Let's test some OLD recipes, and then cut them in HALF to see what's what

Don’t know I would brag about that mate… lots of lotion been used? :rofl: :rofl: :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

Given the topic of this thread…

Happy upcoming hatchment day mate :birthday:

8 Likes

:wink:

10 Likes

I have been laughing way to hard over that, fantastic!

6 Likes

Oil of Ol’ lady is killin’ me too! :rofl:

6 Likes

Holy shit, i dont know how i didnt notice that until just now.

5 Likes

If there’s no difference in taste & same amounts are needed, then it would mean only one thing = that there was zero progress in the technology in the second half of the overall history (if we split vaping industry in half = like pre-14 and after that). If it tastes the same and there’s no difference, why would anyone want to buy newer hardware?

Contrary, if you say particular setups produce more flavor, then it means precisely that = less flavor is needed for the same result.

Next, if we take average vapers, veterans from back then – do they in average use rather more or rather less of same flavors now (let’s remove ‘the same amount’ answer to get a better picture)? I’d say nearly anyone is using less flavors nowadays; i don’t remember i saw a single recipe of a veteran using more flavor now than back then (i’m talking about exactly the same flavors as they were using back then; you just don’t see recipes of veterans anymore using 8% BS Ripple, 8% SB Ripe, 8% Butter Rum, 12-15% VC1 in their recipes nowadays; not just because they use newer flavors now, but also when they use precisely these same flavors in their recipes). Weird coincidence or is there a good reason for that?

I do believe some progress has been made, just maybe not enough to allow 50% flavor reduction. But enough to allow ~20 or 25% flavor reduction? Probably.

8 Likes

I think the hard part is the subjective taste issue. You can have 3 people try the same recipe, in the same hardware, and get 3 different results. I still mix a lot of “heavy” flavoured mixes because my taste is shot. Yes, some could say it is because I vape MTL only, but other people have tried my set ups and mix and been blown away by the flavour.

Taste is taste. Hardware has improved, but it still comes down to individual tastes and limitations. :man_shrugging: :smiley:

12 Likes

This is a great recipe to compare why things have changed …Take the TPA PB for example . Any DIY mixer who has used it would take this flavor to 6 to 8 pct if it was the only PB being used to be the Top Note . Today most DIY mixers would Just use SSA PB at a fraction of that pct because the flavor is Better and stronger . So with just that one flavor this recipe goes from 20pct to lets say 12pct and thats using 2pct of SSA . There are a lot of reasons why recipe pcts have changed over the Years .

I dont think many Mixers would suggest using say SB Ripe at 2pct is compared to say 6pct which was an average usage rate when i started mixing is better bc less is better . Actually you rarely see the SB Ripe / Sweet SB combo used anymore bc again there are better stronger flavors today .

And of course hardware is better

Whenever you say this and you have many times I wonder who your talking about. Im not aware of any " well known mixers" who preach less is more . Take Wayne for example, the dude uses Alpine SB at like 3pct lol , FLV Boysenberry at like 2pct etc etc. The only thing he "preaches " is ti use SS or FW Sucralose and to use SS in every recipe lol. I only wonder bc i havent heard the same things your claiming.

Again i disagree here. People who are suggesting things are being asked their opinion . They arent coercing anyine to mix a certain way . They are giving their opinion bc they were asked . There will always be conflicting opinions on subjective things .

10 Likes

Agreed @fidalgo_vapes.

8 Likes

Btw @SessionDrummer your thread is an interesting test …I think the next test is ti take some of the Highest Rated recipes and recreate them with different flavors with lower pcts that works as well or better ???

9 Likes

Tend to be overrated IMHO. :smile:

12 Likes

I tend to agree with the exception of a couple. I still like to vape some Bust a Nut and have vaped more Sugar Rush than any other mix out there. One of the things i like about ATF is the Most Mixed, weekly, monthly, yearly, etc. Would love to see something like that here.

@Mikser Id say the technology is somewhat better than it was during the early boom period, tanks leak less, wider coil range and wire types so subjectivity was met with a wider range of products allowing one to tailor their experience. So this allows for some lowering of %s in older mixes almost certainly.

For me tho, i pretty much vape the same as i did early on, i like my mechs and they are relatively the same now. Although i do love these squonk boxes. Even my favorite RDA, Elder Dragon, has a similar style dome shape as my favorite RDA back then, the IGO-W4. I bored the hell out of the air holes and ran 316l coils. What has allowed me to really lower my favor %s in old mixes is the passage of time since i smoked and the return of my senses. This is a big factor for me and im sure many out there.

13 Likes

Yes, but then there is the pod craze which took things back a step IMHO. The MTL stuff was on a roll for a while with some (not much) innovation being seen, but it seems to have stagnated again. As I don’t do the DTL thing, I am not sure how much better that is but I do check out the reviews here out of curiosity at times and they seem to be better than of old.

10 Likes

Agree, when it’s good it’s good. Right flavor proportions are much more important in a mix than overall percents used (unless you push over flavor’s breaking point) - this is what they don’t tell you as a newbie enough, when you don’t have many flavors and you replace them to what you have and the end result is usually just a mediocre vape, instead of something spectacular everyone is talking about.

I just had Five Pawns Queenside (at original 20.2%) about a week or two ago and it was pretty damn good (albeit it did feel just a bit too over-flavored, but not disturbing). Will make another bottle, which i rarely do (it will be three actually, one at these original %'s, one where i add 25% more pg/vg base and the third one where i play with newer flavors / different percents).

12 Likes

Here is a really old Recipe, the Original juice got me to quit smoking…

I honestly don’t think you could cut the percentages and get the same taste as it was pretty close. But I wonder if you could sub out stuff and make it equally as good with different flavours?
:thinking:

Anyways, this was a staple in my DIY adventure. Very nice recipe.

Additionally, I’d add 1% of super sweet for the true commercial taste

9 Likes

Oh I didn’t know it was Wayne Walker’s Clone? Damn, that dude must’ve been lucky mixing that one.

I’d rather believe he Pelosi’d it.

5 Likes

I’d be willing to. I’m not sure if this is the place for it, but can you recommend a RDA? I’ve never had one and since I’m mixing A LOT more than I used to, I’d like to have an inexpensive way to SFT. I got away from glass tanks and switched to the AEGIS Boost & Boost Pro bc I’m an electrician and I am ROUGH on mods.

7 Likes

@Craigg2020. How does free sound?!

4 Likes

get you am rda, the guy above vapes through his mask ( germs?) … I but mine havent even been vaped when I have my cold sores

4 Likes