Help needed with mixing

Hello,

I am a beginner in mixing i mix with 100%PG and 100%VG but why are my recipes not tasting sweet? For example i made Astro Space Jam it should be a shake and vape but there is no sweet taste in it all flavors are from TPA and i mix on 0mg Nic. Please can anybody help me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sry but since it made me chuckle, 200% is tough accomplishment, cheers.
I am not familiar w/ the recipe but it would help others if you shared the mix as you mixed it.

9 Likes

Shake and vape has been outlawed. You need to steep everything now.
Show us the recipe you followed. It might help for us to look at it.

9 Likes

2 Likes

Also what devise are you using mate?
These all seem pretty strong to me i would be inclined to lower the peach but i don’t have the apple so not sure how strong it is. Just from looking at it i would say this wouldn’t be a bad pod vape.

3 Likes

Wait so you want it sweet? Do you have sweetener?

3 Likes

Yes i have sweetner i use a Vaporesso Switcher with a Drop RDA and a Peerless RDA. But is 100%PG good or do i nomal need a 50/50PG?

2 Likes

@ProFumi46, What type of coil are you using and at what power? I’m a bit confused as to your statement of 100% PG. Recipe is showing 30% and that is total including your flavorings and Nicotine.
Your PV/VG ratio is pretty much personal preference. I personally use different ratios depending on the recipe and which device i will be vaping it in.
Are you talking about your NIC %? I see that it says your Nic is PG based and at 100% but you didn’t add any to your recipe! Using 100% PG Nic can make it difficult at times depending on your preferred PG/VG ratio to get a recipe to work exactly how you want it to turn out. That in itself is also a personal preference?
As far as sweetness, your VG and some flavorings will add sweetness to a recipe but usually not overly sweet. You can use many different types of sweeteners and I would suggest very low %'s as they are very sweet and can mute all of your flavor. Another factor that will affect taste is the percentage of flavorings! What has helped me understand this better is doing Single Flavor Testing (SFT). This is probably the very best way to determine what to mix and how much to use! Some people have knack for it and can read the notes section to get an idea as to where to start. I’m not so blessed in that regard.
Have you read any of the beginners guides linked here in the forum? Very Very good information for us new mixers.
Your in the right place to ask questions and there are some exceptional mixers here that will give you much better answers than I can so stick around and ask away. Have fun and I look forward to trying some of your recipe’s!

6 Likes

Looking at your screenshot, I’d be inclined to say 20% flavoring is kind of high for an RDA set-up, unless you are running really low wattage and >1ohm resistance.

Are you getting good flavor but just not enough sweetness? If the flavor is there, just add some (~.5%-1%) sweetener of choice. You can search for “Sweeteners” or “Additives” in the forum for more info.

On a side-note, mixing by drops is the new VHS/DVD compared to streaming video online. Have you thought about getting a scale and mixing by weight? Very few disagree that it is a better way to mix.

I’m glad you’re asking questions. I see you’ve been a forum member for a year, but only read 14 minutes on this side. My best advice is to Search, Ask and Read a lot, and it will get much easier very quickly. You can use the search over here like Google, just type in your question, its probably been discussed at great length! Welcome!

10 Likes

@atssec97 so dude mixes 0 nic, that’s why it’s 0% in the recipe. @ProFumi46 idk if there is a language barrier or you don’t know what vg/pg is, but you can’t use 100% of each either way. Your recipe calls for 70% vg which is vegetable glycerin, and 30% pg which is propylene glycol, 20% of that pg is your flavoring. As far as your sweetness level goes, does the recipe have flavor and it’s just not sweet enough or is the flavor lacking too? If it’s just not sweet enough then add sweetener like @Plunderdrum said, but I’m guessing the whole thing is lacking flavor, if that’s the case you might need to adjust your total flavor %.

4 Likes

yes i have been here for a year but i have just begon to mix my own juice now. I vape on a high wattage 100W i like it that way :smile: taste are with some good but not sweet enough i think maybe steep a couple of days would be good

4 Likes

so i need to level up the flavors or do i use the wrong Base VG and PG?

1 Like

If you made the recipe exactly as it says then I would say you might need to go down with the flavors instead of up. Your base should not matter that much for flavor at 70% vg, but is it possible you added to much? Counting drops into the hundreds is very easy to mess up, getting a scale or syringes will greatly improve the accuracy of your mixes, and will also make it easier to repeat recipes and figure out what may be wrong.

6 Likes

If you’re missing sweet stuff you find in commercial juices, you’re probably in need of some sucralose. Sweetener from TFA is maltol and sucralose but since Strawberry Ripe is already loaded with ethyl maltol (which slightly sweetens, but also mutes), I would stay away from additional maltol, ethyl maltol, vanillin and other enhancers that can mute. Those sweeteners also don’t give an in-your-face sweetness, it’s a bit more subtle.

Another option is to use some stevia… if you like that. Personally I’m not a fan, but lots of people say it’s really good with fruity flavors.

7 Likes

I’m on the Stevia train. For a couple reasons… I like sweetener in some of my recipes. And, Stevia does not have the coil-killing effects of Sucralose which kept me off sweeteners until I found Stevia. If you’re lucky enough to be able to use Sucralose without the coil gunking side-effects, great! I’m not one of the lucky ones.

6 Likes

I just checked the recipe database for the original recipe of this name. It looks like those flavor %'s were written in 2015, when most people were using very low wattage, high resistance devices. As power has increased, and resistance decreased, we are getting many more flavor molecules in the vapor than in the past.

I would recommend reducing your % by half for an experiment. Add a touch of sweetener if you need to. You should find more flavor with a lower %. Maybe make a 10-15ml batch to start for testing so you don’t waste your ingredients during the testing phase.

You’re at 20% total flavor right now. Maybe try one at 10% total, and one at 15% total.

High flavor % can mute flavors. It seems like more flavor concentrate should equal more flavor, but the opposite is usually true.

8 Likes

And need i do that for all recipes? or just the Astro Space Jam

3 Likes

It’s not so simple, unfortunately. Some flavor concentrates are very diluted, some are highly concentrated/potent. Of the highly potent flavors, you could have full-flavor at 2% total, using 0.25% of this one, 0.6% of that, 0.15 of this one and 1% of another. Or, you might have a weak set of flavorings that you need 8-10% of each.

It’s far more advisable to study recommended Single Flavor % and then test each flavor by itself to find out how much or how little you need for a recipe for your taste.

This is where it can become more work than fun. I usually just research the flavors for usage % recommendations, search the forum for discussions on how people feel about it, and only test Single flavors if I get stuck and need to investigate.

But, looking at the trends, 20% is higher than most mixers are using for high wattage devices.

6 Likes

Many mixers are replacing these weak flavors with more highly concentrated versions. There are more flavor companies than there were 4 years ago, and they are trending to more concentrated flavors. A flavor that requires 10% in a mix isn’t cost-effective. If you love that flavor, though, cost is not an issue.

6 Likes

–THIS!!–

8 Likes