Kanger New updated SSOCC Coil Compatibility?

You seem like the Kanger expert. Can I please ask you some questions? I have a Kanger Nano, and I love the airflow and draw on it. I am using the round clapton coils. The flavor seems ok, but not near as good as like my Crown did before it broke, and they seem to lose flavor pretty quickly, maybe a week before I have to replace it. :frowning:

Have you tried many of the coils, and if so which did you like best for flavor? Sounds like you build your own coils, but worth asking. It seems to me SS coils offer a better flavor generally. Or have you tried the Atom or Coil Art coils for it?

Any advice is appreciated.

Sorry but I can not answer your question as far as which coil to choose, however I can clear something up for you that might be helpful. A lot of people assume the SSOCC coil uses stainless steel wire. Though they may make one (Donā€™t Know) the SS in the name SSOCC means the coil casing is made of Stainless Steel. As far as I know the Clapton Coils are kanthal, believe that is correct. Personally of the coils I have tried I prefer the old OCC square coils. Hope this helps a littleā€¦

1 Like

Yes, the Claptons are kanthal. I donā€™t think they make a SS wire coil??? But I have found the flavor so good on the Crown, I donā€™t think itā€™s just the SS wire though. Or maybe they do make one now? I thought Atom mightā€¦canā€™t remember. There is so much confusion on figuring them out anymore after all their confusion with the names SSOCC and people misunderstanding the casing was SS. They could have done that whole thing a bit better.

The original square coils always seemed to get dry hits on me. I chain vape often, and thatā€™s when I had issues. But, I havenā€™t tried the square ones again in over a year now. I just got the claptons and havenā€™t tried any othersā€¦kind of gave up. They donā€™t make them anymore do they?

Probably right but I can say that a stainless coil (wire) will indeed have a cleaner taste. Once being used to a SS coil, switching suddenly back, many taste the metal taste they were once used to. Truth be told, the Crown is a very different animal than the Subtank or Toptank. The Crown has much more Airflow for one thing. The dual coil crown coil has a ohm rating of 30-80 watts the SSOCC a max rating of 70, the OCC max is 60 watts, BUT, it sure seems that kanger tests coil watt ratings using 50/50 blend juice. Never tried maxing the SSOCC but I can tell you for a fact that I personally would not push the OCC coil pass 45ish watts. The OCC at 60 watts and max VG, youā€™re vaping cotton, no juice what so ever. Even close to 60 you will be getting dry hits big time. As I said, the two are different animalsā€¦

1 Like

@MysticRose

Everything @ringling said above is exactly right. I havenā€™t used a pre-made Kanger coil since the spring of 2015, and even with the somewhat restricted air flow, a SS single coil in the RBA gives me an enjoyable hit DTL, clapton or not, although I make both. When I used to MTL, it was the sameā€¦just a different ohm build. The wicking is very crucial on the Kanger Subtanks/Nano/Topfill, etc, and I donā€™t see how you can control that on the pre-made coils.Thinner juice really helps, but I believe I have seen some recent pre-made coils with large juice holes, and I would use them to start. It may be on the ceramic Kanger coilsā€¦? I found a guy on ebay that sells the Kanger coils cheapā€¦I bought a bunch of coils/decks for my Dripboxā€™s, and some pre-made coils for my Brother in OZ [I will look for his link].

I think you may be able to increase the juice flow by poking around in the juice holes a bit, using a UD cotton hook or similar, and it seems like I saw a youTube video about that, hmmm.

I would look at the different pre-made coils paying attention to the size of the juice holes. One of the Kangerā€™s I bought, Topfill maybeā€¦the RBA had tiny juice holes in it. I just left it in the boxā€¦for parts.

I like the Kanger tanks and keep at least three in my daily rotation [I sit at this desk for hours every day]. They are a different hit than the others [Avocados, TFā€™s,drippers, etc] and I really enjoy the taste, but the only way I know how to get them to perform is with the RBAā€™s.

Ya, no doubtā€¦but there is no way to clean them. I imagine the coil is gunked up and steals your flavor. This is also the reason why I quit mixing with sucralose, it appeared to gunk up faster, and there is sucra in other things we buy/use, like Marshmallow, etc.

