I need help with juice

I do it too. Except when I don’t. Then I get mad when I realize I’m not leaving myself that extra headroom. :tired_face:

I will be doing that. I guess I never thought of that! Thanks for the tip!

Haha I can imagine that happening to me!

Very true, this slipped my mind. You got to be able to shake it. Good call…

3 Likes

When you get into a routine for handling your nicotine, you will get over your fear of using it. Just don’t become complacent and forget to be safe once you do get into a routine. I have caught myself reaching for the bottle a couple times without my gloves on. But I don’t get all dressed up any more. Hell, I am usually in my pajamas and wearing a short sleeve shirt. I know people on here will cringe reading that. But after doing a lot of research on nicotine poisoning, I really don’t think getting 100mg nicotine on me is going to kill me. Maybe it might make me sick. But if people have drank 1500ml of pure nicotine and lived, I don’t think a drop on my arm is going to ruin my day. Just as you aren’t supposed to get acetone or other stuff on your skin. If you do, you are told to consult a physician immediately. Blah blah blah. I used to wash my hands with acetone. I am of course older and wiser now. I am just careful when handling it. The day I dropped my bottle of nicotine now has me picking the container up firmly by the bottle instead of the cap. I’m not scared of it. I am respectful of it. Kinda like a snake charmer grabs a Cobra with his bare hand. That is my routine.

One little note I can add when handling your nicotine if you do get a bottle with a spout cap, I always wipe the tip of the bottle before putting the cap back on. That way no nic is dripping down the spout when I grab the bottle next time. Especially since I sometimes move my bottle of nic around without gloves on. I keep it up on a shelf well away from my son. Even though my mixing room is a room he doesn’t go into. I still worry. But when I get ready to mix I move it to my mixing table, usually before I get my gloves on. So I keep that bottle spotless.

1 Like

Where did you hear that? A drop of 100mg isn’t going to do you in, but the LD50 for nicotine is 0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg (that’s per kg of body weight) or around 40 to 60 mg in an average human. I can’t conceive how drinking a milliliter (let alone a liter and a half) of pure nicotine (1000 mg/ml) wouldn’t kill just about anyone.

Sorry if that came off as naggy, but stories radically downplaying the danger of nicotine bug me almost as much as the ones exaggerating it. :worried:

It was on Wikipedia. I found reports of people attempting suicide by drinking nicotine. They supposedly lived. It mentioned one person died by injecting nicotine.

No, that is a myth. It’s pure speculation.

It is believed that the true LD50 of nicotine is somewhere around 500-1000 mg for a human adult (4 mg/ml blood plasma). Possibly higher. There are cases where people have 1500 mg nicotine and survived, even though they weren’t treated for hours.

1 Like

Like I said, I did a lot of research on nicotine poisoning. I wanted to make sure I knew the symptoms, and everything I could find out about the dangers. Sure, it’s dangerous. But not to the level of what everyone seems to believe. You can do your own research and make your own conclusions. Even though I am downplaying the dangers of it, it is afterall a poison. Not any different than drain cleaner, rat poison, bug spray, and many other things common to many households. All I know is what I have read, which was a lot.

Thanks for telling me about that. So that would be 0.5-1 ml of pure nicotine or 5-10 ml of 100 mg nic. Just treat it with respect, regardless. I think we all can agree you don’t really want to get any of the concentrated stuff in your eyes, nose, or mouth. :grimacing:

This reminds me of something I first saw a few months ago. I was told “don’t get e-liquid on your skin, if you do wash it off quickly”. Then I go to my local vape shop and the owner and manager are there tasting liquids that just arrived! I asked “won’t that hurt you?”. The owner replied “Never has, I’ve been doing it for 2 years”.

So that is how I sample e-liquids now when I go to the shop and don’t bring my dripper. I have tasted up to 5 flavors one drop at a time in a matter of 20 minutes with no ill effects. I have seen them taste more than that and they are there all day. So I can only assume they taste a lot of juices throughout the day. Customers come in wanting something similar to a juice they have, so they taste it and that’s usually the first step to matching up the liquid with something they carry. And they are very good at it.

Yes. It is true. Nicotine definitely has the potential to kill you. But I think nicotine has been built up into a funnel web spider, when in reality it’s just a daddy long leg. Just my personal opinion of course.

I started vaping 2-3 years ago. started 10 ml. a week to 30 ml a day. If you are a heavy vapor then yes make ejuice. But if you a light vapor. the just buy your shore bought stufff.

I do think a person who goes through 30-50 ml a week still benefits from diy. The cost is still cheaper, it’s fun to mix, and most of all you know more about what exactly you are putting in the bottle.

Plus you don’t have to worry about some knuckle head messing up the mix by not putting nic in the mix or too much. I had the zero mix on my first bottle ever purchased and read countless other replys of bnm juices coming with more than labeled.

Just my opinion. But I do truly love doing my own diy. Plus I love the group and community of fellow diy’ers here. Many of the vape shops I have been in don’t fit my personality, and I have been to a lot of them since we have a ton in the Pacific Northwest.

1 Like

Your right there loadvapor. I have also tasted juice by drops. I thing there talking about is 100% nic. getting in your eyes by your hands or a slash. Other than that, yes there to much hipe on the ejuice with nic.Now I vape around 1-3 mg of nic, and did some blood work, one of the test was for nicotine. It was 175 PPM. that was =to light to heavy smoker, so i thing that some of the nicotine is absorbed through the skin. But no it’s not going to kill you . The only way that I would see that if one would drink a some 100% nic.

My name is rick and I was wondering if you could help me. I just got some nicotine 1.2%(-)-Nicotine Solution 12 mg. On the back of the bottle it states that it is 100% vg. Am I to assume that vg is in the nicotine and I don’t need to add any
vg to it because all the advice I am receiving is showing me a much thinner liquid than what I have. What I was instructed to do is this: 40% vg, 40% pg, 10% nicotine, and 10% flavor. It just doesn’t seem right. Can you please help me?

Pure nicotine is a poison and dangerous to handle. They dilute it in either VG or PG to make it safer to handle.

The recipe calculator on the ELR home site will allow you to plug in the strength of your nicotine (12mg) and nicotine vg ratio (100%). You’ll still need to add VG, PG, and flavorings to what you already have, and specify what your target nicotine strength is (3mg) for example). The calculator will do the work of telling you how much of your solution to add. Think of it like a flavoring. It’s just a percentage of the total mix. In the long run higher strength nicotine solutions than yours will be cheaper but less safe to handle without gloves and proper care.

1 Like

Sounds about right to me if your flavoring makes a good stand-alone at 10%. Should yield a 10% flavor 1.2mg 50/50 PG/VG mix. Nic’s a bit low for my preferences, but that’s gonna vary for everyone.

Just do what @Big_Benny_MI said and use the calculator. If you need a visual instruction watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W55mXSxhwQY

I would start with how many MG of nicotine do you want in your finished project and then you can just input this into the calculator.
As the guys stated, nicotine comes in a carrier/dilution of either PG, VG or a combo of both. Using the calculator is the way to go, unless you are a math wiz :wink:

Check out this you tube vid by DYI or DIE some great facts and figures