(FW) Yellow Cake recipe change?

Hey y’all, new to the group, have been poking around lots of websites and forum groups. Am excited to get to mixing!

I have a question that I’m hopeful can be answered, I’ve searched through here and elsewhere with no answer. I’ve been reading about FW’s Yellow Cake. I saw that in years past, folks have said not to use it because it has “fructose” in it.

However, when looking at FW’s SDS, it lists PG and glycerol as ingredients. Glycerol is different than fructose. Glycerol is not a sugar, but more so resembles PG than fructose, even though it is sweet. My question is; has the recipe changed, and if so; is it safe to use now? I cannot find the MSDS, only the SDS. Am I just getting hung up on terminology, or are they calling fructose glycerol incorrectly?

Thanks in advance!
(Pics of the SDS of FW’s website)

8 Likes

If it was reformulated thats news to me…Fructose is something to stay away from for the most part BUT in FW Yellow Cakes case its good to be bad sometimes and I love it …

7 Likes

Welcome to ELR @ohkaye1995 :call_me_hand:
Some flavors have nasties in them but a whole lot less than cigarettes!

6 Likes

Well, I’m not that great at math, but lets just say on the high end that the extract is 10% fructose, then used in your flavor mix at say, 7%, I’m not exactly sure where the decimal point lands, but that ends up being minimal amounts of fructose in the big picture, like what, .007?
If you are vaping ten ML a day, you are consuming, based on 7%, 70 milligrams of the extract, and at that made up 10% usage of fructose within the extract, 7 milligrams of fructose totalor less than 1 milligram per milliliter.

4 Likes

Flavor West has historically been extremely bad about disclosing questionable ingredients, and they (at least in the past) have a habit of copying information from one SDS to another without thinking. I remember the good old days when every one of their flavors somehow had exactly the same specific gravity. Does specific gravity matter to vaping? Not really. Is it troublesome that they were obviously duplicating information instead of testing their flavors? Leeeeetle bit.

I saw recently that at some point they started disclosing their DAAP levels instead of pretending all flavors were DAAP free. Guess the backlash about that got to them. I was delighted. I was about to make a giant order of FW when I saw that they’d indicated in one place that a certain flavor had DAAP (or someone had tested it during the ancient controversial years, I’m not sure). Then in their DAAP levels sheet, mysteriously the flavor was missing, and on the store page it said if the flavor wasn’t on that sheet, it did not contain DAAP.

So was it reformulated? Did they miss it on the sheet? Or is it just them being very weird about disclosure again? No way to know, I just closed out and went on my merry way. I use flavors with DAAP, but I like to know the content so I can formulate at safe levels.

Their yellow cake is very good, though. Like, very, very good. Like “how worried are you about cancer, really?” good. So I hope they have reformulated (if they have, they will never tell you).

4 Likes

Oh, and welcome to the wonderful world of DIY, @ohkaye1995!

5 Likes

Welcome to ELR @ohkaye1995.

In the past, FW’s SDS weren’t the best let’s say …

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/49f487/just_got_off_the_phone_with_flavor_west/?rdt=51119

Here you go …

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi4xtfHxeiBAxUflYkEHX59D2IQFnoECBcQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.flavorwest.com%2Fmedia%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct%2Fy%2Fe%2Fyellow_cake_flavor_n_a_fw-cak_1.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2iXP4PNv9puel0B-EhdPsp&opi=89978449

4 Likes

I’ll be damned, @SessionDrummer. It was too naive of me to think they might’ve changed the recipe and removed the not-so-good stuff.

I’m kind of with everyone else; I’ve heard it tastes amazing and the little I’ll be using isn’t going to sway me too much from AT LEAST trying it, lol. To @Chef_Johnny’s point, even at the 20-30% mark, there’s still only minimal amounts in what’s being mixed with.

Thanks so much for your responses, everyone. I’ve been in the industry pretty much since the beginning, got my first cig-a-like from a mall kiosk, and the rest is history. Just really don’t know why I’ve waited this long to start mixing!
Most of my supplies should be here this week, got a good list of flavors to start with, and am just Guna start tinkering!
Thanks again y’all!

6 Likes

Ooh, what did you get?

2 Likes

@mr_cumulus, a fair bit to start with! These were what I figured I could make my favorite type of juices with, but I already have a handful of other flavors on my shopping list! I think it’s amazing that this website/forum exists and that one can input data, save information, etc… Really happy to have found my way here!

Any “must-haves” you’d recommend that I don’t have? As you can see i prefer a dessert/creamy profile.

5 Likes

Welcome to the ELR forum @ohkaye1995. You have some very good flavours on your list, a few more of the staples that I can recommend is TPA Peanut Butter DX, FW Hazelnut, TPA Graham Cracker Clear and Liquid Barn Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.

6 Likes

I second TPA Peanut Butter DX, I think it’s the best peanut butter out there, even better than the original was.

Also would recommend in no particular order CAP Cinnamon Danish Swirl (solid cinnamon bakery base), FA Cookie (good cookie but also helps build crusts), FA Meringue (the only one you’ll ever need), FLV Frosting (fantastic basic frosting), LA Cream Cheese Icing (the iconic cream cheese frosting, no one has matched it yet imo), CAP Cereal 27 (you can use it like a less harsh acetyl pyrazine for baked notes, and it’s also just a good cereal).

CAP Vanilla Cupcake V2 might fit in with what you have too. It’s not really a cupcake like V1. There are cake notes but it’s more of a thick frosting that fits pretty well with cakes and cookies

6 Likes

@Lucas_James_Holden @mr_cumulus, thanks for the recommendations!
Will be adding those to my list for the next round of ordering!

5 Likes

Welcome and glad you joined.

5 Likes

Welcome to ELR @ohkaye1995 :tada:

3 Likes

Great job on imputing your flavorings, thanks for taking the time to do it right, much appreciated.

6 Likes

@SessionDrummer @mr_cumulus @Ken_O_Where @ anyone who might help. For some reason i cannot post in the e-liquid section of the forum. Do any of you happen to know where to get One on One’s Strawberry Jam? I cannot find it ANYWHERE. If it is discontinued, do you have a recommendation for a spot on strawberry jam? I have Cap Sweet Currant on the way to try and blend the strawberries i have into more of a jam, but id like a more simple flavor to work with, too.

3 Likes

Either at OOO direct or from Amazon…Where do you live ??

4 Likes

If you go on their site, it’s not listed anywhere, and i cannot find it on Amazon, or any reputable site for that matter :face_exhaling:
I live in the US. Maryland, specifically.

4 Likes

Nomnomz. Shipping is affordable to the US. Don’t forget to use 12% discount.
https://nomnomz.co.uk/collections/one-on-one-flavors/products/strawberry-jam-one-on-one?variant=45141915042100

6 Likes