I'm going to stop using PG and replace it with water

Translation:

Don’t we all hey? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I don’t know.

Throat hit? Shelf life? Costs them less than water in the quantities they buy or its faster and cheaper to manufacturer PG? Always been done that way?

These are corporations you’re talking about here: their motivation is maximum profit and their reasoning for doing things is almost always convoluted and opaque.

So money is why ultimately, but knowing why they use one ingredient over another is something we can only assume to know.

1 Like

As I said
Don’t be a dick. By modifying my quote it appears you’re also an immature one at that! Your membership here is only a few weeks old. Not good starting off on the wrong foot pal

9 Likes

Right, you don’t know which is what TZ was attempting to get across to you. Everyone here believes that people should do it their way. Experimentation can be very valuable when shared but for the less experienced can lead to a lot of frustration and confusion. That can lead people back to smoking.

Instead of attacking people personally and making revelations about how you have discovered that PG can be eliminated and replaced with DW, maybe you can do a little research and testing? Perhaps you could ask if others have attempted this. Every experienced mixer here knows you can add a little DW or saline (DW) or alcohol which is water soluble. @Letitia gave you a hint:

I can tell you the reason for this, backed by science, but before I do lets back up.

You begin with attacking and disparaging A.B. DADA who is not here to defend himself. He likely wouldn’t anyway. However, I am very familiar with what he attempted to bring to the mixing communities. His usage of homogenizing equipment and overall knowledge of mixing and dispersal technology predates mine. I haven’t heard his name for years but know that he was highly knowledgeable and respected. Dada was also one, along with professional chemists/flavorists, that sought to find a way to not use PG. Dada claimed he was allergic. Maybe.

To understand why PG is almost universally used is for its properties as a solvent. While it does reduce viscosity, thickness has very little to do with how chemicals will dissolve and bond to each other. Many won’t without additives.

The flavor concentrates we use are composed of 3 basic things: flavorants or flavor materials, solvents, and water. Flavor materials are generally not water soluble so are dissolved in solvents and water thereby making them a stable solution.

So what Letitia said was correct, by adding water it is diluting the concentrate which also takes extra time to mix and bond with the final mix. The chemists know the correct proportions. So yes a little DW will thin the VG but It does not do what you have asserted. Maybe someone will find a suitable replacement for PG, but it will not be DW.

Flavor materials must be made water soluble by dissolving them which is what solvents do.

10 Likes

It was no revelation: just a statement of what I plan to try, and totally out of frame I get this response…

Simultaneously as wrong as it was a condescending attack, I simply highlighted how wrong it was with equal snark.

You can step back and do the “Oh he didn’t mean it about THIS post specifically…” but THIS is the specific post he’s attacking and saying he was talking generally about my posting ideas I haven’t even posted is a pretty lame response to what began as an attack on someone’s intelligence that made him look half as intelligent as a result.

Telling anybody they’re an idiot for something they possibly/maybe/might do or say at some point in the future - that’s hardly the expression of a superior mind.

Now you’re scrambling to turn it into a scientific debate, like science can defend bad manners and rudeness, which is where this started.

The disagreement is about manners not the science of the idea in the first post.

As an aside: how many people who use the forums are scientists, and do you think only scientists should be allowed to post an idea while the rest of us all watch gasping in awe?

What do you suppose the active userbase would look like if we all had to be scientists in order to post?

We don’t even require science to know the answer to that.

3 Likes

Might to read:

6 Likes

Yes I remember the thread. Alcohol is a solvent used in lots of concentrates because that’s what works best in some. 100 proof is half water. Both will thin VG. Water is a dilutant. Alc is a solvent.

4 Likes

Looks like a cool way of doing it… still reading.

3 Likes

Since my name came up let me clarify. My base ratio is 96vg, 4pg, 8dw. So no I don’t replace pg with dw, dw simply helps me vape vg heavy juices more easily.

