Jungle Flavors / Flavor Jungle One Shot Tests by SessionDrummer

Yes. I KNOW you asked me about this a while back, and I still didn’t get to it.

I know I mixed it up in 2022, but for some reason never got around to doing the FULL review @muth. I don’t recall getting a bitter note.

3 Likes

Maybe because it’s been steeping since 2022? :rofl:

5 Likes

All of the One-Shots were tested at the listed percentages, in the SteamCrave RDTA v.1, running dual Kanthal 24ga. vertical coils, with dry burned coils and fresh cotton before every test. All steeped for 2 weeks (at this point) before testing, and were tested in a 70v/30p/3mg carrier.

Birthday Cake (One Shot) (Flavor Jungle) 10% (10-14-23) – If you missed my review of the Ultimate Birthday Cake solo flavor this One-Shot was very similar to it, and was slightly improved. I still didn’t get an overwhelming sense of cake. Just like the Ultimate flavor, it was cake-y, and cake-ish, BUT never fully a cake. The hint of AP (Los Fritos) that I got from the Ultimate seems to have left the party with this one, and this one seemed to be a tad richer, and fuller. Sweetness was just above mid-level, and there were no overt off-notes, except a minor almost dry-ness on the finish. Still not a “Yeah, this is a birthday cake” though. I’m rating it slightly higher than the Ultimate, BUT, as was the case WITH the Ultimate BDC, this is probably a better cake MIXER, than a cake flavor/one-shot. Leaving it at a 6.95.10

Blackberry Lemonade (One Shot) (Flavor Jungle) 14% (10-15-23) – This one was a little “Zinger” right out of the gate. I don’t know what I expected from a Lemonade One-Shot, but this one was surprisingly good. Both the Lemon and Blackberry weren’t the strongest, but still very present. The was a “zing”, which presented almost like an effervescence, or fizzy-ness JUST below the surface, and never quit that kept it interesting. A few ticks above mid-level sweet, and no off-notes or florals could be found. At times it almost seemed like more of a candied lemon than a lemonade, washed over by a great, albeit somewhat relaxed Blackberry syrup. Almost convincingly real with just a bit too much of the candied aspect, but that would be about the only nit-pick on this one. Great tasting, almost fizzy, and surprisingly addictive. With the slightly relaxed Blackberry, and sometimes candied Lemon being the only real drawbacks, leaving this one high @ a 9.1/10.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (One Shot) (Flavor Jungle) 12% (10-15-23) – EVERY time I test a cookie, I am reminded of my current Top Shelf Cookie …

DIYFS Cookie

Now, this one may not have been that good, but it was close. VERY close. Long story short, it DID taste almost 100% like CCCD. The dough notes came and went, but were present more often than not. The dough wasn’t greasy, but seemed to really capture the uncooked, well, cookie dough. No darker, baked, or burnt notes, which added to the uncooked profile. The chocolate chips were done excellently, and fit perfectly into a chocolate chip profile, without any dark, or bitter notes. The cookie profile itself was hard to completely nail down, but the cookie had some nice grainy-ness to it, along with some bakery notes, brown sugar, and maybe a touch of almond. Sweetness was a few ticks above mid-level, and it was very full at the suggested rate of 12%. Surprisingly I was unable to pick out anything out of place, or lacking, which WAS a surprise. It was generic enough to avoid being labeled as a specific brand, but it tasted close to a Toll House if any. About my only nit-pick would be the raw dough notes sometimes being a little relaxed, but that’s it. This one was an accurate CCCD. Easily a 9.5/10.

