Getting my scale!

My scale is coming today! I’m so freaking sick of fumbling around with these syringes. Anything I need to know about measuring by weight before I dive in and make a million bottles of juice?

5 Likes

Bottle on, tare, add thing one, tare, add thing two, tare, repeat ad nauseam…shake, cap, and steep. :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

weigh, tare, weigh, tare, weigh, tare…
and personally, i always weigh nicotine first, in case i add too much, i can take some out…cant do that if there is other fluids in the bottle already.

8 Likes

HAH!
we said the same thing simultaneously!

Great minds think alike! :smiley:

1 Like

And calibrate frequently to make sure things are as they appear. :slight_smile:

They are precision instruments. Treat with TLC.

4 Likes

Sweet. I think I can handle that!

1 Like

How frequently is enough? Every time I use it? Between each recipe? Or is that overkill… I’ve never used a scale like this.

I mix on average, once per week. I calibrate about once per month.

1 Like

I calibrate at least once per month, or if the scale is bumped around or subject to vibration or anything that I think might affect the accuracy.

2 Likes

Just another tip, when weighing, try to keep it away from speakers, cell phone, anything emmitting waves etc. They can effect your scale/measurements.

5 Likes

Good to know!

2 Likes

The only this I do that may be slightly different is that when adding nic I messure by volumn and weight. So you would call that a two step double check.

This helps reduce the chance of adding too much nic

2 Likes

Calibrate as soon as you get it. Always use fresh batteries [no stealing oldies from remote controls!] and try have all your concentrates, nic, PG and VG in dripper bottles. It makes life so much easier, you won’t have to use so much as one syringe.

2 Likes

I do the same thing. It is good double check. If I need 5 ml Nic, I draw up about 5.2 ml, then add it to the mix by weight knowing that I can’t accidentally add very much extra.

1 Like

One last thought on calibration. I always calibrate before making large batches. If I am making any batch(s) of 120 ml or more, I will calibrate. I have never lost a batch due to a calibration error, but I like to know things are right if a large amount of liquid is at stake.

1 Like

To be honest I haven’t calibrated since October. But I know that drops from my ecx FA bottle at 4 drops comes to about 0.07 grams. And I will from time to time messure a few pennies or “X” volumn of water

I’ll probably recalibrate when I change the batteries. I’ve also seen people complain the scales are always accurate when the batteries are running low. I’m not sure if that is true.

1 Like

New, unused or uncirculated copper cents weigh about 3.11 grams each or about 145 copper pennies per pound. New zinc cents are much lighter and weigh only 2.5 grams, basically 2 fairly new pennies weight 5.0 grams.

2 Likes

@VapeyMama So can the ceiling fan, etc.
I don’t calibrate often, each month or so. Of course the scale needs to be treated gently, but the better quality of scale, the less worry of it falling out of calibration. Overloading the scale capacity will knock it out, so don’t leave it uncovered and unattended so one of your fat cats think you put it out just for them. [one of mine just tried to sit on the box that my newest Avocado 22 came in this morning, it’s less than 3"x3", she is 14lbs]

Don’t freak out if your calibration is off a hair, and you don’t need to use a calibration weight(s) the capacity of your scale, 100g or 200g weight is fine. Using weights equal to the scale capacity could be bad, and I would never weigh anywhere around the scale capacity. I know you bought it for juice, so no worries, but some people decide to weigh other things on them also…

Two important things, make sure your scale never shuts off while you are weighing, and get in the habit of weighing your addition-checking the weight-and HIT THE TARE BUTTON right away.
A good practice is to weigh your empty vessel first and write down the weight. If you mix magnetically, make sure your stir bar is in the beaker when you weigh it. Stay organized…line up your bottles of flavoring, etc. to your right, as you add them, line them up to your left, it will help keep track of what your doing. If you make a mistake, your scale shuts off, you forgot to tare, then at least you have a point to fix it from.

I still use a syringe for my nicotine, yet weigh it as I add it. I add my nic last because I like the way it mixes on my magnetic stirrer…personal preference.

What scale did you get? Does it have a power cord, or just batteries?
When you first put in fresh batteries, turn it on and time how long it takes to auto shut off, no matter what the box/manual says.
Happy mixing !!

Edit: One more thing, if you are adding drops and get close to your desired weight, and you add a drop but the weight doesn’t change…just blow on the scale plate, a good puff of air, then let the numbers settled down.

4 Likes

Yes, I found that two pennies (after 1981) or one nickel will be exactly 5g.