Gardening and Hydroponics (food shortages)

yeah, buying an electric PH meter at the end of the month. One I had ordered was undeliverable by amazon… Gonna check their light pricing as well.

5 Likes

I have lights already, some pink ones, some white ones but for some reason the brand I bought, I thought were the same but don’t connect… I have a system and some buckets rigged up and ready, the amount of light I get in the room I have it all in isn’t enough, but was told the full spectrum LEDs are just far better for growing

6 Likes

I was skeptical of LEDs when they first came to market. I imagine they have improved quite a bit since my grow days but back then 1000W metal halide lights were the way to go. Still are. Both types have their pros and cons tho.

4 Likes

Had both back in the day. Used the halides on my tomatoes and herb. the LED for greens. Both worked well for their purposes. When the halides we’re running you could see the electric meter spin. :joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

At the moment I have an emergency stash of 18 x 1 litre bottles of Puravai (from the USA) stored away. Not much I know but it has a 20 year shelf life so there’s that in an emergency. I only drink and cook with distilled water these days and my distiller can pull double duty to produce 40% alcohol as well (as long as I have water, sugar and yeast) which might come in handy to use as “currency” if the SHTF.

There’s a lake about 2-3 kms away and the ocean’s maybe 3-4 kms away so I have access to that. Already researched on the interwebs and purifying and distilling those water sources should be easy enough. Once I head out to the bush I’ll be putting in minimum 3 x rainwater tanks. But yeah, water is pretty important, not only for yourself but also for growing food. Another good point to raise if anyone’s compiling a list. Cheers.

6 Likes

We get 15 gallons of spring water every 2 weeks just for drinking. Our cats won’t even drink tap water any longer. When the government tested at the source (500 miles north) they expected the die to come out about 40 miles west, but it came out here and another location 15 miles west.

7 Likes

Damn, we got nothing like this here in the 'burbs. Daddy gooberment wouldn’t allow such a thing (free water that is). So, do you drink this straight out of the pipes or do you treat it first? Interesting…

6 Likes

@big_vape that’s a great resource. Wish we had one here like that …

5 Likes

Straight out of the pipes. It’s 15 minutes away and about every 2 weeks we fill 3 5 gallon camping jugs. The chlorine smell and taste from the city water is very noticeable (even in just ice cubes) once you start drinking this. We’ve been drinking this from before Y2K, and sometimes there are about 8-10 cars waiting their turn to fill.
Over last winter the government repaved the parking lot, rebuilt the banks, new signs and the rail handle :+1:

7 Likes

For sure! Especially during the veg phase when they’re on all the time. As the crop matured I would switch to 12 on-12 off which is a little easier on the wallet. Another downside of halides was the heat signature. Both thermal and infrared must be dealt with.
Ahh…the good 'ol days lol!

5 Likes

It’s at the base of a ski hill my girls go to, and was my Y2K plan for fresh water :wink:
We think we’re quite lucky having it so close :+1:

4 Likes

Good time of year to get seeds and trays… 5 days under pink light and that’s broccoli…

5 dollars

5 Likes

Don’t forget to eliminate the male broccoli’s before they mature. Otherwise the females will get pollinated. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

If you’re like me and you have no soil or grow-lights, you could always grow them as sprouts :wink:

5 Likes

Ontario tap water is some of the best in the world. I’ve e never seen lake ridge water tested. Have you tested it? Not to be an ass lol I got family that only drink from that well lol.
Go organic! No need to ph.

11 Likes

Fun for the whole family!

13 Likes

I have not tested it. I’m in Whitby, where you can smell the chlorine in tap water, and it eats through toilet seals and tap washers like nobody’s business. The local Plumbing Supply says it’s high Calcium.

6 Likes

Nice little crop! Is this a current pic? If not, how did it turn out?

6 Likes

I dont get on here much except to get recipes to mix, but this interests me.

We just started prepping about a year ago. We’ve got food in mylar bags, filled long term water storage, hygiene, etc. Just started talking about growing what we could.

My whole family thinks I’m nuts, so it’s nice when I run across other people who are prepping.

10 Likes

Welcome to the “Forum Side” @Livvyo95.

6 Likes