Help Me Help My Neighbor

My neighbor is an old timer who quit drinking several years ago but the cigs are killing him. He’s developing emphysema. He’s such a good neighbor and a good guy, I’d like to introduce him to vaping. I figure a pod would be the best and probably the only thing he would use. He doesn’t like fussing with stuff. I’m not knowledgeable about the latest pods and would like some help. He smokes regular Marlboros. Do you think he should try a prefilled/disposable first, to find a flavor he likes? After that I can help him buy juice for refillables. Thank you for your help.

8 Likes

You’re old school like the rest of us. I think he would benefit from your knowledge and use of actual mods and RDAs/RTAs. I smoked Winstons, similar to Marlboros. 2 pks a day. When I started vaping there was no such thing as pods and those little tootie-puffers just didn’t cut it.
In any case follow your instinct and keep us posted.

8 Likes

Sorry, I have no idea about pods either,
Do you have a spare premade coil kit he could borrow to try?
We did that with hubby’s co-worker recently and he’s now converted. He went and bought a similar kit for himself (Sub-ohm premade coil tank).
The coworker was a moderate smoker so I just mixed him some freebase at 6mg. Maybe try 12 or 18mg freebase for your neighbour?
He is a younger bloke though :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

Smokies Winston would be a good starter’s recipe. It takes a good two weeks to steep.
Make sure he’s receptive to vaping before you do this though. I can’t tell you how many times I have done what you’re about to do with people who aren’t ready to quit smoking.

Geek Vape U series are decent low wattage pods. No buttons just inhale to vape and are relatively cheap to buy on line. Sounder is under $12.00 plus shipping.

8 Likes

Not much help with pods Muth. I’e only tried a small amount of them and they weren’t for me. I did have the Joyetech Penguin, which I really did like until it stopped working for some reason. if you can still find 'em, might want to look into it. The 0.24ohm coils were pretty good but for a newly quit smoker, maybe the 0.6 or even the 1.25 coils might be a better option. I’ve noticed with a lot of the newly stick quitters, the lower ohms may be a bit difficult to adjust to at first and they use it as an excuse to go backwards. Good luck with whatever you find.

5 Likes

@rcleven perfect suggestion.

@muth

5 Likes

I’ve been reasonably impressed with the Geekvape Obelisk 65 that I bought @muth . Pocket friendly size and weight, decent screen,easy menu and a 2500 mah built in battery which easily lasts me a day. I won’t list all the spec’s as they’re still available at a reasonable price. Boost coils are available in quite a few different ohms too so he could try and dial in his favorite.

Like most it’s not without its con’s which for me are based around the pod.
1/ It’s fairly dark and a little hard to see your juice level.
2/ The pod does weep but I wouldn’t call it leaking. I think it’s from around the joint rather than out of the air slots. It’s not bad but it’s a thing. Basically all I do is clean it up with a bit of kitchen roll and a cotton bud every day when filling.

8 Likes

I just thought I’d qualify the pod and juice level point. This is me holding it up to a light so as you can see it’s not terrible but harder in daylight. I think it holds 4ml or thereabouts so filling it up daily at home isn’t bad.

I can’t show you the weeping as I just cleaned it but I’ve probably made it sound worse than it actually is.

7 Likes

Is that MTL?

6 Likes

I don’t like a full on airy vape and never have. I found myself being put off a lot of devices due to my perception of them being too open.
However what I’ve learned is I can dial down the airflow and enjoy what I’ve bought. The coil in the Obelisk is a 0.4 ohm which I never thought I’d be touching this time two years ago but I do and specifically put the Obelisk in smart mode to see how I faired.
I do prefer the 0.6 ohm and have bought some 1 ohm but haven’t tried them yet. I’m going to try rebuilding the Boost coils but haven’t got around to it. I do have two clone Boost rebuildable coils that I bought from Fastech ages ago that use simple single wire which I have tried and I enjoyed them.
So after waffling for ages that coil isn’t intended to be but I find that if I cut the airflow down I enjoy the vape and I would consider myself a loose MTL vaper.

Hope that makes sense!

8 Likes

I have a couple of VOOPOO ARGUS pod mods I would be willing to just give you one if you’d like.

10 Likes

I settled on the Sonder U after reading reviews. No complaints at all, love the device. Nice MTL, long lasting battery (1000 mAH), USB-C charges, first pod lasted me 3 weeks and 60 ml of nic salt juice before tasting burnt in the least. Feels like a bic lighter in your hand.

P.S: If you do decide to go with a Sonder, Coupon code: “CVDS20” for 20% off at Ecigmafia for cheapest pods that I found. I bought 17 packs to get free shipping and with the code it worked out to like $1.99 per pod. ( .7 ohm sold out atm but says they’re getting more)

7 Likes

That’s a very generous offer Tim :hugs:

6 Likes

That is very similar if not the same that hubby’s coworker bought and he transitioned straight from the Veco tank EUC 0.5 ohm coil, which is what we lent him.

I think you just described me too :grin:

6 Likes

Wow, thank you everyone for the excellent advice and generosity. I haven’t had the talk with him yet but will let you know when I do. I sure hope he’s open to the idea. We all watched his brother slowly leave us with ALS and I couldn’t bear to see a similar fate for Gerry.

8 Likes

I have had more successs with pods , i like to keep a caliburn or caliburn G for people trying to quit . I typically start a person at 35mg with salts and wein them down without tellimg them.

The nee disposabkes have amazing flavor. Im actually shocked at how well they have improved

9 Likes

i have been vaping for like 10-12 years… i went trougth all kinds of vape gears… single coil, dual coil,series,rta rda and as of now i vape a single coil 0.80 mtl RDA/RTA… If i had to introduce somone to vaping as of now i would hand them a caliburn G with a 0.80-1.00 ohm coil. Simple easy, good flavor.

8 Likes

@muth. In addition to my posts above I’ll add these here. Possibly a bit late now but I wanted to put my words into pictures.

The pod after 24 hours.

And inside the pod mod.

Sorry the pod mod picture is a bit blurry but there’s no juice at the top end that’s too dark to see.
Actually this seems a little more than usual but I think the coil is on its last legs which possibly could be contributing.

8 Likes

Geek vape wenax
This has surprised me so much my wife runs one of ever colour 0.8 simple mix of oriental tabacco @4%70/30 the coils are still going after 6 mths I know she’s uses 6or 7 of them two pods a day in rotation.Oxva xlim is just as good but more to play with and a bit aire
the wenax is so simple

7 Likes

Do you prefer the Wenax over the Xlim?

3 Likes