Gardening and Hydroponics (food shortages)

Current pic! These should get massive! Gaia green organics, ewc and promix. 1 sour diesel, 2 white Tahoe cookies and a cross I made a couple years ago of purple Romulan and king tut(tuts is an ak47).

My last indoor run of peanut butter breath. None organic lol

11 Likes

Romaine and butter crunch, just over 1 day with nutrients soaked Rockwood pads for hydro systems

Have tomatoes and chilies in another but they haven’t sprouted yet

10 Likes

Looks like mold but it’s not, I think those were just seeds on top of the rockwool instead of in

7 Likes

looks like you’re off to a good start.

6 Likes

Yeah, give them a couple days and maybe get the stuff I need for my actual hydroponics system so that can be built… I made a nice area in my bedroom that faces the sun and will be getting timer to get the 8 lights to grow… Plan to have about 16 romaine, 16 buttercrunch, cherry and romas as well as thai and jalapenos on the go…

4 Likes

Here is my area with soiled plants (herbs), hydro will be in another area on that side of my place

You can’t see them on the right side, but that’s rosemary sprouting very slowly… I thought they’d be green but they’re little dark pokies.

9 Likes

Yes that’s fog from vaping on the windows it was helplessly cold last night

4 Likes

The one corner is what dude the cat decided to sample

6 Likes

:tada: Just unpacked yesterday’s delivery :tada:
Now I’ve got some reading and washing up to do :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Been saving Classico Pasta sauce jars, if you fill them with hot water and peel the stickers they are actually mason jars

6 Likes

I haven’t seen those here in oz but I haven’t looked.
Got these Fowlers Vacola preserving jars from my neighbour too, just need new lids, seals etc.

4 Likes

beauty

Was just looking at pressure release lids for lacto-fermenting… Would be nice to make some garlic chili reserves.

If you like the spice, the fellow has a great channel called Pepper Geek, excellent content.

Also, Pro Home Cook channel has a vinegar guide here as well… The things to stock up on now for me is get liters of olive, sesame and peanut oils as they last a long time…

4 Likes

Thanks for the recommendations!

Food saving/preserving storage etc is a whole nother rabbit hole :laughing:

3 Likes

Oh, dude, I know… MLGardener is excellent, Hoocho is great, this Asian Cajun sounding fellow is great for hydroponics.

The canning thing is my mother’s bag, so I haven’t taken the time but know the process… Those pressure canners are the cat’s ass.

Lacto Fermenting, Canning, a good supply of oil(s) and I just posted about free fishing rods in my locale and hopefully get a rod to fish with. Kept a hold of my grandpa’s old tackle box, so I should be able to reel in some trout or walleye here… Fill my freezer.

3 Likes

Nobody I know does any of this, so it’s all new to me.
I’ve only ever made pickles and jam and not water bathed even, just hot packed.
Figured the pressure canning was the way to go so we can do veges and meat instead of freezing.

4 Likes

From my understanding it’s the optimal way to do it, just gotta sanitze the jars, peels and wash the veggies well, pack decently so not too much air gets in but leave some head room, toss them in a pop on a lid. Wait for it to pop, yank the suckers out to cool and you’re good to go

One gal on Canadian Preppers channel did one and she used meat and what not.

most of the stuff my mother makes are sauces, relish, pickled beets, carrots, onions, garlic and eggs.

6 Likes

For anyone that’s interested:
Here’s a link for the USDA home canning/preserving info (multiple PDF’s available for download)

https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html#gsc.tab=0

5 Likes

What happens when the cost of petroleum based nutrients prices start to rise. I Don’t support advanced nutrient, even though I started my grow journey with them as a beginner.Think about dry nutrients or soil amendments.

Organic! Ok I’ve just moved over to organics. It’s working out great so far.
Gaia is a Canadian company and you can get them in GP for sure.

5 Likes

These look interesting…

Maybe a diy project

5 Likes

Awesome, thanks, will look into this

5 Likes