Kylin M? Anyone? Bueller?

That’s a shame. Most AF users are pretty happy with using it.

6 Likes

Now ya’ll got me checking out this ‘artic fox’. Never heard of that one. Off to peek.

Yes, alas, poor Eleaf Pico Squeeze… I love you but fear you are soon to be relegated to backup status. lol

mjag, I’ll be watching for your thoughts on the Kylin M when you get round to it. Mine were supposed to be here yesterday by 20:00, then it was delayed till today by 20:00. Now the sucker just says ‘delayed’, so who knows. Soon, though! Hopefully! ')

6 Likes

Wasn’t gonna do a formal review on the Kylin M but my rebuild with the OFRF SS mesh is going good so far. I put too much rayon wick with the VV SS 200 mesh, I thought it was too snug but was in a hurry. Cut the wicks just like you would with the Profile, at an angle from the top of the mesh to the base if the tank. Stole this pic off the interwebs

You want to get it as close to the top of the mesh as possible though, that is too much in the above pic. No need to thin it out as much as the Profile, the Kylin M has bigger wicking slots. Just make sure there isn’t too much wick going down into the slots, you will have to trim some making a damn but not a lot that can be seen crowding the slots.

First impression is it is not as tasty as the Profile Unity but that one took a while to get the wicking right, I suspect the Kylin M is no different. My experience says that the Profile has better airflow, coming in from the sides rather than from the top sides like the Kylin M. The Kylin M is a looker though, love my gunmetal.

Need to switch mods to get a better grip on how the TC works with the OFRF SS mesh, the Sxmini SL can be hit or miss with some builds and this is definitely a miss. Normally SS mesh is gonna react differently with TC anyway, I usually run it about 10 to 20 degrees F lower than normal TC wire builds. With the SL it is just choppy as hell, switched to power mode and it is a lot better.

I am going to try a normal SS single coil build in the Kylin M, just gonna have to be a big coil so I have enough wick to fill those slots.

6 Likes

I haven’t meshed much yet @mjag, but thank you for the very detailed instructions, etc.

3 Likes

I have heard Steam Crave hint about doing a mesh tank, you know if they do it it’s gonna be good :wink:

5 Likes

That’s a good thing! You may find it helps you out some day!

Basically, it’s a great “gap filler” in circumstances where the factory firmware fell short in some way, but the hardware used, and the circuit design were actually done well enough to lay the foundation.

Results still vary. But if there’s improvement, then it’s still better than what you had! :wink:

For instance, if the OEM did a lot of hardware things ‘right’, but, say “flubbed” a computational algorithm (which would be easily amended through a code change in the firmware).

IE: the length of time in the polling interval pertinent to the circuit that monitors the resistance, etc. (Which might have been set too long by the factory).

note: this is just a hypothetical example. I cannot confirm this firsthand.

4 Likes

Thanks, makes perfect sense! So good chipset with advanced capabilities, but they jacked something in the programming, so the Artic Fox is like a firmware patch that is cross compatible with a number of chipsets/mods, basically?

I will DEF start to check that out for mods i’m considering, in advance. And hopefully eventually they’ll add the Squeeze 2. Eleaf really doesn’t have that one set up properly set for upgrades, even on their own firmware update page. Took me an hour to track down their installer to change my teensy graphic.

Thanks mjag! rofl at ‘interwebs’. That looks so much simpler, wick wise. I’ll definitely try that recommended wicking, but I’ll also build wick ala Deerslayer’s method with double bunny ear ‘troll doll’ hair and rayon, though it works great with cotton, too. That’s here, post 37 of 80, if anyone is curious. Best flavor rdas

May not work… but so far every single build I’ve tried tweaking this wicking method to fit has performed better with his way than the ‘recommended’ wick. That absolutely includes the Profile.

Come ON USPS!! It’s Driving me bonkers… I’m like counting the seconds till ours show up. @SessionDrummer curious what you think once you have time to play with it extensively, too.

And really? A Steam Crave mesh tank?? I’ve never had an SC simply because I tend to prefer tiny tanks… but boy, its been on my ‘get asap!’ list foreeeever. Good performing mesh would be a fun one to jump in on.

4 Likes

@mjag

5 Likes

Junkie :crazy_face:

5 Likes

More or less. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am guessing not this year, you know Steam Crave is not a company to rush products out but I did see a list of upcoming products from them.

Just saw them mention that they were looking into it regarding mesh. Not like it is needed for there other tanks but sure would be cool to see a SC mesh tank.

@OddModicum thanks for linking that wicking method, will have to try it out one day :+1: Regarding TC the DNA250C is the best but not always out of the box. I have a custom profile for it I can send you if you ever get one, really dials it in. I did swipe the SS316L profile from Daniel Djlsb vapes, once I tried it I was like…yep :grin: The Replay mode is what makes it phenomenal though…easy peasy lemon squeezy. You can also get Replay with the DNA75C as well, just have to download the international version or escribe. There are other fine TC mods but no one else has the Replay mode.

