How to get best flavor from Griffin rta on rx200

I currently have a dual coil spaced titanium build in my Griffin rta sitting on my rx200. It’s reading 0.14 and I’m running it at 50w and 500-520F. I have not been able to produce the amount of flavor that I would like and I’m not quite sure what to do. I have tried running dual contact coils, as well, but I’m getting the same results. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I’m having the same problem. I’m running a 22g Ti build @ .8 ohms. IMO the Grif is not a high flavor tank. Maybe the new top airflow will help it out. I’m waiting to hear how it works before I invest more in this tank.

1 Like

If anything, top airflow will mute the flavor even further.
I’ve been running it with 0.51mm Kanthal (0.5ohm) on the Hohmwrecker G2 and it’s doing fine in regards to flavor, though admittedly the Griffin is geared more towards cloudchasing.
I’ve got a review of the Griffin (and the mod) coming up but it’s proving hard to find time to publish them. Damn schedules.

1 Like

So, I pulled out the titanium coils and put in a dual coil kanthal build. Getting better flavor, but I really want to keep using TC. Disappointing, to say the least.

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to buy an RTA and have been watching all the threads and comments on the griffin tank, don’t care about clouds I want flavor.

So what is the best RTA for flavor?

Been using a Crown RBA and that thing is not the answer. Love the Crown with pre built coils but the Rba is hard to build a non leaking set up.

The griffin is amazing for flavor, I love mine and use it all the time. I don’t even touch my other tanks anymore. I use a small build, 28g kanthal spaced I get around .8 to .5 vape around 30 to 40 watts and the flavor is amazing. Sometimes more is worse. I kept it simple and I’m very pleases with the results. I’m a flavor chaser as well and tank does exactly that. I don’t even have a need to even look at other tanks right now.

3 Likes

mutation x mt-rta and aromamizer
i think these 2 have the best flavor, hands down.
they have the combination of flavor and ease of use, which is huge to me. i dont like things to be difficult or complicated.

2 Likes

I got the new 25mm griffin coming with the top airflow. I will keep yeah updated on how this works out for flavor.

2 Likes

I’m running 3mm, 28 guage kanthal with 6 wraps split, coming in at .75 ohms at 25 to 30 watts and getting great flavor.

It seems like this tank is good with kanthal and lower power. I prefer TC and a bit more power and heat, though.

The griffin has become my go to tank have 2 of them. Have only used ss in them. In my experience using rba’s wicking seems to be the most important part. Have several highly recommended rba’s that didn’t work well for me. Seemed like there was not enough juice getting to the coils. The griffin I get the best flavor ever had in a tank. Then can close juice flow and put in my pocket. No leaks that way. Have had leaking when not properly wicked and forgetting to close juice flow when refilling. This is my experience with this one.

1 Like

Have a look at the Youde Bellus. It has side-airflow like most drippers and to date is one of the most flavorful RTAs I’ve had.
The Aromamizer might be a close second, though I would definitely go for the V2 that has the steel airflow ring.
Other RTAs that are awesome for flavor, but less so for clouds are the Rose and the Übertoot. They cater more to MTL vaping though.

3 Likes

The Griffin top airflow design isn’t like this though. The air doesn’t just come in from the top. It travels down to the coil before it comes back up the tube and into your pie hole. The TFV4 top airflow on the tip just adds more air into the mixture. But with the Griffin it is added to the mixture at the coil and could make that tank pretty spectacular.

The reason I say this is because of the Cubis. It has the air coming in from the top. But it goes down around the outside of the chimney, around the coil, and back up through the center of the chimney just like the Griffin. In fact, I bet that is where they got the idea. The Cubis is an entry level tank. And back when I had my Sub-Tank mini on a mod every day had I had a Cubis I would have said “Holy shit!” the first time I vaped it.

2 Likes

I concur with @Whiterose0818. The Aromamizer has been my top tank for a while now. I just got the Billow v3 and it’s right there too for flavor. I’m on my 3rd day with the Bv3 and it’s the only tank I’ve used since it arrived.

1 Like

Just changed the coils on my Griffin, using duel kanthal claptons at 3mm internal diameter and 7,5 wraps to hit at about .53 ohm and vaping at 30 watts. Took about 1 tank for the cotton wick taste to go away But I really like the tank… just waiting for the Griffin 25 to become available.

Vaporesso Gemini is supposed to be better than the griffin, it’s the reason the griffin added the top airflow design

Something needs to be said here:
First, everyone is different and everyone will have their own opinion, of course, and opinions are influenced by other people’s likes and dislikes.
But what I REALLY wanna say:
To me, the best flavor comes from the mutation x mt-rta and the aromamizer …but that doesn’t mean I ONLY carry those 2 tanks. I oftentimes carry other tanks. While they may not taste as good as the other two, they will still give me good flavor, but the thing I’m trying to say here is that they offer a different kind of vape. It’s kinda hard to put it into words., but every tank gives a different kind of vape. The mutation x mt-rta and aromamizer are the most flavorful, but are 2 different kinds of vapes. So you’ll see me choosing my tanks in the morning based on what kind of vape I’m in the mood for that day. So I continue to build on other tanks, I continue to vape on other tanks and I will continue to carry other tanks. And, of course, I will continue to buy new/other tanks!
Examples:
Mutation X mt-rta
Aromamizer
Mutank
Ohmega Alpha
Ohmega BFT
Diablo 2.5 & 5
Hastur
Cthulhu
Apache
Zpal Coral
Tfv4
Griffin
Reaper plus
Billow v2
Moonshot
Scylla
Goliath v2
Crius
Arctic v8
Crown
Cleito

These are all tanks in my collection…some are used daily, some often, some occasionally, some seldom…but they are all usable and see playtime. And, yes, they all offer a different vape. They all offer an enjoyable vape.

2 Likes

Yup. :+1:

10char

In my experience, from the griffin 22 being hands down my go to tank for months now. I’ve learned its ins and outs. Recently got the griffin 25, and at the watts I run, disappointing, and I shouldnt feel bad, but I wanted it anyways. For the power I run, the griffin 25 has too much airflow and even closing off top air, the deck cap is too big and provides too much air to concentrate the flavor that I like, so ive been dealing with the 3 ml or so tank of the griffin 22.

Now, in my experience, if you want to run the tank exceptionally, but not at high watts, build a stappled fused clapton 28/36 nic80 5 wraps. 50 to 55w. The flavor is outstanding, huge clouds as well. A kanthal clapton 26/32 spaced 5 wrap works almost as well at 50w if you aren’t feeling adventurous on a DIY build.

2 Likes

Same here. :grinning:

I’ve pretty much stopped looking at new RTA’s lately; no need to, since my style of coil builds are what’ll fit nicely in a Griffin.:sunglasses:

1 Like