How to buy Fast Tech pre wrap coils

Wondering on how to purchase pre wrapped coils from Fast Tech? I was thinking on buying some SS Aliens but I’m a little confused on the size. I was thinking inner diameter of 3mm or 1/8 but they give so many size specs that left me staring at page lol.
If I buy say .3 ohm coils, and put two in my atty, would that give me final ohm of .15 I’m guessing?

Not sure if my Alien 220 mod is able to go lower than .15 ohms or .1 at the bottom so I want to keep it above .1 for sure.

1 Like

Yes, it would.

2 Likes

32 AWG / 0.2mm dia. / 0.3mm*0.8mm flat size / 0.28ohm Ok This is why I am confused lol. How big is the inside diameter of these? It doesn’t say for example 3mm or 2.5 mm etc???

1 Like

It doesn’t say what ID it is on those coils

1 Like

Exactlyl lol, I’ve been at this for two hours lol. I’m thinking of just buying some stainless steel wire and wrapping my own but I don’t know the size of that either lol. I’m on Steam Engine now plugging in calculations. SS 316 wire size of maybe 28 ish gage maybe … hmm. help lol.

1 Like

You live in the us or something right?
These guys have really good wire and coils.

4 Likes

This. Times a thousand.

1 Like

AVS has good wire as does temco and lightningvapes. I currently have simple ss wire from temco and ss clapton from LV. In simple wire I use mostly 22 and 24, or twisted 26 and triple twisted 28 to get down to the ohm range you are talking (and lower) in my dual coil builds. For ss clapton I have been using the 24/36 at 7 wraps to get down to 0.15 - 0.2 ohm. The clapton spools with higher gauges will obv get you slightly higher ohms in the 0.2 - 0.3 range IIRC.

2 Likes

Get ready for a drink from a fire hose! There’s a lot to learn about coils. I’ve been winding for about three months and am having a ball trying all kinds of wire. Steam engine is a life saver once you get used to using it. Exotic coils all have their idiosyncrasies. Some are really bulky. Some heat up and cool down very slowly. Stainless has very low resistance. For example; a SS 2 x 24 wrapped with a 32 is a flat wire that is 1.5mm wide. That’s a long coil to get .3Ω even with a 4mm center. Not too many decks can accommodate that especially if you want to build a two coil configuration. You will have to cram a shit load of wire in there. I’m learning by the day. Got a lot spools laying around, lol.

3 Likes

Oh I’ve built my share of coils. My issue now is time. I would rather make coils than mix but mixing has become a necessity and I want to expand beyond the 3 recipes I keep in rotation. So that leaves me with AVS. A $50 order from them of prebuilt coils and premade wire will last me over a year. This frees up time for mixing and creating new recipes.

4 Likes

I’m retired, I guess. I still work as self employed maybe three or four days a week because I can’t sit home. Regardless, I have a lot of time to putz. I don’t dyi my exotic coils. I buy spools made up. But I do dig the activity of winding. Although I enjoy trying different types of exotic wire, for my daily vaping I always end back up with either simple wire or simple clapton. I guess I’m accustomed to the vapor production, flavor, ramp times, and heat of simple wires.

4 Likes

Thank you everyone, can someone turn that fire hose off now, my head hurts lol. I am trying to use steam engine, pretty straight forward for single wire but confusing for multi. @TheTinMan1 try my Tropic Terror, I can’t seem to get enough lol.
I have a $1.50 coil wrap tool coming from Fast Tech so I’m thinking of just buying a spool of SS Clapton or straight wire and trying this myself. Been watching videos for months. I have a spool of Kanthal 24 gauge I haven’t tryied yet but am thinking SS is healthier.

2 Likes

@Walt3 do you used spaced coils or fused up. I use RBA Goon dripper mainly so I was thinking close formed.

1 Like

I use mostly SS spaced. Not hugely spaced. I leave myself open for temp control which is kinda dumb because I use TC once in a blue moon. A contact coil in a goon would make a lot of sense. I will say this. I have a brass goon and with a low resistance exotic build in it, it gets HOT! That brass conducts some heat. Great for warming rooms or cooking small H’ordervers.

3 Likes

Ok Steam Engine chugged out this for me. SS 316 single wire for dual coil target range of .2ohms using 26 guage wire at 5 wraps for inner diameter of 3mm. For starters lol. I’m guessing 26 is the guage of choice for simple coil in ss. @Fozzy71 24 gauge would need about 8 wraps is that what you talking? Should fit the Goon RBA I’m guessing. Would more wraps equal more flavour? Also I am guessing SS 316 is the main choice for you guys and gals as well. Looking for a flavour sum vape with great vapor production as well.

1 Like

I normally rock the 24g ss316L 9 wrap 3mm id on my goon and it makes me happy. (Dual coil) Flavor is good, easy to clean, and cheap to replace

2 Likes

@Chrispdx dual coil? One wire or Fused Clapton, A simple single wire is probably great as well. I’m using Dual NiChrome fused Claptons for about 5-6 weeks now and cleaned only once. Kinda get a metal taste now and again.

2 Likes

Thanks again everyone for the ideas and help…you guys rock.

3 Likes

Dual. Yup.

2 Likes

I would find myself losing time when I coiled. Go into the lab to make a foot of wire and two hours later I’m like wth. Totally loat track of time.

4 Likes