5 Likes

I def need to look into those DNA250 mods… my thing is I know there are better squok mods out there than my Pico Squeeze 2, but i’m very visual… and I’m just not digging them visually. I may decide to go for function over form at some point, because I DO adore really good TC functionality.

I’m just hoping when my guy and i get our Tesla Nano his and hers mods the TC is good. I’ve heard good things about it, but one of those things you dont really know till you try it. Our Tesla Punks had good TC function, though, so crossing fingers.

Our Kylin M’s showed up today! Im gonna wick now, and let you guys know how it goes. :wink:

4 Likes

Sorry to disappear, been a busy week.

Ok, so couple quick thoughts on the Kylin M… First off, I LIKE IT! I mean, I really really like it.I like it a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. Its MUCH closer to the intensity and the flavor of the Profile than I thought they could get with an RTA. Now, mind you, I haven’t tried the Profile Unity, so I can’t make any comparisons, there.

My guy is not quite as fond of his, but its his first foray into mesh, and honestly… if its not OBS RTA, he’s looking at it with kinda poo coloured glasses. I did get him to admit that both the flavor and vapor are very good, they’re just not exactly what he’s used to with his OBS Crius II (which is one hell of an RTA).

First, I tried wicking EXACTLY as reviewers showed, with the included VV kanthal mesh at .12 ohms, using included angleted VV cotton, jam it in, cut at 45 degree down and out angle, and then tuck in stots. BAD PLAN. Don’t buy the hype that reviewers are slinging that you don’t need to prep the wick. It may just be that I’m a max VG vaper (though I do thin w Saline)… but it was like gargling flaming charcoal w hot metal chaser… NOT RECOMMENDED.

Next I rebuilt with the OFRF Mesh… this time I used rayon, with the combined diameter of the rayon just slightly under what they use for included angleted VV cotton. You can use slightly less wicking… the pressure sensitive plate is springy enough. I did not thin any wicking from the center, under the coil, but I did thin out the sides considerably, cut to edge of RTA deck, then tuck into wicking slots.

I’m also looking forward to trying with 3 of the smallest size Firebolt cottons, because they are great on the Profile… but alas, I’m outta the Firebolt right now. I dont’ think cotton was the issue with the first build but rather the lack of thinning on the side wicks.

Also, like the Profile, I’d say its essential that you strum and pre fire the coil, then after its wicked properly, LOAD UP the cotton under wick with juice repeatedly and fire briefly to saturate the cotton, and repeat many x, until it doesn’t seem to wick away the juice as quickly. Its ESSENTIAL that the cotton/rayon is saturated as heck for this device, even more so than the Profile.

First 30 mins or so do seem to be a bit of a breaking in period on a new mesh coil, but the flavor comes through much louder and clearer after that. Much like the Profile, the cloud is lovely… I’m regularly fogging up a poorly ventilated room w just lil ole me vaping. I really expected the Kylin M to be the ‘poor cousin’ of the Profile… vape and flavor considerably less, but eh, to be expected and you have to sacrifice something for the convenience of a tank. I was WAY OFF. The flavor is crisp, all the nuances present. Though I will say that bakery and creams and complex flavors seem to be a little better in this guy than straight fruits. Honestly, I think with straight fruits the flavor is just as good but the harshness that’s masqued in some other lesser devices ALSO comes through loud and clear on the Kylin M. So if your juice is craptastic, there’s no hiding it on this device. :wink:

Overall, this performs as well as I could possibly have imagined… Its truly a little Profile with a tank… the few improvements, spring loaded sides to deck that pop open as you unscrew, MUCH larger wicking channels, nice crenelated sides at top and bottom, so its easy to grip and twist, bubble glass optional, and the truly lovely build quality of VV devices… all serve to make this my fave tank yet.

However, you’ve gotta be smart about this one. Don’t smush or bend your coil, or its AWFUL fried vape. Practice and learn to wick it properly, and keep an eye on your juice level! Dry hits on mesh are no fun.

But if you love the Profile, IMO you’ll love this little cloudy flavor banger, as well. Don’t tar and feather me, but there’s 2 of my mixes that I swear actually taste a bit better on the Kylin M than they do on the Profile, Dripping and squonking.

Personally, I’m SUPER JAZZED for the OFRF SS mesh to come out for sale. You can dry burn and clean those OFRF mesh coils for weeks on end… they’re incredibly durable and the performance lasts.

All in all, not at all shabby for a tank under $30, and its absolutely my fave RTA to date.

Aha! Couple little nebbish picks, I forgot to mention. They’re not really cons, just something to be aware of if you grab one of these, or you might rip your hair out. First airflow… I think I prefer the Profile airflow just the tiniest bit, primarily because the top flow airflow ‘grid’ on this is great, and you can take apart to clean, which is awesome, but unless you’re in exact right light, it’s difficult to see how much of the holes are open or closed off. Its a tight twist, so once you get it where you want it its not likely to migrate on ya, but still. I’ve had a few head scratch moments where I wonder why my vape is suddenly wonky, only to realize my airflow is occluded.