Razzlebear (One Shot) (Flavor Jungle) 15% (10-18-23) – I had to spend some extra time with this one, as I just wasn’t sure about it. From the MFG …

Enjoy the luxurious taste of fresh raspberries, silky smooth white chocolate, with a hint of cooling mint

Now let me get this disclaimer out of the way, when I review “mashups” it is even MORE important for the readers to try for themselves, even more important than single flavor reviews, as sometimes a shot/mix/mashup just isn’t working for me, but might for them. This one didn’t really take off for me. Indeed there was white chocolate, raspberry, and cooling mint in there, BUT, it just didn’t really work. All 3 main players were just ehhh, and combined, well, just not sure. The white chocolate was tasty, and cream, and possibly the star of the show. The RB was fairly low in the mix, and low enough, that it was hard to fully appreciate. The mint and cooling (you guys KNOW, I hate the cooling), just felt out of place. Yes, it was an interesting IDEA. I felt that maybe just TWO out of the three profiles might have been better, like just the RB and cooling/mint, or the RB and the white chocolate, but all three seemed to conflict more than anything else. At 15% it was full enough, with just below mid-level sweet, and no “off-notes” per se, but just all 3 profiles combined just never fully worked for my tastes. Taste IS subjective, but for my tastes, I settled on a 4.0/10.

Strawberry Crusher (One Shot) (Flavor Jungle) 7% (10-20-23) – After letting this one settle, again I was not sure about whether it worked, or not. From the MFG…

Strawberry Crusher: Where Sweet Peaches, Cherries, and Creamy Dreams Unite in Flavor Fun! :strawberry::peach::cherries::cake::candy::tropical_drink::herb:

Sounded good, and testing it did reveal some Strawberry, some White Peach, and just maybe some Cherry undertones, but they were very weak. There was indeed a creamy carrier that the fruit rode on, but it was more of a non eggy, generic vanilla base. Sometimes fruit DO pair well, and accent each other, and other times not. During most of the test, it presented as a fruit mashup over a creamy vanilla base. Not great, not terrible, but just ehh. It was full @ 7%, and no off-notes except for a slight “twang” on the finish. Again, not terrible, but just not stellar. All in it was a fruit mashup, with overtones of SB, hints of peach, riding over a creamy vanilla. Finally decided on a 6.5/10 for this one.

Sweet Strawberry Cream (One Shot) (Flavor Jungle) 15% (10-20-23) – Oh no, ANOTHER Strawberry Cream ?? Hehe, yes. This One-Shot is (I believe) the most popular shot in FJ’s lineup. Granted many of the high reviews may be from non-DIY’ers, but it was still worth a look, to see what was what with their Top Seller. Out of the gate, I got a very familiar Jammy Strawberry with some deliciously thick Butter undertones, which immediately reminded me of One On One’s SB Jam. Maybe some INW Shisha SB tossed in for a brightener, and a surprisingly decent milky cream. The cream was the most interesting part here, as it wasn’t a thick, rich cream, but seemed to straddle a milk, and cream. The very present (and delicious) buttery undertones from the SB worked veyr well to CONCEAL some of the creamy-ness, keeping it shrouded at bit, mostly to perfectly identify it, but it was the carrier that the SB’s rode on top ot. At 15% it was very full, and just about mid-level sweet, with no off-notes. The best two parts for me, were the Jammy-ness of the SB’s, and the milky, creamy carrier. As a whole it DID work, and it did it well. Sure, sure, you probably have at least a half a dozen recipes for SB Cream already, but maybe you want a “quick fix”, or some inspiration on making one. Even though the SB Cream profile has been pretty well flushed out already, this one was a good one, and not a bad one to pick up. Jammy, punchy, with a really good, milky cream undertone. Leaving this one high at a 9.1/10.

