Label glue remover?

i like to remove at least some of the original label off a bottle to see whats in it. but many times there is glue that stays on the bottle = pita.
any solutions ?

3 Likes

Alcohole is like in so many situations the solution you’re looking for!

4 Likes

Wd40 will remove the sticky glue or gel hand sanitizer

9 Likes

Or a very thin oil like what you use for guns.

4 Likes

GoofOff
Amazon.com: Goof Off FG796 Adhesive Gunk Remover, 16 oz. Trigger Spray Bottle, Orange, 16 Ounce: Home Improvement

6 Likes

The only problem with lubricants like Goof Off, Goo Gone, etc. is that they stink to high heaven. I used 91% alcohol hoping to get the smell off and even then I had to let the bottle sit on the window sill for awhile. Maybe some products are less stinky than others, Idk.

6 Likes

Omg it worked. Tried googone and it did not work but this did.

3 Likes

WD40 has loads of uses! It’s not the greatest for lubricating, but does wonders for all sorts of things. My old boss used to spritz a little on his lures when he’d go fishing. He said that the salmon emulsion helped to attract fish.

8 Likes

When in the UK I always keep a big bottle of isopropyl alcohol for these jobs. When in China, I grab a 5l bottle of Beijing Erguotou: Industrial grade firewater.

4 Likes

THAT is a great brand name!

3 Likes

It’s a brand that the Chinese government subsidises so all can get wasted cheaply. It’s like a really rough moonshine that’ll put hairs on your eyes.

4 Likes

I heard that fish oil story but I’m afraid it doesn’t hold up… apparently WD40 is made from coponents found in raw oil and has different formulation for Europe, the US and Australia.

2 Likes

thanx folks.

i’m not thrilled with the idea of non food grade oil on my bottles.

so, the alcohol thing. the closest thing to fire water i have would be some kind of booze. otherwise i have some isopropyl. any of these good ?

i would rather not experiment here.

2 Likes

I remember using baking soda and vegetable oil. I little bit of rubbing with a course cloth or those plastic scrubby things and done. Depending on how thick the adhesive is, will depend on how much scrubbing you’ll do.

3 Likes

i just tried vodka = no good.

isopropyl alcohol = :+1: . took aa little rubbing, but got it off. and i didn’t taste any residue

4 Likes

Eucalyptus oil

Take off any sticky residue from adhesives better than anything else I have ever used…

3 Likes

I see you already figured it out. What I do with medical bottle labels is to float the bottle in warm water to loosen the adhesive. Depending on the type of glue you may be able to peel it off. If not it still makes removal with solution easier. On medicine bottle labels soap and water with the plastic dish scrubber easily removes what didn’t come off from the peel. With medicine bottle labels I fill them with warm water instead of floating them.

5 Likes

91% alcohol is a thing.
I have a friend who is hardcore 420 and often needs to clean her hardware, and she informed me that 91% alchohol works, regular alchohol from a dollar store doesnt.
I guess normal rubbing alchohol is down around 65% or such.
But Walmart carries 91%.
You just have to look for actual 91% on the label.

6 Likes

My two cents, anything really really greasy, turpentine/white spirit, WD40, even olive oil, sometimes if it’s not a lot of glue some whatever alcohol works but might just smear things around and takes some work… with white spirit I even took off American tape leftovers, but it stinks

4 Likes

some labels come off very cleanly, others, not so much.

are you talking isopropyl alcohol ? i used the 91%.
my wife does 420, could you please ask your freind if it damages the plastic bongs ? thanx

2 Likes