2nd… the bubble glass is awesome, but there is definitely a top and a bottom! I was going nuts trying to figure out why I could not get the bottom deck to screw on…finally my guy realized the glass is upside down. If the glass and the threading are parallel, you’ve got it updside down. Threading should protrude about 1/8" under the glass, so it can thread onto the deck.

Rachel

5 Likes

I have been really enjoying the Kylin M, so much so I bought a 2nd already. The flavor is at least as good as the Profile Unity but it is a better looking tank IMO. It is a different wick than the Unity, took 3 tries to get it right but once there wow, flavor blast. With the Vandy Vape SS 200 mesh I get a more saturated vape, the OFRF SS316L mesh is more dry. I prefer the VV 200 in it but it is close, I just like the sugar lips from the 200.

5 Likes

Me too! Well, I didn’t buy a second, but I stole my guys. :wink: I love it, but I am noticing that you have to be REALLY consistent with your wicking. I used a tiny tiny bit less rayon in it this time than last, and I’ve developed a major hot spit-back problem. Mind you… flat out NOT a problem, as in did not happen even one time, when I had it wicked properly. So gotta figure that out, again, but its an outstanding tank.

Seems to be a theme for me with the VV tanks… take a while for me to figure out how they want to be used, but then once I figure it out, outstanding.

I STILL can’t make the dang VV 200 mesh work for me, though. I’ve tried a few x… its good mesh, but flat out doesn’t work for me in TC. I thought it was a limitation of my previous mod, so I bought a Telsa Nano (which reviewers seem to rave about in TC terms… though after some more detailed research, the have been some who had issues with the TC). Now the Nano isn’t working in TC with the VV mesh, either. Grrrargh.

Bottom line, I’ve just got to buy a Yihi mod or a dual topside, as soon as I can.

And in the interim, I’ll grab some of the OFRF stainless mesh, and hope for the best.

5 Likes

The DNA75C and 250C work the best with my custom SS316L profile than my Yihi mods when it comes to SS mesh. All other mods are hit or miss, mesh is a whole new ballgame to TC as it is so new. Make sure your watts are at a sensible range when doing TC on mesh, keep it 65 watts or below, too high and the mesh ramps up so fast TC can’t keep up.

The wicking is picky with the Kylin M but once you get it wow, If someone is not getting good flavor than the wicking is off for sure.

5 Likes

Finally got paid, so the SS OFRF mesh is winging its way to me! Or, actually… coming from China, so its puttering its way to me via slowboat. But its comin’!

You know, I’ve not had bad flavor with any of my myriad wicking attempts on the Kylin M… flavor is just outstanding. Only issues I’ve had with ‘getting it wrong’ re: wicking is crazy dry hits (mesh is rooough) or the new issue with too little wicking, nuclear spit back. lol But I got it right once, damn it, and didn’t have either of those problems at all, so I know its doable. :wink: And when you get it right, its nigh’ unto perfection.

I’m a ‘cool’ vaper, so even with the low ohm mesh, I’m still vaping, absolute max, in the high 40w. Now with TC, if I can take my temp way down, I might push into the 50s, but never ever go beyond that. Just crossing fingers the OFRF SS mesh will work with the Tesla Nano 120. If it works, I’ll be thrilled. If it doesn’t… gotta grab a DNA/Yihi mod with a quickness. lol

And just because its SO ridiculous and people here are likely the only ones who will get it…here’s what happened when i realized I had too little wicking (aka ‘short term nuclear spit back solution’) at the beginning of an 11 hour work day, and had no time to fix it. Enter the super long drip tip.

I call it ‘The Anachronistic Oilcan’.

5 Likes

I do find the Kylin M to be more finicky with wicking than the Profile but that may be because I have wicked the profile so much more thus far. I got the Doom RTA recently too, another wick to get down, why can’t all these mesh RTA’S wick the same dammit…lol.

With the OFRF SS mesh I found it performed better in TC if you attached the clamps to the solid part like this.

Made a better and more stable connection for TC.

The OFRF is definitely less spitty that the VV 200 as well so that sounds like it will work great for you. I just ordered another 10 pack of the OFRF SS today as well, lightning vape has them on sale starting today. I wish they had a free shipping option though, bought 2 packs, 1 for a friend and it came out to $16 shipped, not bad though at $8 each shipped.

4 Likes

No, that is definitely a good deal. I got mine with some other stuff at Fasttech, of course that’s muuuuch slower delivery, and its still on pre-order till 7/30, i think. But with code MAP it was like $6.33 w free shipping. I’d much rather have spent the extra buck and change to get it faster.

The funny thing with the spitting is I had it perfect! No spitting, not hot hits… and managed to forget how much wicking I used that time. lol

And thanks for the tip re: clamping to solid bits. I’ll make sure its loaded that way when it arrives.

4 Likes

Hahahaha, happens to me too, seems like each mesh tank likes the wicks just a shade different. I need to get back on the Doom RTA, I like it but had a great wick that went terrible after 3 tanks, don’t know what happened, leaked all over my mod overnight. What I like about mesh though is you don’t have to build as often, a good build can last me 3 weeks depending on the juice.

5 Likes