Tiger’s Blood Reloaded (One Shot) (Flavor Jungle) 8% (10-20-23) – Breaking into the LAST One-Shot in this series, with the “Reloaded” version of FJ’s Tiger’s Blood. I had tested the OG version, and while I wasn’t 100% sure on the Cherry, Kiwi, and Mellon profiles, I scored it fairly high to it’s different approach to a TB. This one, was much more to my liking, and it presented as FAR more “Red” than the OG. Tastes vary WILDY in what makes the BEST TB, so use your own tastes above all else. This one just plain worked for me, having the juicy red watermelon up front, with a ripe red strawberry falling right behind it, with lighter notes of Pineapple and Coconut lower down in the mix. To my tastes, the ratios were almost spot on to make the “right” TB. Having the SB just behind the Watermelon, it allowed it to enhance the WM without fighting it. The lighter PA and Coconut worked to round out the mix without overshadowing the two predominant players. Sweetness was ust above mid-level, and there was JUST enough tart from the SB (and maybe the Pineapple) to jazz up any smoothness from the WM. All in, a great “re-do”, errrr “Reloaded” version of their Tiger’s Blood. Because I prefer a much juicier “red” TB, going to leave this one pretty high, at a 9.8/10.

8 Likes

Birthday Cake (One Shot) (Flavor Jungle) 10% (10-14-23) – If you missed my review of the Ultimate Birthday Cake solo flavor this One-Shot was very similar to it, and was slightly improved. I still didn’t get an overwhelming sense of cake. Just like the Ultimate flavor, it was cake-y, and cake-ish, BUT never fully a cake. The hint of AP (Los Fritos) that I got from the Ultimate seems to have left the party with this one, and this one seemed to be a tad richer, and fuller. Sweetness was just above mid-level, and there were no overt off-notes, except a minor almost dry-ness on the finish. Still not a “Yeah, this is a birthday cake” though. I’m rating it slightly higher than the Ultimate, BUT, as was the case WITH the Ultimate BDC, this is probably a better cake MIXER, than a cake flavor/one-shot. Leaving it at a 6.95.10

8 Likes

Blackberry Lemonade (One Shot) (Flavor Jungle) 14% (10-15-23) – This one was a little “Zinger” right out of the gate. I don’t know what I expected from a Lemonade One-Shot, but this one was surprisingly good. Both the Lemon and Blackberry weren’t the strongest, but still very present. The was a “zing”, which presented almost like an effervescence, or fizzy-ness JUST below the surface, and never quit that kept it interesting. A few ticks above mid-level sweet, and no off-notes or florals could be found. At times it almost seemed like more of a candied lemon than a lemonade, washed over by a great, albeit somewhat relaxed Blackberry syrup. Almost convincingly real with just a bit too much of the candied aspect, but that would be about the only nit-pick on this one. Great tasting, almost fizzy, and surprisingly addictive. With the slightly relaxed Blackberry, and sometimes candied Lemon being the only real drawbacks, leaving this one high @ a 9.1/10.

7 Likes

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (One Shot) (Flavor Jungle) 12% (10-15-23) – EVERY time I test a cookie, I am reminded of my current Top Shelf Cookie …

DIYFS Cookie

Now, this one may not have been that good, but it was close. VERY close. Long story short, it DID taste almost 100% like CCCD. The dough notes came and went, but were present more often than not. The dough wasn’t greasy, but seemed to really capture the uncooked, well, cookie dough. No darker, baked, or burnt notes, which added to the uncooked profile. The chocolate chips were done excellently, and fit perfectly into a chocolate chip profile, without any dark, or bitter notes. The cookie profile itself was hard to completely nail down, but the cookie had some nice grainy-ness to it, along with some bakery notes, brown sugar, and maybe a touch of almond. Sweetness was a few ticks above mid-level, and it was very full at the suggested rate of 12%. Surprisingly I was unable to pick out anything out of place, or lacking, which WAS a surprise. It was generic enough to avoid being labeled as a specific brand, but it tasted close to a Toll House if any. About my only nit-pick would be the raw dough notes sometimes being a little relaxed, but that’s it. This one was an accurate CCCD. Easily a 9.5/10.

13 Likes

I really liked Folkart’s CCCD though I felt it needed a touch more brown sugar so I added 1% ultimate brown sugar and it was perfect.

