Has This Happened to Anyone?

I just made an Ry4 recipe using TFA Double Ry4 and TFA Bavarian Cream.
I always smell the concentrate after I uncap it. I could barely smell the difference between the two. I had to repeat my sniffing to make sure. I know Ry4s traditionally have Vanilla and Caramel in them. But why would these two flavors smell 99% identical? Thx for any input.

3 Likes

RY4 and Bavarian cream smell the same??

What about taste??

3 Likes

Your question just made me get up and smell them again! They’re very close. Is it at all possible that the vendor who repackages the flavors made a mistake with the labeling? Either that or…some people are tone deaf, maybe I’m taste deaf.

4 Likes

I’ve never mixed standalones of each and vaped them.I just mixed them in a batch with 2 other flavors.

2 Likes

Mybe do a finger test of each?

3 Likes

It’s a royal pain and boring… but, stand alone mixing will help you in the future to create great mixes. All you need is a 3 to 5ml test batch to get a good idea of the flavor profile for any concentrate… don’t forget about your steep time with stand alone mixes… it matters. :wink:

3 Likes

You are right, Sensei. My impatience impedes my progress to being a good student and causes me to cheat :blush:

3 Likes

Thx, I think I can handle that :smile:

2 Likes

Bavarian cream is a buttery cream w/ a hint of caramel and vanilla so don’t think your losing it ! They are similar but taste completely different where Ry4 has the deeper hues of caramel and tobacco. It’s true single flavor testing is tedious work but w/ a rewarding payoff.

7 Likes

Oh, TY so much. I did think I was losing it. Or something was wrong with my schnozzle :laughing:

4 Likes

Sometimes I smell so many of the course of mixing that I have to take a break. A good way to cleanse the sniffer is to smell some coffee beans then go back to smelling the concentrates. Also a cheater method is the shot glass method where you put a shot of flavor in a glass and you shoot it and see if you can get a good feel for what it taste like some ppl have this method down very well , me I do the single flavor method in a mix and then vape it.

6 Likes

No s–t? You can shoot a flavor concentrate? I be damned!

2 Likes

You can also just drip some water onto a teaspoon and add a drop of flavor to get an idea of how it is.

6 Likes

Thank you kindly, Ms Underanne :smile:

2 Likes

that is what I am saying you can get a shot glass and drop 1 drop see how it taste if it’s weak drop 2 drops that gives you an idea on strength as far as tastes go.

5 Likes

Very interesting points. Thank you @Amy2

3 Likes

Wow, I don’t know about the single flavor testing thing. My taste buds are never consistent. I’m afraid I would never really taste most of the tests. Too much coffee that day. Too little water that day. Ate a Jalapeno that day. etc.etc.etc. Couldn’t taste my strawberry prevalent mix today at all. Tonight it tastes great. I think I would have to do every test over a week’s period to trust the results.

5 Likes

Ah, so that’s why I doubt my ability to properly taste (and maybe smell) my flavors. Interesting point and thank you for that. I just got a reply from a friend on another forum who said that she received a mistakenly labeled flavor from a vendor whom I shall not mention out of courtesy. Now I know that that is a possibility, too.

However, the point of single flavor testing is an important one that I feel I should be more disciplined with.

1 Like

I’m sure it is. I just know I would be a poor judge. I know other folks that can taste something and accurately tell what is in there. I’m always amazed.

1 Like

I am too. There’s a juice I still buy because it baffles me what the heck is in there. And no one else knows, either, because I have never seen a legit clone.

3 Likes