time. Irish Cream. Took an inhale. Has a very buttery note to it in my opinion. I mixed it with vanilla custard, vanilla bean ice cream, milk, and whipped cream (fw). If you added butterscotch to that you might have your rich and creamy butterscotch.

1 Like

If you are looking for a creamy butterscotch, then FW Butterscotch Ripple is the ā€œoneā€. That stuff at 17-18% with a 4-8 week steep is Amazing. But itā€™s definitely a cream so it doesnā€™t work in all applications. That is my butterscotch crack :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Man, I take a day off, ride my motorcycle, come back here today & all I can say is wow!
Way more opinions than I thought Iā€™d see, and all about as different as each person posting lol. I may end up getting both & after trying them both, maybe start trying combinations of the two, like I tend to do with strawberry, peach & creams. I really appreciate all the replies, itā€™s what makes this place great.

-HRH-

4 Likes