8 Likes

My fave Brown Sugar

6 Likes

@fidalgo_vapes Mine too! I think I’m going to start bathing in it! :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Theres some who think the Ultimate line is sub par, but personally i think they are good flavors overall

6 Likes

As we all know, taste is subjective, I own almost all the Ultimate line and I personally love them and have had nothing but positive feedback from those for whom I mix.

4 Likes

My experience has been that the previous “Ultimates” were pretty spot on. These, the latest released, some WERE indeed spot on, but a few were not. @fidalgo_vapes I would be VERY curious to hear your thoughts on the Ultimate Blueberry.

3 Likes

I need to mix it …Not sure why i havent lol , will.do tonight

3 Likes

I have to qualify my statement, I do not have the Blueberry, vanilla custard or, passionfruit in the ultimate line so, I probably should have said, of the ones I own I love. lol :slightly_smiling_face: :nerd_face:

3 Likes

@McDuckie, I don’t think I’ve ever tried his. Sounds like I should ADD it to the queue.

@fidalgo_vapes do you have, and have you already tried the Ultimate Grape yet ?

1 Like

Yes i have all of the Ultimates and I have tried it…Bubble Gum , Flat Grape Soda, a good Artificial purple color type grape flavor…Ill have to make sure since im not home lol

1 Like

Razzlebear (One Shot) (Flavor Jungle) 15% (10-18-23) – I had to spend some extra time with this one, as I just wasn’t sure about it. From the MFG …

Enjoy the luxurious taste of fresh raspberries, silky smooth white chocolate, with a hint of cooling mint

Now let me get this disclaimer out of the way, when I review “mashups” it is even MORE important for the readers to try for themselves, even more important than single flavor reviews, as sometimes a shot/mix/mashup just isn’t working for me, but might for them. This one didn’t really take off for me. Indeed there was white chocolate, raspberry, and cooling mint in there, BUT, it just didn’t really work. All 3 main players were just ehhh, and combined, well, just not sure. The white chocolate was tasty, and cream, and possibly the star of the show. The RB was fairly low in the mix, and low enough, that it was hard to fully appreciate. The mint and cooling (you guys KNOW, I hate the cooling), just felt out of place. Yes, it was an interesting IDEA. I felt that maybe just TWO out of the three profiles might have been better, like just the RB and cooling/mint, or the RB and the white chocolate, but all three seemed to conflict more than anything else. At 15% it was full enough, with just below mid-level sweet, and no “off-notes” per se, but just all 3 profiles combined just never fully worked for my tastes. Taste IS subjective, but for my tastes, I settled on a 4.0/10.

11 Likes

Something that turns me off on some of these FJ one shots, like this one, is their use of cartoonish characters on the labels and web pages. I know DIY among youth is nonexistent, but it’s still a bad look in an industry that has to constantly fight the accusations that it is marketing to youth.

4 Likes

I agree with you on that, we have all lost enough with the dumbass marketing. And that dern Birthday Cake is looking at me like it wants to sex me up or something, creepy. I havent been on their site for a very long time, since they had the old name. On the flip side i like most of the tobacco bottle artwork.

People never learn tho. I live in Michigan which mostly legalized weed and the absolutely stupidity with some of these brands is baffling. They all saw what happened with vaping yet they are doing the same thing. Cartoons, stolen IP, idiotic strain names…

Today i saw some company selling live Rosin in the shape of cartoon animals, the actually rosin was shaped like teddy bears, stegosaurus, cuties dolphins, baby sharks, etc… Another company selling THC cartriges with Goku, Vegeta, Fred and Barney, Luigi and the Pink Mushroom critter. I love Dragon Ball, im in my 50’s, but i wouldnt buy one if they were a penny.

The absolute stupidity of it, we are so bad at learning from our mistakes.

EDIT: Not trying to bash on FJ but please tell the cake to stop smiling at me like that. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes