I hope that this is in the right place…if not, please feel free to move it.
To begin with, I got my flavors and equipment in yesterday and am more than excited to mix up my first tester. However, I also have purchased a Zeus Dual Coil RTA and have been practicing my wicking. I am having a problem (I think) with the juices I already had with gunking up my coils…at least that’s what I’m thinking the problem is. I literally spent the entire afternoon yesterday building and rebuilding my deck because about the 4th or 5th hit with the new cotton (was able to save the coils for several builds) I was getting the burnt flavor. When checked, sure enough the cotton was burning. Needless to say I was pretty frustrated by the end of the day. At the moment, it seems as long as I keep the wattage under 55 I can stretch out the life of the cotton but it means I have less flavor and can’t take as deep of a inhale.
I really want to figure out what’s causing this problem so I’m not wasting my juice and my sanity, as little as there is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I had the same problem with my dead rabbit I’m going to try an experiment today with new coils and wicking it with rayon instead of cotton using my bunny ear wick to jam as much rayon in the coils as I can. But yes my coils kept burning out the cotton vaping at 40 watts! Later today I’ll repost my results and some pics.
A lot of times the burning wick or dry hits are caused by limited juice flow, over stuffing the inlet ports will do that, try thinning out the tails of the wick and trim so the just lay across and cover the juice ports,
Most likely it is the wick or hotspots in the coil
which is one of the reasons I always build spaced coils
best thing to do really is look at youtube videos of people using your tank
see how they wick and how much cotton they are using
wicking is a pain to learn at first but once you get it you shouldn’t have any more issues
The mod I’m using is iJoy’s Captain PD270. After some further testing today, I believe it may be a particular juice I’ve been using (Infused Mocha Jarape). It’s not particularly sweet, but it is dark and seems to be what’s gunked on the coils when I go to clean them before re-wicking.
It’s the day before I leave to go on the road for work (no…not a truck driver even though they are AWESOME) and I am more excited to start mixing as well as getting this RTA good to go than I am to pack and load the van…how sad is that?
I have watched a LOT of YouTube videos in reference to my RTA as well as other RTAs, RDAs, RDTAs, and building and wicking. I hadn’t come across this particular problem yet…which is why I came here to ask y’all. I’m hoping that with more tinkering around with the Zeus I’ll have it figured out before I have to leave out of here tomorrow afternoon.
That doesn’t sound like a gunking issue, but i guess anything is possible. It really souds like you’re stuffing the cotton too tight/compact in the liquid port. 4 or 5 hits is about when the liquid you primed the wicks with should dry out and you’re burning the cotton, not getting fresh liquid through the ports to wet it.
It’s a goldilocks scenario: stuff it too tight = dry hits and burnt cotton. Too loose = leaky tank. The cotton should cover the ports completely, but not give resistance to the stuffing tool you’re using.
I just had a discussion about this very issue with another vaper two days ago. After the wicking was nailed down (he had the cotton to lose in the coil itself) he was still getting burned /scorched cotton after 4-5 pulls.
Turns out that he wasn’t getting enough airflow to the coils. His juice was just caramelizing on the coil instead of vaporizing. Maybe it’s something to look into?
On that note… If you ARE scorching your wicks… You do NOT want to scorch rayon! Think cotton is nasty when it’s scorched? Doesn’t hold a candle to the hack fest you’re in for if you dry hit or scorch rayon! Get the issue figured out before you switch!
I apologize for the late response…I work nights now. Luckily enough I brought a couple of mods as well as tanks in case there was an issue with one I’d have a couple of others to use. I haven’t been able to solve the issue with my Zeus yet, but I don’t have to work this weekend so I’ll work on it and let everyone know how it turns out.
Many thanks to everyone that has taken the time to offer suggestions. I really do appreciate the time y’all have taken to answer my questions.
Well…I’m home for a week and the first place I come to online? Yep…right here. I wanted to let y’all know how it went with my tank.
To begin with, I started another topic that sums it up. It’s located HERE. What I find interesting is that the problem was solved by doing two things instead of one. I haven’t had the time (last week) to use the organic cotton on my other RTAs, but that’s on the agenda for this week since I’m home.
Thank you for taking the time to read and share. I was surprised that a few of you were concerned that I hadn’t updated earlier and surmised that it was due to my being on the road (which was the case). It made me feel like I mattered to this community. In today’s society, that is a wonderful feeling to have in an online community! Thank you again,