Hand sanitizer - how much do you use?

Curious…

I have gone thru about 8oz in the last week. Made a new batch last night using @daath 's recipe… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We haven’t been out that much, so I think we’ve only used like 70 ml - I gave a bottle to a friend as well :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Our usage hasn’t increased. We already use it and always have a few big bottles in stock anyway. I’ve always stocked up when stuff at Sam’s goes on Instant Savings just because I don’t like to run out.

5 Likes

I have been using it every 20 min outside the house… so I went thru a lot especially on the hunt for groceries the last few days… we are good to go for the next week or so… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Really? But you aren’t panicked…

7 Likes

I am when I am around strangers… you know… all that dangerous stuff called germs… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

But has that changed with the virus, or was that already a regular routine?

4 Likes

With the virus, Phil… I normally do not wander around germ factories :wink:

4 Likes

Oh, but you do…

How many germs do we encounter a day?

“Of the 60,000 types of germs that people come in contact with on a daily basis … only about 1 [percent] to 2 percent are potentially dangerous to normal people with normal immunity,” he said. That works out well for us, because pretty much any surface contains some of these microscopic organisms.

8 Likes

I don’t use it that much. When I get done shopping I spray down. And when I get home I wash up.

6 Likes

I’m using about the same honestly. I have been trying to stay close to home unless I have to go to the store for supplies and then I use it before, while I’m in there, and after I leave but that’s pretty normal for me.

3 Likes

Phil… in a time of panic and who can buy up all the tp… you really are not in crowds to buy things…

It is recommended you use your hand sanitizer every 20 min out in public. Common sense says you will go thru more than when times are calmer as you are not around a lot of folks in a peace time environment… Not that much of a biggie… but Id rather have some form of protection than none.

4 Likes

My youngest son just informed me he’s worn the same clothes for 3 days. I’ve gotta start paying more attention around here.

4 Likes

Washing mechanically removes germs and viruses - it’s best to use hand sanitizer after hand wash - in case not everything was removed, there’s a chance the sanitizer kills the rest :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I just wash my hands. My Raynauds forces me to wear gloves most of the time anyway, as soon as I’m home I wash my hands.
I’m down to dog shampoo that I’ve added some Dettol antiseptic liquid to :dog:

When my kids were small and I took them to various playpens and such, it were the people that were constantly sterilising everything their kids came in contact with that were always dealing with sick children.

6 Likes

I went from never using hand sanitizer to now I have used it 3 times since the panic hit here in Indiana…each time was after going to the store and before I got into the car…based on the symptoms I’m pretty sure my wife and child and I already had the virus 3-4 weeks ago, children are less likely to show symptoms but the virus can cause diarrhea and vomiting before/after the cold symptoms set in, and a month ago my daughter was experiencing the gastro symptoms, then my wife and I did and then she had a headache for a week and a half and I had a tickle in the back of my throat for almost 2 weeks…that was before the first cases were announced in Indiana but we also weren’t testing anybody, and we had been going to greenwood and Avon frequently before that which is the two hotbeds of the virus in Indiana currently, so idk lol

5 Likes

I know this isn’t the only or maybe best thread but since you mentioned it, my family probably went through it too. Mildly symptomatic for several weeks. Nothing I was overly concerned with personally since we are not an at risk lot. However, even before any official provided me with ‘tips of social responsibility’, I took it upon myself to look out for my community neighbors.

We homeschool, I have been ‘self-quaranting’ as a work from homer for 8 years now, and we use delivery for as much as possible -we already did that- and we very consciously avoided going out as much as possible. None of us are showing any anomalous health symptoms anymore but we are still practicing the prescribed social distancing. Example, I need to go to Lowe’s or Home Depot for some stuff, but since it is not a requirement right now, I’m waiting. I’m a good boy. It’s all about common sense I figure. I went to the grocery store one time in the past few weeks, and that was just a couple days ago (long past me feeling any sort of ‘off’.)

6 Likes

Yep yep, we have all felt fine for weeks now but we are following all the self quarantine rules, except I went fishing yesterday with my daughter, but we didn’t stop anywhere other than the lake, and nobody else was there lol

4 Likes

I hope you ‘caught’ something better than Covid-19!

3 Likes

lol caught a nice mess of bluegill, suddenly the meat shortage in my area doesn’t matter…

5 Likes