I QUIT Smoking by VAPING. The DATE, My STORY

When this thread accidentally got moved to a PM, it reset everyone’s notifications to “Watching” which means you’re notified any time someone posts a reply. If you’d like to still see the little number but don’t want notifications unless someone replies to you or mentions you, set it to tracking. If you only want to know when someone replies to or mentions you, set it to normal. If you don’t want to see it at all, set it to muted.

5 Likes

You weren’t supposed to admit it!! :angry:

Pffbbt. It was funnier when we could blame it on “Ralph_the_wonder_llama”!! (No harm, no shame, no blame, and everyone gets to chuckle.)

Now I feel bad. hugs you

I wasn’t trying to embarrass anyone. I just thought it would be a fun way to let old and new alike know that we all should expect some “unexpected events” in the coming days as all of these wonderful folks “learn to drive” this behemoth that is the ELR Forum software. :wink:

9 Likes

Welcome and glad you are now a non-smoker! Over 5 months of no “Stinky’s”, my DR. Said my lungs are clear! Vaping my own juices is the best way, for me, to stay healthier and happier😃

7 Likes

Lets get this thread (and that derailed train) back on track…

After 3 decades of smoking I spotted a some cigalikes in my local smoke shop. Right away I realised they weren’t for me so I started researching e-cigs online. A couple of months later, around December, I had purchased an Innokin iStick V3 kit and and a VTC kit and a sample pack of 30 different juice flavors in tiny 6ml bottles. This all sat in a drawer until late May when I decided to pull the trigger and give vaping a serious try.

On day 1 of my vaping journey I smoked 25% less stinkies than normal. On day 2 I smoked 50% less stinkies than normal. On day 3 I smoked 75% less stinkies. By day 4 I had completely replaced smoking with vaping. During those first few days I had to put a rubber band around my pack of smokes to stop me lighting up out of habit before remembering I was trying to vape instead. After a week of vaping I threw out all my packs of smokes.

I haven’t smoked since June the 6th 2014 :sunglasses: and have replaced the habit that was slowly killing me with a hobby I enjoy.

13 Likes

That is awesome @DaveR1 and welcome to our friendly forum!

8 Likes

I only started vaping 4 days ago. I loved my ciggies and I’m already converted. I’ve gone from 30 cigs a day to 3 in just a few days!!! Just gotta work out all these flavours that are out there…too many!

14 Likes

Awesome! Well done you! :tada:

6 Likes

That is awesome! Welcome to the forum @marsh8

6 Likes

Chantix for me was like… OMG… I had a terrible reaction to it.

4 Likes

I had tried quitting smoking cigarettes cold-turkey, patches, and gum with no real success. I did stop for about a couple of years with Chantix, but at a wild and crazy party, I smoked a cigarette and was hooked - again! I continued to smoke cigarettes for another couple of years.

In June of 2017, my son came to the island for a long overdue visit and he was vaping instead of smoking. Of course I was intrigued. After a quick test drive of his setup, I googled for a a brick and mortar vape shop (which are just now starting to appear here), finally found one and I was out the door. With my son it tow, I purchased my own kit and have not had a cigarette since! Thanks to my son, my nasty cigarette habit turned into a healthier new hobby.

The up front cost of diving into the deep end of the vaping pool was a bit more than I expected (mainly due to international shipping costs and building my flavor stash) but is offset by not buying cigarettes. Gathering vape knowledge from across the internet, building coils, mixing my own e-liquid sure is fun, relaxing and satisfying, but most importantly it’s healthier - which is priceless. Besides…
It’s only money… They’ll make more for me to spend!

16 Likes

…same for me. My son turned me on to vaping… he basically saved me from myself! :grinning:

11 Likes

Same here. I wanted to embrace my son without the disticable breath of ‘‘death’’.

8 Likes

Just said that to a friend…you can always replace money… Time is priceless!!!

8 Likes

Started vaping back in August 2015 after 15 years of smoking. I went back a couple times to the cigs before finally kicking the habit for good in Jan 2016. Best thing i ever did.

8 Likes

It’s been a week now and ciggies taste like crap!! Vaping must be better. I tried to dutch oven the car while vaping yesterday, it all just dissipated if you do that with ciggies you can’t see out the window pretty quick.

10 Likes

snicker, gotta get you some gear upgrades…Grats again!

5 Likes

Hey, Bro. So proud for you!:sunglasses::icecream:

4 Likes

My last cigarettes was back in '11, although i started vaping since '09 when i get my first cigalikes kit. I always alternate between cigalike and cigarettes. Though cigalike taste shitty, it does cut down my 2 pack a day to half pack. I finally stopped smoking when i upgraded to vape pen, i can’t remember which come first the ego C or T. Since then, i totally quit smoking. It has been a bliss for all these years smoke free. I am now though struggling to cut down my nicotine intake to zero.

