I QUIT Smoking by VAPING. The DATE, My STORY

Congrats welcome to elr

2 Likes

Congratulations @fidonasir and welcome to ELR.

2 Likes

So, since Iā€™m browsing random vape stuff anyway, I might as well post here.
Started smoking at 13, mostly as a kind of revenge-ish symbolic act to my parents, who didnā€™t quit although I was telling them for years that it would harm them (ā€œhey folks, Iā€™ll show you how it is to have someone you care about harming themselvesā€). Soon after I found some classmates who would smoke too, and of course the people that are one or two grades above you in schoolā€¦ finally I was allowed to smoke at home.
From there it just went on until I was 31 when I decided to ā€œturn things around completelyā€ i.e. go running, eat healthy, become disciplined about professional forthcoming or so.
The non-smoking part lasted for four years and I took some pleasure in allowing me a controlled fag every now and then, maybe a total of 30 cigarettes over those 4 years. This was exactly how I imagined a disciplined person to be :-), way better than just quitting forever, but to exercise control over the ā€œaddictionā€.
Went on a week-long holiday with old pals from school, bought a pack, another, went for a fag on the balcony, in the kitchenā€¦ finally there I was, smoking again at home in my kitchen like so many years before.
I wouldnā€™t even heve cared about the health related consequences, but during the years I had quit, I got a sense of how much everything actually stinks for cold smoke when youā€™re smoking at home, but I had no control over it, anymore.
So I went into quit-relapse-quit-relapse-cycles, but as vaping became more popular, I met more and more people that I knew who switched over. One of the most important ā€œfinal strawsā€ however was seeing a random guy walking to the supermarket in front of me, blowing clouds.
Started research and watched A LOT of youtube videos (which for some irrational reason I still do, although itā€™s literally the same content in every video ;)), got an Ammit and a Griffin 25, and some cheap liquids.
What kept me vaping was the idea that i picked up from a swiss youtube that, if you crave so hard, why not smoke a cig? One has smoked thousands on thousands, so, a fag every other day in the morning is a joke compared to that. I keep it that way, every other weekend or sometimes even at home when I just feel like it, I smoke a cigarette, but Iā€™ll never fall into the cycles of ā€œrelapseā€ again because of vaping. That, to me, is the most beneficial thing about it. I just donā€™t have to worry about ā€œnever ever again smoking a cig, even on a special occasionā€ or the whole relapse shit. If I feel like it, now itā€™s my choice to do it.
I get it that I havenā€™t got rid of ā€œthe habitā€ since I vape as much as I used to smoke. But it doesnā€™t smell bad or harm anyone, soā€¦ itā€™s still a somewhat pointless and stupid thing, but a lot better than constant smoking.
Cheers folks.

8 Likes

Welcome to ELR Forum!

4 Likes

I met the electronic cigarette (pre-historic) in 2008 and it was a simple model, without any attraction it seemed more like a toy and ended up forgetting.
But after 50 years struggling to quit smoking ā€¦
every day I worried more
I then remembered that experience of ten years ago and decided to research. What I found from information and testimonials made me happy.
To decide how to start, I first analyzed my addiction well:
I saw that my problem was not nicotine because I got used to an analog cigarette brand with a low nicotine content and smoked only half the cigarettes.
But as they were two packs a day he concludes that the act / custom of lighting and puffing quickly but constantly was the most important.

So I decided not to start with POD, but with a good tank RTL siren2, polar and liquid with 6mg of nicotine.

Well, I started less than 30 days ago ā€¦ so far zero analog cigarette! Every day more excited that I will get.
I already make my first Juice recipes with the help of this excellent site.

I must register how grateful I am for the help of everyone contributing to my testimony.
I apologize for my English (made in google).

12 Likes

After smoking for 45 years I finally made a serious attempt to quit. Patches, suckers and a hypnosis app brought a 2 1/2 pack a day habit down to 1-3 a day. One day I went to buy a pack, I was beginning to fear I was about to fall off the wagon. On a whim I bought a mark ten. At that time I was so craving the throat hit that I thought it was the best thing ever. That was the beginning of the end. I gave my half pack of cigs to my daughter and told her to hide them and give if I was desperate. I think I may have asked for about three. On October 27, 2018 I smoked my last cigarette. Iā€™d never gone more than 9 days without a cigarette in 45 years! And that was only because I was in a hospital bed and could not get outside.

The Mark Ten led to the Innokin T18 and T20S, a budding juice lab and a squonk/RDA that Iā€™ve not had the courage to attempt yet.

No more cough, despite COPD, my old skin looks a little better lol and I have a new hobby.

I wish more people could understand what an impact vaping can have and stop bashing it. It may not work for everyone but I think it can help many.

16 Likes

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Iā€™ll give you a brief story and hopefully some encouragement. After 48 yrs. of smoking my wife had SEVERE C.O.P.D., and after 8 months of Vaping (3 yrs. ago) the c.o.p.d. is completely cured! Hang in there.

