Lathe and CNC geekery - Driptips!

[quote=“bradslinux, post:117, topic:41516”] I won’t do it again,
[/quote]

Booo :thumbsdown: I actually quite like how that looks! [quote=“bradslinux, post:119, topic:41516”]
I have a plan!
[/quote]

Yay!!! :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Delrin liners?

2 Likes

Thanks fellas! LV there is some granular difference not noticed at all during cutting, it is visible after the cut, but it blends well with the 1200 grit.
Yes, Delrin lined. I saw similar on lightningvapes.com for the Goblin Mini. I will do something similar for the Goblin and the Aromamizer. Of course I can also make more standard 510 drip tips. :slight_smile: I like the idea of using Delrin for the actual fitting. It allows for a snug slip fit since it has some “give” to it and is self lubricating. Acrylic resin is very hard and inflexible.
The reason I don’t want to make them very thin is that the material is VERY brittle when cut thin. One good hit and it will break. It does look very cool though being that translucent. I’ll have to find a happy medium for thickness.

2 Likes

Maybe line with white delrin…that exists, right? Might pop better than black. Whitish PEEK certainly exists…if you can justify the $.

1 Like

I have white Delrin here. I prefer the aesthetic of black. Delrin (acetyl) has a low absorption property, but it will absorb over time and show discoloring. It would be more visible with white than black.

2 Likes

OK, so somewhat a productive New Years day. I repaired a computer for my son’s father in law, $$$$ He needed it fast. :wink:
I got to spend some time on my lathe… a picture is worth a thousand words?
I am pleased with the outcome. :smiley:

10 Likes

That is cool! :smiley:

3 Likes

THANKS!!!
THAT is neat. YOU are cool! :smiley:

2 Likes

Very nice work Brad. And damnit that is a sweet design. You sir are a badass.

1 Like

Great looking job man!

1 Like

Thank you all!
Considering the company we keep in this thread, I am very proud of the results. :smiley:

1 Like

I should have gotten the 6ml A-mizer though, I have filled this thing like 5 times today with Alisa’s Bust-a-Nut. Damned good juice!

1 Like

That’s pretty cool man. To get a virtual high five from a guy with machine tools in his closets…is pretty high praise. That looks very cool.

1 Like

True that Mr. Weasel, true that. :smiley:

1 Like

Can I place my order now? :slight_smile: Seriously.

2 Likes

LOL Sure. I have absolutely no idea how much money to charge. Tell ya what. What ever ya pay for it, I’ll donate half of it to Lars and ELR to help pay to keep the server’s lights on. :slightly_smiling:
I am already thinking of a design change though. No insert. The acrylic is sitting on my A-mizer just fine without it. I am curious how well it will hold up though being a metal to plastic fit. It is nice and snug though, so it could stand for a little wear and “opening up”.

EDIT: Please realize that every blank is different, heck, every location of every blank is different. So what the final piece looks like will be different for every piece cut. Actually makes it kinda cool that way IMHO. No two are alike.

I guess my next trip to my garage / lathe will need to be a bit more productive :wink:

1 Like

That’s what is so wonderful about acrylic, aside from the fact it looks better and stays cooler than all other materials. Reminds me of working with Briar wood. Each piece even from the same bock. I’ll send you a PM with an otter for 2 of these (or your improved design). T?hanks Brad.

1 Like

No worries, it’ll get me out of the house. I guess I’ll have to fire up the Ready Heater in the gurrrage and get to work.

1 Like

I guess we get to find out how tight of tolerances Steam Crave’s manufacturing process is. The difference between a snug slip fit, falling off or not going on at all is about .0025" with this stuff. I’m betting on them holding tight tolerance. Hope I don’t lose that bet. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I will measure mine in the AM and let you know what mine measures.

1 Like