How do folks vape CBD

I got some Naked 100 Amazing Mango CBD 1200MG thinking it might help with minor aches and pains due to old farts trying to play in a band. I wired up a dripper with a .56Ω SS coil and hit it with a modest 20 Watts. Took a long time to get vapor, but it came. Holy Crap!!! A freight train hit my throat and lungs. Caugh, hack, narrowed vision. The cats were trying to diall 911. My wife was trying to make sure my life insurance was paid up.

Tried 30 Watts. Fog came faster and so did the convulsions.

What am I supposed to do with this stuff? Is this the way it works? The pain goes away when you black out?

2 Likes

ROAR @SmilingOgre. Coming from another old fart, I have no clue. I am NOT part of the whole NEW school CBD movement, and cannot comment. Hate to see you as our crash test dummy here. Hopefully some of the NEW schoolers and stop by, and skool the OLD skoolers.

3 Likes

I’ve heard a ton of glowing reports from folks to using it after workouts to folks sleeping better. I must be doing something wrong.

2 Likes

I heard that doing it orally rather than vaping it is better…

I like my coffee in my mouth too and not on my clothes! :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

CBD doesn’t have a clear set boiling point (as does THC, at ~157 °C). It’s more in the 160-180 °C range. At or around “boiling point” temperatures, these molecules are well on their way to thermal decomposition (as opposed to a “gaseous state” of the intact molecules) - thus yielding different, simpler, unrelated molecules.

Note that various sugars (as in flavorings) also decompose in the range of 160 °C (or so). Found an excellent list of boiling temps for THCs, CBDs, as well as certain common Terpenes and Flavinoids:
https://www.nwsci.com/customer/docs/SKUDocs/RMR/Technical%20Data_Extractions_03.28.18.pdf

In the case of CBD-A (having the natural, unoxidized carboxylic acid existing on the Number 2 carbon atom), boiling points are significantly higher (316-531 °C). The CBD-A (to be bio-active, regardless of route of administration) need to have been decarboxylated to CBD (using heat over time - see this related paper).

One thought is that perhaps you (might) want to try to limit coil/wick-interface temperatures to lower values ?

From this (pretty good, as they go) web-page (which includes some vaporization temperature values):

Consuming CBD as an edible makes it vulnerable to the “first-pass” through the gut and liver, where the body breaks it down. This strips some of the beneficial properties of CBD away, leaving a lower concentration for your body to receive than what you consumed.

Source: https://www.cbdbreaker.com/faq/cbd-boiling-vaporizing-point-a-guide-to-safe-vaping/

Regarding oral ingestion, as opposed to vapor inhalation. First-pass liver metabolism transforms CBDs as well as THC to a metabolite with a Hydroxyl group on Number 11 Carbon atom. Metabolism renders CBDs, THC to be different molecules - having much lower pharmacodynamic efficacy at CB1 receptors (for THC). On the other hand, busting apart molecules (vaping at/around “boiling” temperatures) seems to be an even weirder form of unintended (and unpredictable) results. These companies sure make an “arm and a leg” of profits on these CBD suspensions. Here in Washington State, legal CBD flower-buds are only around 10 cents per milligram CBD (a fraction of the per milligram CBD costs accompanying the liquid formulations).

3 Likes

I’ve tried 100 or 200mg cbd liquid, no harshness at all… just tried it for the sake of it but didn’t see any benefit for me. I too have heard it is much more effective when taken orally and don’t quite get why people insist on vaping it when ingestion seems like the better method to take it.

5 Likes

It doesn’t do anything for me either, @anon28032772

3 Likes

Have addended my post (above) with additional information. If you (really) are experiencing actual “convulsions” (as you describe), then you might possibly consider not vaporizing this brew (at all).

3 Likes

Well there’s a blinding glimpse of the blatantly obvious. Yup, that’s where we’re at. It may soon become toilet bowl cleaner.

2 Likes

The write-ups seem to say that it is edible. Might as well get something for your money. Best with oils/fats !

3 Likes

CBD made for vaping is sometimes referred to as “CBD vape oil”, but it doesn’t contain any actual oil. A more appropriate name for it is CBD vape juice or CBD distillate. They’re generally made with food grade ingredients, so they can also be taken orally, but are very different from oil-based tinctures. Look carefully at the ingredients. If it contains anything other than PG, VG, CBD extract, terpenes and cannabinoids, then it’s most likely unsuitable for inhalation. Don’t take the risk. It should say something about vaping, vape juice, e-liquid or e-juice on the label and should not contain any actual oil.

3 Likes

Is this your first time using a CBD product?. Its ideal to start low. It may be just too strong for you. I vape about 50 mg-100 mg a day when needed. Our cannabinoid receptors are perfectly designed to detect even trace amounts of CBD and THC. ,Most of the time it doesn’t take much. It all depends on what your desired effect is. If its for pain relief a salve may work better. If its for anxiety, start your dosing low and work your way up. However, if it were me, i would dilute it down. Pour some in a empty bottle then add a little VG or PG to decrease the strength. There really isn’t a set guideline on proper dosing in the CBD world. When asked by friends or family, I recommend dosing @ 1mg/1 lb a day for anxiety. Sometimes its effective and other times, not so much. Everyone’s body is different but typically dosing should start low. You may not need 1200 mg. You may only need 50 mg.
‘’
Oral tinctures can be much more effective than vaping for some. . For quick dosing i use an oral tincture…

4 Likes

Will take your advice. It’s been on a shelf now for a year so maybe I’ll just buy some less concentrated and start over.

3 Likes

You should probably throw it away and buy some isolate. Dilute it in PG and add it to your liquids as you see fit.

3 Likes