11 Likes

Congratulations to you and your wife! And thank you for some wonderful encouragement!

Happy New Year!!

7 Likes

Great stuff @terrimac58

4 Likes

The Mark Ten led to the Innokin T18 and T20S, a budding juice lab and a squonk/RDA that Iā€™ve not had the courage to attempt yet.

As Ben would have said - ā€œYouā€™ve just taken your first step into a larger worldā€ :slight_smile: Congrats!

6 Likes

I quit 6 years ago in June after a 25+ year habit of two + packs a day of Marlboro Reds. In beginning I was hooked on vape I have a drawer full of old but working vape stuffā€¦which I give away to smokers who are trying to quit. To date Iā€™ve converted 5 people mostly family. Vape probably saved my life my lungs feel great no more coughing. I look 10 years younger going on 61 in July and I will vape till the day I die :slight_smile: Now thanks mostly to this site Iā€™m starting to mix my own juice ( we have 4 people here that vape about a 1000 ml a month) so mixing is going save us about 300$ a month :slight_smile: its all good.

9 Likes

Thank you!

Yup! That pile of flavor and paraphernalia keeps getting bigger lol.

Thanks!

I quite smoking cigarettes about a year ago, transitioning to commercial juices in tank-based vaporizers. Was a long road though. Iā€™ve been a smoker for about 23 years prior, between a half and full-pack a day. For a while I tried various off-the-shelf ecigs and vape pens. I then moved to SMOK and Vaporesso tank-based systems with commercial juices. Having considered myself a ā€œlightā€ volume smoker, I often got 3mg or 6mg nicotine strength juices but they never did it for me really and I was both smoking and vaping. I suspect a lot of convenience stores know this is probably common and they choose not to stock stronger juices so they can increase their sales of weak juices and continue cigarette purchases by their customers. Iā€™ve often had to order the stronger juices direct from the manufacturer (Halo being my #1 go-to, for their awesome SubZero extra-strength menthol). It really wasnā€™t until I tried the 12mg strength juices that I was finally able to drop cigarette smoking altogether. Over the course of a few months, I stepped my way down to 9mg (often by mixing a 6mg and 12mg bottle of the same flavor and shaking thoroughly) and then down to 6mg, where I am at now. Over the last year, Iā€™ve sourced my nicotine and flavorings and now mix my own juices and vape them almost exclusively. I enjoy that part as a hobby, and I feel 100x better than I ever have than when I was smoking cigarettes. I have zero desire or impulse to ever go back to cigarettes, and frankly I now find cigarette smoke heavy, stinky and bothersome. Never thought Iā€™d ever say that. Good luck to yā€™all who are still on your journeys, itā€™s worth the trip.

13 Likes

Congratulations @MooseFly! And welcome to the fold!

4 Likes

Do you have a good recipe for a menthol Cig type of taste!

Congrats to you!

2 Likes

I canā€™t speak highly enough for Ice Ice Baby! - http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/138151/Ice%20Ice%20Baby!

This recipe is just the bomb and in my regular ADV rotation. A very versatile recipe that you can accent it with a few % points of your favorite flavoring. If you want tobacco flavor in this menthol juice, Iā€™d start with adding 3% or so in a small batch and tweaking that flavoringā€™s strength until itā€™s right for your taste buds.

Getting away from the flavor of tobacco helped me kick off the regular cigarette now and then as I transitioned. When I felt I wanted a ā€œheavierā€ flavor than something fruity, I leaned on chocolate and coffee flavored vapes as I felt these were closest to tobacco without actually doing a tobacco flavored vape.

Iā€™ve been wanting to try my hand at the Halo Sub-Zero clone here - http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/74997/Halo%20Purity%20Sub%20Zero%20clone, because I love this Halo juice so much being an extreme-menthol very close to a menthol cigarette, but Iā€™m still going through a huge bottle of the real stuff and Ice Ice Baby has just been so good to me for my menthol fix.

Thanks and good luck on your journey!

5 Likes

Awesome! Thank you so much!

1 Like

I think you can quit again and here is why. You have been successful at quitting in 2 occasions already. You should be successful a third time.

Try to find the right set up and get back on that horse.

Welcome to ELR!

8 Likes

I started smoking at age 14, by the time a quit (quite recently) I was a 30 a day smoker.
I got a eGo one for christmas last year which I used along side my normal smoking habits. It wasnā€™t untill new years that I did what every smoker says every year(this is the year Iā€™m going to kick it)
However this time I meant it. So on the first of January I got rid of my last stinkie and while I was at it decided to give up booze as well.
Since then I have amassed quite a collection of juice, mods, tanks, and others goodies(go big or go home).
Now Iā€™m just waiting for my vape mail so I can dive into DIY.

13 Likes