How I create Recipes

There are awesome notes on flavor testing already. Hic’s previous notes on FA, the Developed Crew’s notes on Wayne’s DIY or Die page, Reedit first page of the internet … incredible notes from people who’ve been mixing forever and those I can reference newer people too as well. I know I go there before I buy any new flavor :grin:

4 Likes

Heck our own Fresh03 and Session Drummer has great notes on here as well … I’ve read most of them

4 Likes

You’re talking about your specific audience, I’m talking about people I see here and on other forums looking for advice on how to advance to a higher level of mixing prowess.

And I never said anyone who fails to SFT is a poor mixer. I said the advice to SFT is something I will continue to give, and I feel it is important. Important for understanding nuances between flavor versions, but also important because even the best notes from a fellow mixer may not be the same flavor notes you personally derive. I’ve encountered it.

This really devolved into a Definitely SFT vs. Never SFT debate, and I don’t think that was ever the point. To me it was more along the lines of should a new mixer be advised to SFT or not. I personally see a lot of benefit to point out what SFT is and why is can be very useful.

However anyone mixes to their own preference is fine with me. I never was looking to change anyone’s mind or style. I was always just saying that dismissing the notion of SFT isn’t a good idea. I still can’t understand why one would advocate that learning the ins and outs of your flavors is only marginally helpful and may or may not have any benefit.

10 Likes

Good information here and I applaud the OP for her efforts. I have been on this forum for almost 4 years and back a few month I got real tired of the personal attacks and requested all my posts and input be deleted. I personally do not SFT much of anything. Notes and sugestions help and those that do SFT I appriciate the input. I will never tell anyone which is the right or wrong way to formulate a recipt. I for one as a new mixer would have chucked the idea if it required me to SFT. Now I shall go back to the shadows

5 Likes

I have to leave and get ready to take my mom to an appointment, but you know me, I’ll come back and talk about this later and I love having conversations about mixing.

4 Likes

Don’t hide David … opinions should always be heard

4 Likes

OK, so maybe if I clarify something, my position will make more sense.

I understand what you said about your audience being brand new vapers. And I understand that at that point in their journey, higher level methodology isn’t something that needs to be taught. But, words are important!

The advice someone gives to a brand new vaper carries a lot of weight. It sticks in the mind, and becomes sort of a Ten Commandments. Let me give you a few examples from my personal experience:

• When I was as green as the grass in June, the vape shop I went to told me that as soon as possible, I needed to go to direct lung and abandon MTL. Guy said it as if it was mandatory, because great flavor and vapor is only possible at high power. “Oh!” I thought. “Yeah man I better learn DL!!” So I did. Found out later of course that you can vape however you wish, and low power can be perfectly fine too. I get good cloud and taste at 24w.

• When I first started mixing, I was told and read somewhere that my recipes should try to hit 20% flavor as a rule of thumb. So I did. And I stayed with that for far too long. Sunday, I mixed one juice at 1.68% flavor, and another at 2.5%. 20% is no rule of thumb by any means.

My point is, the weight I put on the early information I got was much higher than it was once I understood this vaping thing. And that was because I knew nothing, so the person teaching me must know better than me.

To that end, when you tell a brand new vaper that SFT is simply not important (because that is your preference, which is fine), you are actually writing one of the Ten Commandments for them. So it’s then ingrained in their minds that it is unnecessary. That may come back to bite them like less-than perfect advice burnt me early on. I personally think that rather than a blanket statement of “Should you single flavor test? If that’s what you want to do, by all means do it, I don’t feel the need”, a statement to the effect of “Many find that SFT does have its’ place and can be beneficial later in your DIY journey depending on each person; however, if you are only copying recipes directly, right now you don’t need to consider it.” might be more appropriate.

If that makes sense…

10 Likes

You probably voiced it better, but that is exactly what I meant in my previous posts as well.
The weight of the initial information carries through so it’s important IMO to give recommended guidelines. It’s even better to just not mention something than to give information that could trouble them later.

9 Likes

Perfect with this alone

7 Likes

5 Likes

I won’t bring the subject up at all in my beginner shows, Phil. Most of them have no idea what flavor testing is.

4 Likes

I’m not telling or asking you to do anything, I hope you understand. I just wanted to explain my position and why it is my position. You can tell your minions that juice should be pink if you feel like it. Honest! I’m not the vape police. I like to think no one actually is…

5 Likes

Oh I understood, Phil. I was just addressing your concern about talking about flavor testing to new mixers. I agree there is no reason for me to talk about it one way or another for the things I’m doing. If anyone asks I’ll just say it’s subjective and give them a place to research the topic themselves.

5 Likes

How about we hug it out. Tightly, and lingering until it gets awkward… :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I love hugs!!!

5 Likes

Might I suggest a nice primer for them to be directed to then…

:crazy_face: :rofl: :sunglasses: :grimacing: (Couldn’t help it!!)

7 Likes

Phil, I seriously love you and yes I’ve watched those videos. Most of my folks will be mixing with TPA, CAP, and FA. Those seem to be the easiest to get for most people.

4 Likes

You know why I posted that, ha.

Heck, as @anon84779643 even knows, I’ve never tried FLV and have no immediate plans to. Just funnin’.

5 Likes

LOL I knew and I honestly thought it was funny. We have a lot of people overseas in our group too and they do have trouble getting some of these flavors. I do have a few different companies I love to mix with some Flavorah, Wonder flavors, VTA that I’d love to offer up but … I worry about them getting those.

4 Likes

That’s where I have trouble, I haven’t figured out a good way to test flavors, equipment-wise. What equipment do you use?

3 Likes