ELR Home   Create recipe   Resource page   My recipes/favorites

Knife murders SURPASS Gun murders?


My grandmother used to say the best way to raise kids was to put them in a barrel and feed them through a little hole on top. When they become teens, seal the hole off.


While we were limited by the size of the garage, I seem to remember that the nails would fly a few meters but still have enough energy to engage conrete blocks…
It was industrial equipment, and 20 years ago. So my memory could be playing tricks on me.


There is a british joke in here, but I am too tired to take a stab at it


Looks like you may have to retest


I agree with you, essentially if you give people something to lose, they will act more civilized.


I see what you did there! :slight_smile:


Let’s see here, this is my take on this.

Say some rather large fellow is coming at me with a knife so I’m not sure if I can disarm him or be overpowered and stabbed. So since I have a conceal and carry permit, I can draw my weapon then give him the option to stop his attack and he can live.

Say any guy has an AR-15 and my chances of life or death may be the fact that I have a conceal and carry makes me realize where the logic of this argument is made. My point is, once I am no longer allowed to have a gun, that guy with the AR-15 will always be able to get one.


LOL, I could have worded that better… Meant Cell Phones, not kids.


You really need to watch what you say when you have no idea how what you’re talking about.
An ar-15 is not an automatic wepon.
In order to buy an automatic wepon in America you have to have a fire arm dealer license.



While a FFL license (with SOT 3 ) is used for transfer purposes, Ownership In America depends which state you reside. (If you wish to be legal)

(for example)


I think you skipped a portion of that article that is extremely important for putting it in context, and showing the half truth of that article.
Number 2 — Washington D.C.* There are “66.4” NFA-registered firearms for every 1,000 residents in Washington D.C. A total of “42,897 registered firearms dispersed among only 646,449 people.”

*Breitbart News contacted the ATF regarding Washington D.C. being listed as number two for NFA-registered firearms. How could this be when acquiring/possessing even the most basic of weapons — a revolver — is a major undertaking in the District? The response was that the number of NFA-registered firearms in D.C. is related to the massive representation of federal law enforcement, state law enforcement, military, etc.


While you too skipped a large part of that web page, are you still saying a FFL is required for Class 3 weapon ownership in America? Are you saying “federal law enforcement, state law enforcement, military, etc.” have FFL’s? Are you saying that all those legal class 3 weapon owners in America have FFL’s?

“In order to buy an automatic wepon in America you have to have a fire arm dealer license.”


You wanna dig deep? Ok let’s go!
The main federal law governing fully automatic weapons is called the National Firearms Act, or NFA. First enacted in 1934, this federal law regulates fully automatic weapons, suppressors, short-barreled rifles and shotguns, and destructive devices such as bombs or grenades. The NFA was subsequently modified in 1968 by the Gun Control Act and in 1986 by the Firearm Owners Protection Act.

Items included in the NFA are referred to colloquially as “NFA items,” and are highly regulated. A special license from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) is required to manufacture, sell, and own any of these items, without exception. Whereas regular gun manufacturers and dealers must obtain a Federal Firearms License, or FFL, to legally make and sell non-NFA firearms, entities who wish to make or sell NFA items must obtain an additional license on top of the FFL. These dealers are referred to as FFL/SOT (special occupational tax) or Class 3 FFL dealers. It is a lengthy and burdensome process that requires extensive investigation by ATF.

Under the NFA, it is illegal for any private civilian to own any fully automatic weapons manufactured after May 19, 1986. Only certain types of FFL/SOTs may make them, and then only for purchase by qualified state and federal agencies. There are no exceptions.


An what of the thousands of Class 3 weapons manufactured before May 19, 1986?

BTW You did not answer the FFL questions


Yes because there are so many of those on the market and in “crazy Joe’s” hands. [quote=“Cutlass92, post:33, topic:192077”]
A special license from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) is required to manufacture, sell, and own any of these items, without exception.
And to get said special license you must have an FFL.


Nope. You are mistaken.

“All machine guns, suppressors, SBR and SBS not in the possession of the United States government must be registered. The firearm must be registered (entered into a database maintained by the BATFE) and a ONE-TIME $200.00 federal excise tax must be paid to BATFE only when the weapon is transferred to a different owner. This tax is not an “annual” tax, it is simply an excise, or “sales” tax. If the weapon is re-sold two months or twenty years later, there is still only the one time $200.00 excise tax at the time of each sale. **There is no “license” one must possess from the federal government to possess NFA weapons.”



I believe transfer from the owner of the original exempted status requires a license, Try buying a wwll automatic weapon which is a period exempt weapon, you will need a license as a new owner. The term License is ambiguous, the process and fees involved and requirement is in essence the same.


I’m with you and the only big difference (to me) is the one time $200 tax for a person to purchase a class 3 item and the annual extra $500 “tax” or fee for SOT 3 FFL.


The requirements and ownership of an automatic weapon
can not be a “prohibited person” and includes anyone who:

  • is a felon
  • has been convicted of any crime punishable by more than a year in prison (whether or not they were ever sentenced to or served a day in prison)
  • is under indictment for any crime punishable by more than a year in prison
  • is a fugitive
  • is an unlawful user of any controlled substance
  • has been adjudicated as a mental defective
  • has been committed to a mental institution
  • is an illegal alien
  • has a dishonorable discharge from the military
  • has renounced their U.S. citizenship
  • is the subject of a restraining order restraining the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or the child of an intimate partner, or
  • who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence

Only then can any automatic weapon be transferred under: §479.105 Transfer and possession of machine guns.

Its not as everyone believes, that it is simple, it is not and not just anyone can legally obtain these items. Now illegal ownership is just that ILLEGAL


My mistake over the fees! Heck there may be additional local/state $$ required I don’t know about.

Yes, it is not a rubber stamp transaction to be a purchaser. I’ve heard there may be further items required in some locations. A letter from your local sheriff is one I’ve seen.

I have a knife :grinning: and have no interest in anything class 3. I would rather save my $$ to buy flavors and other vape stuff.