Hot/warm bath or not?

I have been giving my mixes a 15 minute hot bath ( around 120 degrees) for a while now to speed up the steeping process and wonder if it is doing more harm then good for my mixes

4 Likes

I do the same using an ultrasonic with hottest tap water. I can see with my eyes it’s easier to blend/shake/stir when your VG is thinned by heat (<120 F) and I use the ultrasonic to force out any air bubbles created from the blending. Pretty sure being fully blended is the best path to fastest steep and it’s near impossible to do with cold VG

6 Likes

My thinking exactly I use my little mixer after the bath then I mix it up until I can’t see through it then leave the cap off until all the bubbles are gone

1 Like

I use a magnetic stirrer for a half hour which will create a lot of gas bubbles and even without a heating plate bring the temp of the juice to about 100°F. Then I put the juice in a ultrasonic also @ 100°F for a half hour. I mix mostly fruits and I notice little or no change over time after that process. Some creamy mixes will mellow with time however. But everything is quite vape-able per my taste right after the process.

2 Likes

Sounds odd, but I put my mixes on top of the router (fairly warm) for about 15 min. as well. I don’t think that amount of time is enough to degrade the nicotine or the flavor, but just enough to make the mix very viscous so that when shake it and put it away for a steep, that I ensure molecules have been blended to a satisfying degree.

Not super scientific, but I can tell the liquid has been thinned to the point that there are no pockets of flavoring or nicotine.

2 Likes

Thanks Walt I am on the fence on buying an ultrasonic but I hear so many good comments on them I just don’t know which one to buy

1 Like

This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Commercial-Ultrasonic-Capacity-Solution/dp/B01HGNM5WE/ref=pd_sim_328_4/136-2500552-7227169?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01HGNM5WE&pd_rd_r=117XJ0HBA2TY4SX4XAHN&pd_rd_w=ALqLt&pd_rd_wg=oH9JE&psc=1&refRID=117XJ0HBA2TY4SX4XAHN

Up to 1/2 hour timer. They also make a 2ltr unit that is equally as nice just a little less capacity. I use mine to clean up tools and parts not just vaping devices.

4 Likes

Thanks Walt I’ll check it out!

2 Likes

I use the crock pot for my speed steep just hold the nicotine if you use it till the end so it doesn’t degrade in the heat. I use a digital thermometer and keep the water at around 130°- 135° for about a hour and give a shake every 20 minutes and remove add the nicotine and take it for a ride on the sawzall to blend and let it rest till it clears up and vape. If you use flavors with alcohol cut the time to 20 minutes in the bath remove and hold off putting your nicotine in and give it a ride on the sawzall to blend and take the top off place in a cool dark place for 10 to 12 hours shake every hour. Then put in your nicotine give it a ride on the sawzall and give it a few days to mature in cool dark place.

1 Like

i mix high vg juices in large batches (300ml-1liter) and from times to times i might warm bath (at 60-70C) my juices just for being able to shake the bottles easier so ingredients go everywhere inside the bottle, though i don’t see any noticeable difference in steeping time… at least this is my experience…

1 Like

dont take the lid off your bottles people.
thats your flavor flying away.
and what remains being watered down.
weight your bottle before 10-12 hours with lid off. then after.
where that water come from?

@amophia yeah i mix in 100% vg 1liter batches also. i think like @bodarc said " it’s easier to blend/shake/stir when your VG is thinned by heat (<120 F)

@walt3 yeah I have the 2ltr one, but mine has 90 minute timer. 60*c MAX .

I have about 12 x 1 liter batches to buzz up, ill report back when i am done. give me a few days when i find time.

what i was really wanting to know is.
mine has a tap. so i can drain it easily. i was thinking about just chucking 2 liters of juice in there. lower down the mixer paddle. turn on the USC 90min mix n USC. lol

will it go everywhere?

my understanding is the standing waves of the 40+khz freq only vibrate ya shit if its thru water medium?
is that right?

3 Likes

Just throwing my two cents in here. I make small batches (100ml at most, but usually 30ml) and honestly I haven’t noticed a big enough difference from heating to bother with it. I’ve tried a lot of different heating methods from the microwave to hot water baths to rolling up my bottles in a pillowcase and sticking them in the dryer and nothing has noticeably quickened steeping time. Now I haven’t tried a UC or extended heating (more than 30 minutes), but the things I’ve tried have all been more trouble than they’re worth. I can see the benefit in heating large batches for the sake of thinning the vg so that it’s easier to mix, but for smaller bottles its really not that big of a deal to me. Just an extra step.

4 Likes

@R0B is right. Just like boiling ribs before smoking them on the BBQ. WORST thing ever…

3 Likes

@Steve-o_54 Define “harm” hehe. This is a hot topic for sure. I know a lot of people heat, blend, magna stir, emulsify, ultrasonic their juices to try and speed things up. I’m one of the weirdos that doesn’t. Although I’m sure warming might make my 70v/30p juice thinner, I just mix, shake the hell out of it, and let it set, just like a fine wine. Some things, IMO, you just can’t rush. I’m sure you can speed something up, just not sure if you’re speeding up the goodness or not. Waiting DOES suck, but it has taught me how to (once I know it’s a keeper) to mix up a few 120’s ahead of time.

3 Likes

I’m in the no-heat camp. I don’t really have the space for anything like a USC and my crockpot takes up pretty much all my limited counter space in my kitchen. Anything else is just extra work and makes it that less likely I will wanna mix. I also don’t use a lot of VG and my nic is in PG so that’s not really an issue. I used to use a frother to mix, but I quit doing that. Now I just shake and shelve.

5 Likes

I’ve tried heating my mixes up and I can’t really see a difference in steep time. I’ve finally gotten enough bottles made that I can steep comfortably without worrying about running out and not having anything to vape. Since I’ve got to this point I’ve really seen the benefits of just old fashioned time. It’s the master when it comes to getting a great flavor.

2 Likes

Just quoting something I did read in another post regarding the temperature to don’t lose nicotine… It may add to the discussion. In this post the recommended temperature is 115.

3 Likes

I used to run my bottles a hot bath, dim the lights, sprinkle a few rose petals on the surface, light some candles and play some Barry White but to be perfectly honest all I ever found was my bottles being more relaxed…

Just shake the life out of the little buggers and leave em alone in a nice dark place…tough love…but necessary :ok_hand:🖒:heart:

6 Likes

Lol, Ya, I honestly don’t know what the US bath does in terms of “steeping” but it does get rid of all the gas bubbles created by mixing the stuff. I just like using a standardized process so when I change things up in the mix I don’t have to worry about “well maybe I did something different in stirring”. Plus I just dig watching that magnetic stirrer fly around. Like a no effort spinner.

1 Like

Tough juice love for the win !!!

1 Like