First I would try gently pushing the wick away from the juice hole before putting the new coil in, not too much to make it leak, but to give it a bit more freedom.

I will go search a few things and give you a link(s) if I find anything interesting [or not :smile_cat: ]

2 Likes

Those are .5ohm, yes? You do hit DTL, yes?

These new ceramic have extra holes, plus the original holes are larger than the other coils.
This is the seller I bought from for my Brother and my Dripboxā€™sā€¦

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KangerTech-SSOCC-0-5-1-2-1-5-Ni200-Clapton-Ceramic-Authentic-Kanger-Coils-/111892186394?var=&hash=item1a0d4b451a:m:m4k0Ez_VLF8bPMHExsUjuvA

1 Like

@MysticRose

Check this videoā€¦

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbXLOkklR1Q

2 Likes

Kanger is shit at naming things. They did start making a stainless wire coil - some time this year I think. It has a pink insulator ring. Hereā€™s a chart of everything they make, tho the SUS-316 SS are a bit tough to find for sale on their own - a lot of shops donā€™t carry them (probably because they think they already have ā€œSSā€ coils).

I recently got a couple vintage Subtank Minis on clearance and used the old square OCC coils, and that kanthal flavor is so annoying. I was gonna say god-awful, but itā€™s not that bad. Still, once I built the RBA head with some stainless the difference was pretty stark. I donā€™t remember it seeming like such a big deal when I first made the switch, but trying to go back to kanthalā€¦ ugh!

3 Likes

Kanger has always kept their names simple and to the point, Toptank (Top Fill), Subtank (Subohm Tank), ect. If you like fancy names for your equipment Kanger is quite lacking. I have to admit that they blew it naming the SSOCC coil. I find the name misleading. Perhaps it should have been FGOCC, the FG for Food Grade. People see the SS and automatically think Stainless Steel Wire Coilā€¦

Disagree completely here. Though there are some pretty stupid people hired to run some Vape Shops, most are in the know about coils. You have to be. We are the ones setting people right on the SSOCC coils. What the deal is, is that most vape shops buy from wholesale distibutors and not direct from Kanger. You just donā€™t see distributors carry the SS coils cause they are not as popular. Most people do not use Temp Control and have no desire to get into temp control so the Kanthal coils are most popular and carried by distributorsā€¦

Yep, youā€™re ruined for life now. No going back at this pointā€¦

2 Likes

Yes, this info was passed around here of ELR quite a while ago. Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about it or I would have mentioned it to @MysticRose. Good findā€¦

2 Likes

Pretty sure I also passed it forward here before.
Some things need bringing backā€¦and some OLD people like you need reminding !
But hey, not pickinā€™ at you, but it could be worse, Brotherā€¦
there could be two of you, eh?

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your help. I have watched that video before and tried that trick. Yes, the Claptons are .5 ohm and I DL hit. I donā€™t have the dry hit issue with the Claptons, just the flavor is mediocre and they burn out so fast. And I agree with you completely on them being a different hit than others, I enjoy it immensely. But I canā€™t have everything I guessā€¦lol. I know it will never match the flavor in some of the other tanks, and you are probably right in that the only way to get good flavor on these is with the RBAā€™s. I did try a few times, but gave up in frustration with leaking issues. But that was still in the learning days, might have to revisit it now :wink:

I will look closer at the prebuilt heads. I know the Clapton isnā€™t lasting long enough or satisfying flavor. And I know I donā€™t like the OGs. Iā€™ve never been a fan of ceramic, but might give those a try. Also the new round SSOCC V2 they said came out in Feb 2016? Havenā€™t tried those either. Thank you very much for the links and the help from both of you @ozo @zigz

They burn out fastā€¦because they are sorta made toā€¦[buy more]
It is easy to build the RBAā€¦just like anything else, new is rough, the more you do it, itā€™s simple,
and I bet you know the FIRST place you can come for assistance, eh? [me, eh?]
First step to making good coils consistentlyā€¦good tools. Then experience.

1 Like

You know, every Clapton Coil Iā€™ve tried burnt out within 4-5 days, if I got that far. Thought they were too hot as well. Know the feelingā€¦

1 Like