How long will 100mg Nic. in PG last unopened?

I put my unopened nic in the freezer until I’m ready to decant it, imagine the fridge is fine as well. Just make sure you let it come to room temperature before opening, you don’t want condensation inside the bottle.

4 Likes

Okey :slight_smile: now i have put it in the freezer in the plastic bottle until i get my hands on this little glass bottles then i split it up and put all in the freezer for a long time

2 Likes

I read somewhere that you can bubble wrap your nic glass bottles to make sure they dont crack? Whats up with that? Is it good? How i do? Just wrap the glass bottles?

2 Likes

Some people go through great lengths to prevent the unpreventable…
If you’re really worried about your glass breaking, why not use PET bottles instead? So far, I haven’t had any glass bottles breaking yet, they’re pretty strong.

Update: on second thought, forget about PET, but there are freezer safe plastic alternatives in case it keeps you up at night.

2 Likes

The wrap is just to protect the glass from other things is the freezer I would imagine. I have a plastic box I keep mine in for this reason.

1 Like

PET for freezing nic? Personally not something I would do.

3 Likes

Hmn … you’ve got a point :+1:
PET is probably not the best (i’ll update my answer) solution but there are freezer safe plastic bottles that one could use.
In any case, small glass bottles are usually pretty strong and don’t easily break inside a freezer.

2 Likes

I put mine in 30 ml bottles and keep 4 in the inside freezer and the 500 ml bottle in the garage freezer.

2 Likes

@min0 Bubble wrapping the bottles might be a bit extreme. Unless you’re really jamming things into your freezer, should not be an issue.

1 Like

I’ve not tried nic from a ton of suppliers, but one of the things I really love about RTS… Um, Nicotine Giant, its called now… is that their PG/VG/NIC come in nice dark amber plastic bottles. Really does make it seem to last longer before going skunky than a clear bottle, even kept in fridge or freezer, for us.

@SessionDrummer thx for the link! Didn’t realize I could get nice amber glass labware that inexpensive at Amazon! Ooh, and they have nice prices on the cobalt and green with dripper, which I prefer for my mixed recipes.

4 Likes

I have nicotine in my freezer from 4 years ago and it is as fresh as it was the day I received it. It may be time to restock again soon with the new FDA regulations (not clear on how this will affect nicotine base yet nor are the vendors I have spoken with BUT it reads ominously). As for it being in a base of PG or VG; I believe that VG will last longer but the PG is definitely easier to work with. I’m going to save my couple of liters on ice for when I really need them and restock PG shortly.

1 Like

What would be the reason for this? This is the first time I hear there’d be a difference between PG and VG nic in terms of best before date, always thought it was the nicotine itself that turns bad before the VG or PG it is sitting in.

2 Likes

Nic in VG will oxidise slower that nic in PG in my experience.

2 Likes

Perhaps vg thickness insulates the nic from short temp changes like defrosting cycles better?

2 Likes

Ah that’s good to know. I’ve always used VG and was considering giving PG a try… guess I’ll just stick with VG since I have no issues with it.

3 Likes

Agree with Woftam; I believe that given the viscosity of VG and the kinetics of it (being slower in the cold state than PG) would tend to slow any potential oxidation process. Neither of the bases will oxidize quickly (perhaps decades) in a deep chill but I am rationalizing that VG is the most stable. There are other discussions regarding increased potential condensation of VG vs PG in long term storage, but these discussions are more around defrosting upon warming. I am not maintaining that there is an exact science to my belief but based on everything I have read, VG seems to have the potential for the longest possible longevity (Argon gas header would be the best possible scenario).

2 Likes

Lastly, as I previously stated …If you are not PG sensitive and not worried about potential disruption of supply (i.e. regulatory prohibition, taxation, etc) then go with PG; it lasts a really long time in the freezer (perhaps even as long as VG) and mainly because it is easier to work with!

2 Likes

I have and use 5 year old nic in PG and VG.
Both are as fresh as I bought them in 2014.
Prefer working with PG tho.
Stored in glass with poly cone caps at -15deg f.

6 Likes

+1 for those Poly Cone caps.

3 Likes

@woftam, @anon28032772, @HVPGH, @OddModicum, @Daven

From NudeNic…

Few last points to cover – shelf-life varies largely by nicotine strength, as well as PG/VG ratio. Higher nicotine strengths will possess more nicotine molecules, less likely to be completely solvated by their carrier (PG/VG). Put simply – 100mg/mL formulations will keep for less time than a 24mg/mL formulation. PG is also a much better solvent for this purpose – it has an extremely low viscosity, will dissipate dispersed oxygen bubbles quickly (say that 4 times fast!), and has a longer shelf-life chemically (2 years from DOM, vs. VG – 1 year). Thus some may only see a short shelf-life for a 100mg/mL solution kept on a shelf compared to a 24mg/mL solution kept in multiple frozen aliquots. Remember, nicotine solution solvated in wither PG or VG WILL NOT FREEZE!

4 Likes