I QUIT Smoking by VAPING. The DATE, My STORY

We are generally a friendly bunch. I think others class me as the high PG and odd flavour wizard here.

4 Likes

Holy crap you are a busy mixer, I am very impressed. Itā€™s a shame that you do not have many people reviewing your juices. I have just spent the last two years since getting locked-up-down-and-all-around making a website for the UK massive, that is a DDIY (Donā€™t Do It Yourself) eliquid site that is pretty unique and no one else is doing, as far as I am aware. Perhaps we could have a facechatzoomtime and talk about it as I am getting a bit fed up with typing today and the computer speech-to-text tries to piss me off every time. What do you say?

3 Likes

Oh I tend to be a niche blender as high PG and adult tastes tends to be my bag.

A Zoom chat is something Iā€™ll consider.

2 Likes

just remember to turn your cam of when you stand up, nobody wants to see what kind of underwear youā€™ve got onā€¦ (cod piece btw)

4 Likes

Oh, I only wear underwear when I fly or visit the doctor.

4 Likes

kramer2

5 Likes

You are easily amazed - I should have a shiny thing to hand to distract you.

5 Likes

Yes your recipes are very niche and unique. I was not even aware of many of those ingredients. I can Zoom sometime. Best for me in the evenings as I assume it will be for you too. I am pretty open so let me know when would be good for you. Friday is the last Friday of the month and is the villageā€™s once a month community pub so Iā€™ll be out then. Cheers.

3 Likes

Well send me a PM and my bald beardy self will be there.

2 Likes

Did you hear me? I tried to connect three times and saw youā€¦

1 Like

No. Letā€™s try again :laughing:

2 Likes

well 7pm is fine for me. Only busy at 1pm today.

1 Like

Xmas 2014 was the last time I had a smoke, prior to that smoked for 21 years, for the last decade or so of that was five packs a dayā€¦prior to that never less than two p/d. Also used snus for the last couple years of that, pretty much always had two pouches in my lip.

In September 2014 my friend gave me a hana modz 30W dna box & whatever 1.8Ī© coil atty that was popular at the time along with some 8mg juice. Odd number but the store he worked at refused to go by standard nic values.

Anyways almost immediatly I went from those five packs/day to only THREE cigarettesā€¦getting more & more disgusted with the smokes each time until I quit.

Aroind 2019 I began the practice of only vaping at home because I got sick of damaged equipment & whatever funk/bugs floating around in the air getting into my coils. Generally I forget about it unless Iā€™m home, that would was never possible with smokes.
Even when I was hospitalized with a DVT clot in my right knee & they had me on the patch telling me I would die if I smoked with that condition, the day I walked out, lit right up with the patches still on.

Once I went to strictly vaping it seemed like my sense of smell came back with a vengeance, the most faint scent was overpowering. One day I realized just how bad my senses were stifled by smokes when a neighbor in my building down the hall opened a can of dog food & I could smell it in my apartment. Overly sensitive to smells continues to be an understatement.

No more being winded going up a couple steps, no more chronic bronchitis/pnuemonia (36 ER visits for that in 2007 alone)ā€¦it took a bit for my immune system to get back in order but I havenā€™t had so much as the sniffles since about 2016. Food poisoning yes, but the respriatory ailments are gone.

The only negative side effect Iā€™ve had in regards to vaping was not knowing that I had somewhat of a PG allergy. I kept wondering why my throat hurt everytime I went into a vape shop for an extended amount of time, it was all the high PG blends.

One time I was given a 70%PG bottle & my throat just said ENOUGH. After some soreness getting worse & worse one morning I woke up to a POP! My right tonsil burst, just a mouthful of blood/pusā€¦but the upside was the pain stopped.

I went to the walk-in because I knew the hospital would try the surgery bit & I wasnā€™t having that, especially in my mid 30s. Doc confirmed the tonsil popped & put me on antibiotics. Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way!

How I came to the conclusion of PG was as soon as I switched to a 80%VG bottle I had, no irritation. So I keep that as my absolute baseline if I canā€™t get say 95-100%VG which has been my norm ever since. No tonsil issues with it at that level. Prior to ā€œno vaping in vape shopsā€ (you can still have all sorts of flavored booze tasting at liquor stores though) the soreness would reappear during any visits that werenā€™t brief confirming my suspicion.

Now my only roadblock is learning to make juice, I kept putting it off just due to a) the lack of a straightforward calculator & b) the snobbery I encountered on the reddit DIY. Iā€™ve made some in the past but not completely from scratch, more of buying unflavored liquid & adding inconsistent mixes of other 6mg juices.

