Weird story, not related to the THC crisis, but interesting.
I urge everyone to read that full article as it gives better info and lots of more on point since recent articles.
I read the story still hasn’t changed my mind ill never stop its a hobby of mine and i love it
Looks like the BBC has been “bought” into assisting the agenda now as well. /sigh
If they can’t get one simple fact right; the truth that it was CONTAMINATED, ILLICIT THC CARTRIDGES at fault in “most of these cases”, it seriously makes me question the accuracy of the rest of the “information” presented.
Whatever the cause for this teen’s issues, the whole story is not being presented IMO.
I saw an interview with the American guy who ended up in hospital and told the media it was due to vaping.
He had told them that he got sick vaping THC but they cut the THC part out. He never smoked or vaped any nicotine products.
They totally twisted his words around.
You have to be careful what you spread around, everything can be changed to suit an agenda.
The boy was 16, would he have told if he had been vaping THC and did they test him for it?
It’s sad really. That picture is worth way more than any words. A poor innocent child with all these tubes taped to his face while his innocence is evident in his face. YIKES.
I’ve been saying it and it sucks to be right but England isn’t as pro vaping as everyone seems to think and now this “innocent” boy from the UK almost died, just like in the US so obviously it’s dangerous. It’s another battle lost and an important one at that.
Even though in the article they tell us 220 people A DAY die because of smoking. That number is HUGE but vaping is way more dangerous. Where are the pics of 220 people A DAY?
I remember back a few years when Amnesty International put 200 body bags on a beach to raise awareness on the plight of migrants in the Mediterranean Sea.
Here is what that looks like. Multiply that x 6.5 for the U.S.A for smoking related deaths PER DAY
Like I said, weird story. The BBC’s not the same it was 10 years ago. They’ve been dropping the ball more and more over the last years so I don’t know what to make of it. I just thought it was interesting to see that even “trusted sources” like the BBC get caught up in the fear mongering.
And even if there’s this 1 person in millions of vapers over more than a decade that dies from vaping, there’s just no comparison to smoking for all the millions of people that have successfully quit thanks to vaping, and improved their health on a measurable scale.
I find the article of a decent standard. It is true that vaping appears generally safe, but we still use lots of compounds in flavouring that have unresearched effects for the use we do. Hell, even straight Pg/VG is a discussable thing.
This lad reacted to one of the compounds, in a way that is not unlike an allergic reaction. If you pay attention, only one of the liquids he used triggered this reaction.
He made it through, it is related to consuming vaping liquid, it should not be dismissed because it goes against our desires.
Thanks for the link @anon28032772.
We all know 95% safer is not “safe”, particularly to young people whose bodies are still developing…
The UK is in a right mess in several ways at the moment, but they do have a clear separation of powers that is doing its best to keep the country straight in all the chaos. The medical body in the UK is still very pro vaping and so is the law. The BBC has been accused of many things and does not represent the views of the country and its citizens, at least not all of the time.
1 thing I’m very convinced of though, if there’s 1 country in the world that is as pro vaping as you can be in this world, it is the UK. Where else in the world can you get vaping gear in national public hospitals?
I did pay attention and noticed the ingredients of that liquid are not mentioned at all.
That should be the most important info in that piece IMO.
If people know what it is, they can avoid it. Instead they keep talking about vaping in general,
yes, I was very curious about that too and found it suspect.
That does give me hope. I have noticed that the UK goes first and it takes us (U.S.) forever to follow and usually to our own detriment. Hopefully, they stay the course so that the rest of the world has an example.
True (kinda), but they don’t say a word about which liquid it was. Was it nicotine or was it THC or was it something else. It would be nice to know.
they do say it was store bought liquid, so either nic or cbd in uk.
You don’t think it was illicit? Either way I am very curious to know what it was. Why not tell us, thats the part I don’t get?
And if this guy bought it, at least dozens or hundreds of others will have bought the same liquids. It seems to be a freak occurrence.
The timing that they choose to publish this article is raising questions though.
Ewan started vaping in early 2017. He was 16 at the time and wanted to quit smoking to improve his boxing.
In May that year, Ewan was finding it harder and harder to breathe.
Even IF they thought they needed time for proper investigation, you’d expect a little more details about the what and why.
As stated, I don’t find this article alarming at all. The overall direction of the article seems to point toward a reaction to something in one of the liquids. I don’t think this is anything unanticipated. If anything, I find it positive that this possibility is known. How many medications state reactions to look for? One size just does not fit all humans.
The guy had an allergic/autoimmune reaction to one of the two tested juices. They probably don’t know which compound is causing it yet.
As @SmilingOgre says, it looks like a rare case rather than a standard reaction. Could also be a manufacturer not being serious in what they have in their stuff. I don’t understand why non essential compounds are allowed in juice, like colourings.
My guess is that it’s not regulated.
When that is the case, usually you suddenly see a few cases pop up locally where the product has entered the market, just like the case was with those THC pods. This looks more like a freak accident, someone with a rare condition, allergy or sensitivity. It’s the first time I hear about such a case with millions of vapers around.