But i had problem with anything lower than 2mg. I am brewing my own juices, everytime i tried making it 0mg, I always fallback to my 2mg juices. I wish, and hope that someday i will be nicotine free as well.

9 Likes

How vaping helped me to finally quit smoking after 30 years!!

I’m speaking from personal experience. I starting smoking at age 12 sneaking a cigarette here and there. At age 14, I would go offshore lobstering during the summer. I would buy 2-3 cartons on each trip and each trip lasted 3-4 days and sometimes longer. Over the years, I tried to quick over and over again. I would be fine, then I’d get pissed at something, stressed out, or be at a social event having a few drinks and be right back to smoking again. I tried the gum, “OMG that was horrible!” dip “which is far worse than smoking & absolutely DISGUSTING!!” The mass market e-cigs “Blu, Logic, etc” and they did NOT work and they are also owned by the BIG tobacco companies! Hated the taste and went right back to cigarettes smoking 1.5 packs a DAY, at $10.25 per pack. That is 10.5 packs per week, spending $107.63 per week! Now $107.63 times 4 weeks, that is $430.52 a month, which is a car payment on a nice vehicle! Grab $430.52 and multiply that by 12 months and I was spending $5166.24 and year! Kinda makes you sick thinking about it.

In the Fall of 2014, my good friend Joe introduced me to his brother John who has been vaping for a long time. He told me about it and I thought to myself “this way to complicated and a pain!” So I just took it with a grain of salt and blew it off. As the months went by I started asking local tobacco shops about vaping or as they called it “advanced e-cigs” and they had little to NO knowledge about it and all they cared about was the all might dollar!!

January 2015 I decided it was time to quit, so I asked John if he could help me and order a setup for me. On January 24th I quit cold turkey due to a bad cold that I had for over a week and was out of work sick, but I knew as soon as I felt better I would just startup again. On February 3rd, my friend John told me that my equipment was in “I was VERY thankful, considering I was getting very jittery and snappy from quitting”. My setup: IPV Mini 30 Watt Mod, Sony VTC4 Authentic Battery, 2 Lemo RTA’s & a sample bottle of blueberry e-juice/e-liquid that he game me from his stash. After he showed me how to setup & configure the equipment, I took my first drag, excuse me “inhail”. OMG I was in heaven! I knew right there and then that vaping was my answer and haven’t touched a cigarette since January 24th and nor have I even had a desire for it.

Ask anyone that vapes and you will pretty much get a story similar to mine. Vaping does work on helping people quit smoking. Cigarettes have 18mg of nicotine, as well as thousands of other harmful ingredients, including the chemical on the wrapping paper that extinguishes a cigarette that is left unattended for “safety”, yeah right! You can vape as high as 24mg and as low as 0mg. I personally vape at 6mg, 3mg, or sometimes even 0mg! The ingredients in e-juice/e-liquid VG (vegetable glycerin), PG (propylene glycol), Nicotine, & Flavoring THAT IS IT!!!

Speaking of flavoring, I have never heard of anyone complaining on what flavor I was vaping. If anything I get, “that smells amazing!”

Now that I don’t smoke:

PROS:
I feel great & have more energy.

Helps you increase your water intake, which was always a problem for me!

My taste buds & sense of smell have improved.

More money in my pocket.

Don’t have to go outside to smoke, but will from time to time to keep others at ease.

No more smelly cloths.

No more burn marks on clothing, upholstery, etc.

No more cleaning ashtrays and picking up cigarette butts.

On personal forms when asked if you smoke? You can simply say NO!

CONS:
Always have a small kit that contains extra bottles of e-juice/e-liquid, extra atomizers, batteries, cotton, coils, tools, mod, etc.

You should have a backup mod, just in case one should fail.

STAY away from smoke detectors. Vapor will trip them regardless if they are photoelectric or ionization! I have tried this myself & it’s a great way to test smoke detectors. LOL

Inconclusion:
I have been vaping for over 3 years now & have never had a cigarette or a desire to smoke a cigarette. What other alternative option can say that?

So you decide what is better? After smoking for 30 years & finally quitting for good, I can personally say “Thank you to all the men and women that has made vaping possible!!
– ComputerJohn, Massachusetts, USA –

14 Likes

This is spot on!!! I have only been vaping for 2 weeks now and everything you said I agree with 100%. I came back from my break last week and was told I smelt like strawberries. This is the first time anyone at my workplace had not smelt cigarettes on me. I smoked for 23 years a pack a day and within 2 weeks, I only have a cigarette at night time because of some other chemical in there. But to go from 20-30 a day to ONE try and tell me that vaping is not a great quitting tool and I will tell you
"You’re a FOOL!!!"

9 Likes