Help with flav %'s

Im New to making my own liquid! Ive bought everything needed to do it! Pg vg nic scales syringes and flav concentrates just waiting upon arrival! I was trying to build my own recipe now so that when everything comes ill be ready to go! And got quite confused as of how much % of each flav i would need! Any help would be awsome!

Well im sorta new to this as well. And if you got all that on the way. Your way ahead of what i had when i started lol. But you will find every flavor is different. Some are way strong. And others are not so much. My suggestion would be to start low. You can always add to or go up. But there is lots of good ppl on here that know a lot and will help the best they can.

1 Like

It all depends on the flavour. You can check the flavour list to see the average percentage people use for the flavours you’ve bought. http://e-liquid-recipes.com/flavors
If you stick to the median you should be quite safe. It will also depend on what you want to accomplish. If you want an apple flavour with a touch of cinnamon for instance, your will need a higher percentage of apple and only a small percentage of cinnamon. I suggest you check out the recipe page and look at populair recipes that other people have made and see what percentage they’ve used. It is basically all trial and error since everybody has different taste buds. Start with small amounts to try out recipes and see if you like it or not and what it is you don’t like about it and adjust accordingly.
Mixing is a lot of fun but there is no real guide to it and therefore can be a royal PITA at times. Just play around and have fun with it and you will get to know your flavours and the percentage you like.

2 Likes

this should be fine for a first try right? I like mentholy flav btw! :joy::joy:

I’m not a menthol person myself so I wouldn’t really know, but if I were you I would start making 5 to 10 ml at first to see if you like it and only start making bigger batches if you know you like the juice. Don’t forget to give it time to steep, it can turn a meh juice into a great one (not always though, sometimes meh is still meh no matter how much time has passed)
I would put up the strawberry though, I don’t think you will taste it through all the mint at this low percentage. Average mixing percentage is 5%.

2 Likes

Yeah i would raise the strawberry and lower the menthol. But im not a menthol person either.

1 Like

Ive been reading on steeping and theres diffrent ways to do it right? Mizing it a leaving it for 24hr and then repeat! Is there a diffrent way?

1 Like

Usually if I have a question about approximate %s to use for a new flavor I will go the ELR recipe area and search the recipes for the flavor in question. I will then look for highly rated recipes and look at the %s they used to get a idea how to use it. While looking at the flavor within a recipe you can also click on the flavor name and look at it’s info page. The info page has statistics as to it’s use in percentages for both in a mix or use as a single flavor blend. It will also show ratings of the flavor, comments about the flavor, recipes it has been used and more. As @Josephine_van_Rijn said a good place to start is in the medium range. One thing you need to realize is that the way others use flavors and the way you decide works for you can be very different. A saying we have around here is “Taste Is Subjective” meaning people’s tastes vary. You must realize that you are out to please yourself, not others. So, you will have to experiment and find your sweet spot for each new flavor you buy. As a noob I suggest just following highly rated recipes and once you get the basics down then you can start experimenting and creating your own recipes…good luck !!!

3 Likes

There is a lot of ways to sleep. You can mix let sit 24hours. Then 0ne week. 2 weeks. Some say one month. Ultrasonic cleaner. Hot bath. Everyone is different and does it different ways. I say it should sit at least a week. I’ve made stuff that i didn’t like. Then 3 4 weeks latter i tried it. And was like damn lol good stuff

2 Likes

I’ve made stuff and its good from the start, better after a week, 2 weeks and so on. I’ve also made some that wont be any good if they steep for a year.
I made 3 recipes with TPA green apple that I could not stand to vape gave them to my son and he loved them.

2 Likes

Sweet Strawberry won’t shine at 2%. If you look at the top rated recipes using it you will see like Unicorn Milk for example it is used at 8.5%. And to me the Strawberry doesn’t come through really strong in that recipe. So like others have stated, look at each flavor. Look at the top rated recipes using it and base your recipe on what you gather from that research. It helps to find recipes similar to yours (good luck with that one LOL). I am not much of a menthol person either

One thing I did notice…are you trying for 8.34mg nicotine? Just seems like a really odd number. And for your first mix, you should really only mix 5-10ml. If your very first mix bombs and you made 50ml that is a lot of juice to throw away.

3 Likes

[quote=“LordVapor, post:11, topic:37889”]
If you look at the top rated recipes using it you will see like Unicorn Milk for example it is used at 8.5%. And to me the Strawberry doesn’t come through really strong in that recipe.
[/quote]… So true. I use 10% sweet strawberry in the unicorn milk version I make and it’s not overpowering at all. And you’ll find out, just like I did that steeping IS VERY IMPORTANT :wink:

But don’t be afraid to ask and please do experiment… Just make small batches and when you find a good one make more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great Success! On the first mix did it yesterday morning when everythin arrived and as i am so impatient! Tried it just now just to see how it was going and it tasted lovley strawberry and a subtle menthol on it! I ended up using 6% strawberry and 4% menthol! :+1::+1::+1:

5 Likes

Congrats. Good job. Suggest you work on the patients though, your mixes may taste much better after a good natural steep.

1 Like

Lol i have the same problem. Its hard to wait for something to steep when its already so damn good. And i love motgers milk and unicorn milk. And i haven’t yet found one that was close to either one.

congrates on having a good first attempt. Mine took 15 small batches before I said “yay”. I would say that you should keeping testing the flavor in the juice over the next week. You may find you want to tweak the recipie after 4-8 days steeping. Or you may note it as a shake and “must” vape right away. One of my simple two ingredient recipies started off great after 24 hours rest, but on the 4th day one of the flavors started to take over. I knew I did want to drop the amount of either flavor but wanted a juice that could be good 5 days later so I increased the primary flavor just a touch and now that flavor is still the primary flavor after 5 days rest

2 Likes

I made a mother’s milk clone. And one of the main ingredients was way overwhelming. I was like oh crap. Well i let it sit for a month. Shaking from time to time. And today i put it in my crown and i love it. So just saying what you taste from the start may not be what you get ofter it has time to steep.

3 Likes

havent tried it put that was in the recepie setion!

That is the recipe I have like 750ml of steeping right now. To me it is the actual recipe for UM. Which is one of my favorites. Whenever I use a flavor in that recipe I use those percentages for a starting point.

So the recipe is good right i just ordered the flav i didnt have to make this!?