Help with Presonous board

How are you runnin it? To trigger live samples?

5 Likes

No triggers, no samples, all close mic’d.

3 Likes

I guess what I mean is, what are you using the Presonus board for?

2 Likes

Using the 16 channel AI board for close mic’ing the kit. Have the FAT Channel mastered, but as always, struggle with some of the recording settings.

1 Like

Oh, okay… So you’re using the board for recording, right?

2 Likes

Roger that @Musicmixologist. It can be a chore to lay down some raw scratch tracks in Capture, then play back AND try and set the levels, EQ, compression, etc. Easier if you have someone sitting on the board while playing LOL.

1 Like

@Musicmixologist, being a drummer, and NOT an engineer, it’s been a learning curve. 10 close mic’s with 2 overheads, all via XLR to StudioLive 16AI, firewire to laptop, and capturing with Capture, and DAW’ing with Studio One.

It took me awhile to figure it out, and having recorded a lot, mic placement and phasing was a non issue. Some of the presets were pretty good for drums, and some needed tweaking.

1 Like

Awesome! I know… Doing it all by yourself is very hard, without someone behind the Mixer to tweak your basic recording levels and settings. Some Pre-processing on tracks during recording can be a SUPER PLUS like high and low pass filters and compressors. It can save on computer processing power during mixings if you do some basic stuff for your recordings and also eliminate some mixing headaches. :slight_smile:

But Sounds like you have the motivation to learn. Thats important! But basically Yeah. Tweaking and then saving a patch(es) for your Fader and Gain & Mic input Compressors and other settings on your Presonous/Mixer/Console for a recording only sessions. And saving a separate settings patch(es) for Playback and mixing. (If you want to reroute and use the mixer instead of your DAW for Mixing. Especially if it has better FX’s over the DAW) Some of the DAW softwares can be harder to learn then a Mixer Console With Automation. And most DAW software needs Hugh processing power to playback 16 tracks and mix in real time at 44.1k Sampling

I’ll send ya a PM Of the basics… If you have any general Q’s about recording engineering feel free to PM back. As far as specific Q’s for your gear you use your manual would be your best friend. :wink:

5 Likes

Hella cool of you bud! :thumbsup:

5 Likes

Thanks for the PM @Freddie3.

5 Likes

You feelin a lil more at home with the board now? I’m currently recording my first full length album and I keep havin to re-do things cause I keep learnin new and better ways to do things! And amen about tryin to tweak levels WHILE playin! Happens to me all the time tryin to dial in amps, pedals and such… Thankfully, I have a looper pedal which helps A LOT, but not as much as a set if helping hands, lol…

3 Likes

@Musicmixologist, and @Freddie3 I appreciate both of your help on this subject, but have been so swamped at work, haven’t had much time to get into it. I will get to it though. Thank you.

2 Likes