Due to continued govā€™t douchery the only way I can pull off any amount of juice is getting the process down. Thankfully I bulk purchased like a maniac from 2015-2019 during sales (generally flash sales from a company that would do 100ml/$1 brought in the most) so I have enough to make it through the learning process.

Anything fun or good gets attacked/banned so stocking nic for the final vapeageddon when the knobs eventually outlaw it. Instead of ā€œbathtub ginā€ itā€™ll be bathtub bombies juicešŸ¤£

13 Likes

Brilliant mate and congratulations on your success so far.

I had similar PG issues and was always getting throat infections with 50/50 mixes. I now mainly do 70/30 with all my mixes. Recently tried a 65/35 mix but had to add more VG as it gurt my throat.

My sense of smell/taste seems to have been damaged beyond total repair from my years of smoking, but there is still a difference now compared to before I gave up cigs.

You are in the right place to expand your learning of mixing your own juice. There are amazingly helpful people here so just ask questions and someone will give you a hand. :+1:

8 Likes

Thanks, happy to have found this placešŸ‘

Honestly up until now I thought I was the only one with PG issues, do you find a sensitivity to it in any other products? It freaked me out to see that itā€™s in just about anything/everything you can think of but it must be extremely low content by comparisson.

Iā€™m unsure if itā€™s related but the dreaded ā€œvapers toungeā€ seemed to have disappeared despite lack of flavor carrier. Granted if Iā€™m puffing away for thirty minutes every pull wonā€™t be equally as ripe but drinking a glass of water clears it up surprisingly fast.

8 Likes

Congrats on your journey so far and welcome to the forum.

8 Likes

I donā€™t usually notice the PG in other products, must be a difference in aerosol vs eating/drinking the stuff.

But I do have a high sensitivty to artificial sweeteners which I taste in anything ā€œdietā€ related, and sweet vape juices of course. I get a horrible taste and a headache from it, even 1 can of Diet Coke will give me a headache for around 4 hours.

5 Likes

@Straightwhiskey81, as @Ianc13 said, brilliant.

5 Likes

Anything diet or aspertame type stuff gets me as well, gives me an overall ill feeling.
Pretty much the classic ā€œoh man, I wish I hadnā€™t done that!ā€

6 Likes

My Story A.K.A. ā€œA Trip Down Memory Laneā€ā€¦ā€¦ Iā€™ve been asked when I started vaping and I always say April of 2021, which is true, um, sort of.I use that date because thatā€™s the date that I remember, the one where I finally quit smoking. But the truth is, my vaping journey began long before thenā€¦back in 2014. Back when BCF was BCV, Flavor Jungle was still ecigexpress (and they actually sold more than just flavors), and there used to be another place I bought flavors from called Mama Jā€™s, they were great because they sold 3ml and 5ml (which was great for ppl like me that had no clue what to do with those flavors once I bought them!). There was also a place called Gunners Gold Gourmet, that I used to buy ā€œone shotsā€ from, anyone remember them ?:thinking: Quick internet search andā€¦ā€¦I can do this! So, throughout 2014-2016 I would periodically buy flavors, PG, VG, NIC, scale, syringes, etc. I would buy stuff, mix something, vape it (usually on an eleaf something or other), and then head to the reservation and buy a carton of smokes. (I even tried ā€œeliquid pasteā€ at one point). Between 2017-2020 I donā€™t think I even gave vaping a second thought, I was happy with my cigarettes. Then I read something online about a ban on vaping, and I thought to myself ā€œwhat if I decide I want to try vaping again in the futureā€¦will it still be there?ā€ So, I immediately went online and started ordering random vape stuff. I didnā€™t really think Iā€™d use any of it, but I wanted to have it, just in case! Now, even back in 2014 I had the basic knowledge of how to mix, but what I was lacking was insight! I never realized there were sights with recipes! And people that might help! While ordering a Smok Nfix (the device that helped me quit) I saw a link for a site called ELR :flushed: and then I found ATF too. I joined both sites, but just kind of hung out in the background for awhile until I finally felt comfortable enough to join a conversation. Iā€™ve learned a lot from reading through old posts. Maybe if I wouldā€™ve found this site back in 2014 things wouldā€™ve went differently, maybe not. I still kinda feel like Iā€™m on the outside looking in sometimes, but I would like to give a shout-out to @Rocky02852 your recipes played a pivotal role in helping me quit smoking, @DayTimeFrank your #SSMS makes me feel welcome and both challenges me and gives me direction every week, and last but certainly not least @fidalgo_vapes for helping me find Frankā€™s show and for helping me navigate these rough waters

18 Likes