I need help from the experts

Hi everyone.

So I have an idea for a few variations on the same recipe, based off of INW Biscuit.

So my idea is to have INW biscuit be the base, but to have different fruit creams as the second note. For instance, lemon cream biscuit or cranberry cream biscuit or strawberry cream biscuit or chocolate cream etc. We have a product here (not sure if it’s internationally available) by the name of Baker’s Lemon Creams. It’s a simple biscuit with slight hints of vanilla and coconut with a lemon cream/icing center.

So I was thinking of doing INW Biscuit at 2.5% as a base, but that’s unfortunately as far as I got as I don’t have a lot of experience with creams or getting them to pair well with fruits.

If there is someone willing to help me on this, please feel free to look at what I have in my flavour stash and advise on the next step?

Thank you all for being awesome!

9 Likes

Are Baker’s Lemon Creams what would be called a cookie in the US? The biscuit/cookie you describe sounds like the Royal Dansk Butter Cookie. If that’s the case, you might want to try adding a shortbread flavor to shore up the INW Biscuit. Something like Shortbread (SSA) might help. If you still need to add more vanilla and coconut, I can make some suggestions but as for the lemon cream filling I’ll leave it to someone else. Lemon is not my forte.

8 Likes

Hi @muth . I’m not sure what would be considered a cookie vs biscuit. I suppose I would try explain like it’s an oreo, but instead of chocolate and vanilla cream it’s a (very) light vanilla/coconut with a lemon cream.

I’ve tested INW cookie solo at 2.5% and that’s what gave me the idea. I believe it to be a really good base for the recipe that would need very little tweaking, if any.

6 Likes

May help or not. Most biscuits are not a pure biscuit but a cookie and biscuit mix. I would approach my base in that manner. Once the base is ironed out you can move to your next objective.

6 Likes

Oh, I thought you said INW Biscuit in your OG post. We have Oreo type cookies with lemon filling over here but I’ve never had one. For vanilla and coconut, Shisha Vanilla might be nice, it’s creamy. INW also makes a coconut cookie that’s nice but for a straight coconut there are many good ones such as Flavorah Sweet Coconut, Delosi, VSO, VTA et al. Idk what’s available to you.

7 Likes

Makes sense @rcleven. As I said, I’ve tried it as a solo and I think it would work. I just need help really with the lemon cream part to add.

7 Likes

Never tasted the product. The lemon cream would be easier to create than getting the balance correct of the biscuit. Meringue would be my choice of cream. The lemon would be tougher because of fade. You can work that to your advantage by a higher percentage of lemon than you think you need.
It’s still a two part process. First would be the biscuit second the lemon cream. Develope each separately. When you’re happy with both separate then combine.

9 Likes

That makes sense, yes. I’m wanting to start with the cream first.

Would Meringue not be too light/fluffy? The cream in this biscuit is very similar in texture and consistency to the cream in and Oreo biscuit, with a lemon flavour instead of vanilla.

6 Likes

Meringue is about the heaviest cream I can think of without going to a custard. It’s your mix your taste buds. I would test it with custard, meringue, and a sweet cream depending on what you want to accomplish. Maybe 5 ml of each. Just remember what you’re biscuit strength is since you want it on top.

5 Likes

Good point. I appreciate the advice. I will play around with the creams etc I’ve got in my arsenal.

7 Likes

In reality the only thing that is a cookie is chocolate chip. Shortbread is a biscuit

5 Likes

I didn’t look at your flavor stash but I would highly recommend this recipe as a cookie base and work from there:

11 Likes

Thank you @Rocky02852 , I’ll have a look through what I have and put what I’m missing on my next order. Much appreciated.

7 Likes

I’m sure I’d call them custard creams where are you on this round blob

7 Likes

I was at work earlier but the Baker’s Lemon Creams caught my attention as I have been thinking the same thing lately… looking through your stash I don’t see any lemons I would use, Lemon Sicily FA, used to be my favorite but for some reason I can’t use it anymore and paired with cream I get a pepper note now. I’m thinking of going with the new CAP Lemon Drop which I think works great in bakery recipes. The cream part is another problem I haven’t nailed down yet…

6 Likes

That’s the point I was trying to drive home but I guess my opinions are chicken liver :rofl:

In this country shortbread is looked upon as a sweet, buttery cookie. All the other non-sweetened types are seen as crackers or biscuits, like breakfast biscuits for example. Biscuits and gravy is a common pair here.
Easy Country Sausage Gravy - Budget Bytes
Can’t imagine that gravy poured over a sweet cookie :face_with_diagonal_mouth: . Lesson learned…when a foreigner asks for biscuit or cookie advice, I’ll bug out!

5 Likes

Yes, I believe that’s where the Nice Custard Cream name by Chef’s came from. Nice one, Rocky :wink:

5 Likes

We have plenty of biscuits here. Oreo is one only in chocolate. Keebler makes their lady fingers along with peanut butter cookie. It’s easy to get confused. I associate biscuit with hard crisp cookie where Cookie flavors are the soft sweet dough. Short bread being more buttery.

6 Likes

So an Oreo is called a biscuit over there? I thank you for clarifying the distinction between here and there, rcleven. For us, a cookie is a cookie that comes crispy and also soft and chewy. I can see how confusion prevails.

7 Likes

I think skinnyboy is in South Africa. What is amazing is they have many of the same products we have over here.

6 Likes