Games Of Our Youth

What games (non video) do you remember/miss playing from when you were a kid?

My favorites from my days were Skelzies, Manhunt, Hide The Belt, Kill the Man with the Ball, Manhole to Manhole Football.

2 Likes

Does Marbles count?
Spent hours in the yard, bent over a circle, lining up my shots!
Cat Eyes, Tigers, and Steely’s.
Thanks, nice to think back on a time, when time stood still.

2 Likes

Spin the bottle. I have seven sisters so growing up with sleep overs and girls all over the house I always got dragged into spin the bottle or truth or dare

6 Likes

We used to make up all sorts of games. The most thrilling of which involved a landscaping railroad tie that had a hive of bees in it. The object of the game was to jump on it enough to rile up the bees and escape without getting stung.

Sometimes I honestly don’t know how I survived to adulthood.

3 Likes

Uno was always a good one.

So was slap fight with my sister. But that ended after she cut me with a pair of scissors. lol.

2 Likes

Kick the can, backyard football, monopoly, and (ick) war. The little sister loved to play war and big brother had to keep her occupied. I can really relate to “make love not war”.

2 Likes

Absolutely counts. I remember ESPN used to show marble tournaments. :smile:

one word: lucky hahahaha

Maybe those games helped us make it to adulthood lol.

Holy crap that made me choke on my beer lmao

War the card game?

1 Like

Brings back memories. Cootie, Mr Potato Head,clip on over shoes steel roller skates, Mumblety-peg goes on and on.

3 Likes

Awesome list.

1 Like

Yes…the most boring card game that exists

1 Like

Tether-ball, Jacks, ‘Cowboys and Indians’ ( ok, I had three
slightly younger brothers. What can I say… ), Later on, I loved softball.

4 Likes

Yes definitely marbles, kick the can, levo (hide and seek on a large scale), conkers and the best and most played in the uk… Football.
Edit. What about Operation? Remember that one? Spent hours on that with my sisters (4), no brothers. :weary:

2 Likes

bb gun wars in the woods that eventually evolved into paintball gun wars in the woods … lots of fun but often painful. Lol

3 Likes

Christmas tree forts [after everyone threw their trees in the alley]
You and your buds would build the biggest fort you could, then send out ‘troops’ to steal the best trees from the other forts. Always had to be guarded 24hrs/day, even if you had to sneak out your window at night.
Whoever had the biggest fort…when the needles dried up on the branches, won.

4 Likes

That’s for sure. I was already bored from the first shuffle :smile:

nothing like getting the tether ball to smack your brother or friend in the face lol

conkers?

lmao! amazing[quote=“ozo, post:14, topic:61520”]
Christmas tree forts
[/quote]

hands down one of the most original games I’ve ever heard of. brilliant!

Conkers are from the chestnut tree, not the sweet chestnuts you eat, the other one’s.
They were left to dry and threaded with some string and the idear was you had to smash your opponents conker off the string without smashing yours.
There was some skinned knuckles, but we had fun.
It’s a British thing. :wink:

2 Likes

I remember playing Cowboys and Indians, war with BB guns, making tons of forts. Red rover, hide n seek. As well as monopoly, strategic, sorry, red line green light.

Tried marbles and jacks too I wasn’t that great n tether ball always smacked me in the face so I gave up😊

4 Likes

BB guns/manhunt… Plastic BBs were not sick or anything haha…
Lot of tag games that I can’t remember, flashlight, tv tag, etc…
Risk… Life… Statego was a great game that we still buy versions of today… Phase 10 we played but originally learned to play with regular playing cards…
Marco polo when it came time to swim…

Actually heard some kids playing there version of cowboys Indians… Lets just say the cops weren’t on the winning team, how times have changed right?

3 Likes

that does sound fun lol

1 Like

Badmitton!

5 Likes