Juice disolving Cotton?

This might sound nuts but see what you think. Firstly I must say that I’m allergic to Cotton always taste it (like light minty feel in my mouth), tried various Cottons, boiled/unboiled - all the same.
I’ve noticed that when I vape on cotton for a while in a tank, it tastes weird. I replace the (rebuildable) Cotton coil for Silica one, leaving the juice in the tank. Taste is better but I can still taste the Cotton. I drain and wash the tank, refill with fresh juice and than all is good, no Cotton taste.
This brings me to a question if juice could possibly be dissolving the Cotton (or something in it) because even after I’ve swapped the coils I could still taste it as if it was contaminated. It’s not something I’ve just noticed, I’ve been testing this for past couple of months with always the same results.
Maybe it sounds crazy, maybe someone else have noticed something weird with Cotton as well, let me know.

What kind of juice are you vaping?

1 Like

It’s same with all juices, even unflavored.

1 Like

What kind of cotton are you using ?
If your using just plain organic cotton. Then get you some Japanese cotton, or cotton baken v2. Or some texas sub cotton.
I say this because i had this problem at first when i started with normal organic cotton

2 Likes

I see you alergic to cotton. There is another kind of wick that i seen yesterday in a review that got put up. Let me see if i can find it for you

1 Like
1 Like

If you are truly allergic to cotton then maybe you should be using Rayon or Hemp. Hemp is said to have a bit of a earthy taste but Rayon is supposed to be tasteless. Couple of options possibly for you…

2 Likes

Do you think it’s possible some of this could be psychosomatic? Please don’t take offense to the question because I’m wondering only due to what you’re saying about the taste improving when replacing the wick/ juice. I taste cotton only when using fresh wicks. And that flavor can be rather unpleasant but is short lived. Once broken in that tast disappears entirely. Then again I’m not allergic

1 Like

Click on that link. Hemp versus cotton. In that review is a wick that isn’t cotton. And he says it falls in second in his test

2 Likes

The tanks we work with use vacuum and gravity to work, so when you vape it, liquid is pulled to the coil, creating a vacuum in the tank. This vacuum then pulls air and a small amount of liquid back into the tank. So if your coil tastes funky, the funky taste is transferred back into the tank. This effect is easy to see if you don’t change your wick for a long time - it the liquid left in the tank when you refill will turn noticeably darker every time!

2 Likes

I can safely say it’s not in my head, not psychosomatic or anything but it’s real with the Cotton. But I’ve finally found a solution. Bought some Fiberfreaks which is made of wood. Suddenly no allergies, no bad taste, no nothing but a clean vape. I can’t believe it my self but it was the Cotton making me sick. Thanks for all your advice tho. I’m just glad I’m free to vape like I want now, I can say goodbye to 4 years of silica.

3 Likes

Then you should be able to use rayon, that is also cellulose-based :smile:

1 Like

Possibly an alternative too, but I’ll stick with this. It works better than I ever imagined, flavor is great, I vape like a king now. I can’t ask for more. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m just seeing this now, but I wonder if you wouldn’t mind demonstrating a build with this wick material? I recently put one up on hemp. . .I’ve never really cared for cotton and am quite taken with hemp these days. Still, I am open to trying other things. I even just bought a bag of cotton bacon v2…think I’ll use it in my next build.

I have used everything but hemp, and I’m willing to at least try, but I have neverseen any of my cotton dissolve with any of my juice or anyone else’s juice. Strange.

i have used the fiber freaks…i must say, its nice, but also must warn:
it comes in 2 different densities and the less dense of the two allows for a little bit of seepage…which leads to potential leakage through your air flow holes…i havent quite mastered it yet, so i use it primarily in my Aromamizer where there is no possibilty of leaking, due to the design of the lower half of the Aromamizer…
just a heads up
fabulous product though!

1 Like

I am scared to death of flooding my Aromamizer. You dont think it can?

When you pull your wicks to replace, does the cotton stay in a continuous bunch? Ive never had any that did, always comes out as bits. Hemp will be a full single piece.

You said you’re using hemp in your aromamizer, right? I am about to rewick and was gonna go with the hemp.

1 Like

Yes, but if you look at the wicking tutorial thread i went vertical coil. Its been working very well after a couple day soak, but i think if you go horizontal the wicks will be too long and have to bend too sharply. This happens in the Advken Ohm Ega, which I just traded off.

Make sure you pull the coils well beck from the posts, there is plenty of room, to facilitate air circulation. Like i said though, it isnt great until they are soaked. I was disappointed at first.

1 Like