10 Likes

Again, when I see something like this…

then you should have some accountability where users, especially new ones reading the thread are concerned. Your thread topic and the ‘science of an idea’ takes a backseat to this as far as I’m concerned. Getting butt hurt because my comment wasn’t dipped in candy coating is on you. Don’t try to turn it back on me!

6 Likes

well, i guess this answers my pending question of have water in juice. i tend to clean my bottles just before filling them, and i leave minuscule amounts of water in them.

6 Likes

TZ has been around enough to know how nonsense is spread. People go to a website and then parrot junk elsewhere while they sling shit at anyone that suggests they do a little research or what they are saying may be incorrect.

But to be clear I responded hoping to help others keep from wasting time and money or getting frustrated with DIY like so many do. Pg and/or other solvents are in the concentrates for specific purposes and IMO it would help to have a layman’s understanding of how they function. But people are free to do as they like and experiment as they want. Spreading admittedly unknown and baseless information and being antagonistic, arrogant, and insulting don’t fall into that category. I knew I’d have a better chance of making sense if I went out back and tried to reason with a tree stump than with this guy. He did a fine job of showing that. Talk shit and then personally attack anyone who voices a different opinion.

5 Likes

And just when I was trying to a kinder, gentler ‘love myself so I can love others’ kind of guy. Well that’s BS! :sunglasses:

9 Likes

True, Water would certainly be much cheaper to use but
Density, viscosity, surface tension, and molar volume of propylene glycol is Why it’s used, Glycols are more viscous than water alone. Solution viscosity increases with an increase in glycol concentration or a decrease in temperature.
This thread reminded me off something an old timer told me when I was a lad,
“Water is the best lubricant on the planet, problem is water has no (little) viscosity, so don’t think you can replace the oil in your vehicles crankcase with water to save money, it just won’t work”

7 Likes

Ok, no argument about those properties and not to be all arrogantly “sciencey” n shit, I’m curious about your thoughts on the complete sentence as applied to its use as a solvent:

What is used to dissolve the flavorants into suspended solution. Will water dissolve them?

Maybe I should have said reduce the viscosity of VG.

5 Likes

As a Solvent, off the cuff I’d say probably pretty close in property to water, as a carrier I’d say most likely better than water.

As we all know it takes time (steeping) for the flavor molecules to meld (solve, dissolve…) with the carrier. I’m pretty sure that somebody way before me already figured out that PG works better than Water,
But would be curious to find out if someone would do a side by side test using the Game Changer :thinking: as water and pg have nearly the same SG, maybe another breakthough in mixing :man_shrugging:
(But I’m not gonna try it) :ok_hand:

6 Likes

Correction (you got my old mind working Dan)
I would say Water is the better solvent, as we know lower viscosity makes a better solvent (ie: alcohol)
water has low surface tension and low viscosity = better solvent

6 Likes

But if, generally speaking, the molecular structure (covalent bond) of the flavor materials can not be altered (bonded) to water by itself, then any such test by any means is not possible.

To be clear, I did not invent the high shear mixing process which is used across the spectrum of processing industries. I simply adapted a 70+ year old concept and optimized it into an affordable and function specific device for e juice mixing.

Like many others before me, I regard the term “steeping” as nothing more than a very bad term that stuck.

Edit: I was typing before you answered. I want to leave this hang for debate but will answer fully because I have wanted to get to this for a very long time. The answer does lie in the term emulsification and the difference between it and homogenization.

To emulsify means two substances like oil and water that ordinary will not mix or that can not be mixed without emulsifying additives.

6 Likes

That’s what I was thinking, I believe PG is a better carrier that the flavors can bond to and in turn help bond the flavors to the higher viscosity VG.

True, and I’d think that any larger manufacturers of vape juice probably use high shear mixing? IDK ?

I just threw that out there in case anybody wanted to float their boat,
I’m happy using PG :ok_hand:

5 Likes

These two statements seem to contradict each other, I’m thinking back to the introduction of Latex paint vs oil based :thinking:
Edit, I read that wrong :rofl: good point :ok_hand:

4 Likes