Liquid Labs PDO aka 1,3 Propanediol, recipe mixing, allergic reations?

Ok. Here goes…

For me PG is an allergen and therefore cannot be used to mix juice. Found that out johnny come lately after I bought a quart of the stuff and used a thimble full. If anyone wants it it’s just sitting here and if you’re willing to pay shipping you can have it.

That said. I have found that total VG based juice mixing is somewhat of a black art that never really comes to true fruition. I have noticed that huge steep times and loads more flavoring solution are needed to get even a modicum of flavor transference thru the vapor. You see I use only VG based flavorings as well. I can only tolerate only very trace amounts of PG at all.

Enter, PDO…

Reading about the Dupont PDO production process gives me the willy’s. GMO viruses, genetically modified strains of Pneumonia, E-Coli…?? really? Now Liquid Labs is selling PDO by the 50 gallon drum if you so desire. I have requested from Liquid Labs all the data sheets as well as the specs on the production process used to make the stuff they are selling. I mean I would like some more flavor in my 100% VG mixes, but GMO virus strains?? C’mon… I think I’ll pass on that. So we’ll see what they send me.

My big questions at this point are -

1. Has anyone here who is PG ALLERGIC used this Liquid Labs PDO stuff in e-juice mixes?
  2. If yes, were there ANY reactions of any kind that were noticed after vaping the juice mix that used it?
  3. If no reactions, what was the flavor quality transfer like IN THE VAPOR and how long did it take to steep?
  4. When we mix with it (assuming of course that it’s safe and non allergenic for us PG allergic) can we use it in the calculator as a direct sub for the “PG component”?

Look forward to any constructive repartee!
Thanks in Advance

2 Likes
6 Likes

You could use a little alcohol for that like a decent vodka. @Maureeenie could fill you in on that :grinning:

4 Likes

I have a pg sensitivity I tend to tolerate under 15% of it within my mixes so I mix max vg as well. I tried the PDO and it was just as bad for me , gave me the same type of symptoms as pg. My chest aches like I have a cold very painful throat is sticky and becomes sore as if I have a cold and my tongue is pretty much dried out w/ in a few puffs of a juice w/ high pg or pdo so I stay away from them both.

As far as viruses well you may be comsuming more of them than you realize depending where you live

Lactobacillus Lives in our guts naturally but we still take these when we are using antibiotics that kill our normal flora

5 Likes

That did it, I’m fasting.

5 Likes

So gross right !

The FDA sticks their nose in plenty of places it doesn’t belong !

3 Likes

1% Extremely Good Vodka, 5% Distilled Water, 94% VG. Mix and heat the mix up a bit. Shake it like it matters. Smooth as baby skin on the lungs, steep two days longer than PG Cousins. Works good, I swear, try it.

5 Likes

Well they… awww God. I cant unlearn that now can I?

1 Like

Do you heat this blend ? Or leave it open to air so the alcohol evaporates ?

I do both because it speeds the infusion of the flavor into the VG. I leave the lid off overnight to gas off the chemical reaction and the leftover alcohol in the mix from any of the flavors.

2 Likes

The only thing you might want to do on your first batches is increase the flavorings you use by 1/2 to 1% depending on how strong the flavoring is. Dont do that with cactus or coffee though… leave those at micro percentages. They take over everything.

1 Like

Out of curiosity do u mix up a base of this blend and then use it at a certain % when you are mixing mulitple batches ? I’m thinking you could make this ahead of time then just add this base to your mix once you’ve written you recipe that a way the alcohol is long gone but I see you use the alcohol as a driver for the flavors to blend w/ the Vg. I have often thought of it but I don’t drink so I don’t want it around lol but it is good to know ppl’s techniques !

I make 800 ML of that base and then when I mix I click Max VG and use the regular recipes on this site.

2 Likes

That little tiny bit of Vodka breaks down the VG so the flavor can attach to the VG. The water thins the VG.

PG just thins the VG. You don’t need it, it’s just more chemicals. Just put it all in a shaker and sit and shake the crap out of it until it bubbles, let it settle and start mixing your recipe with the percentages listed in the recipes.

1 Like

One more thing. Make sure you use a good palm base VG. Essential Depot, Wizard or ECX’s stuff is good.

2 Likes

Yea the only reason I would add a bit more pg would only be if the %s were below 10% otherwise I mix max vg

I only use the best dear :smile: no alcohol for me thou

1 Like

It wont hurt you, it gasses off. If you use expensive vodka, it’s highly purified. That’s the difference between good vodka and cheap vodka. (purification) If you cook with wine, it adds flavor and infuses the flavor. Alcohol also is somewhat flammable. The heat and gassing off gets rid of the alcohol.

1 Like

It isn’t that I get all of that part I don’t trust myself around it ! Quit drinking and smoking for my health but it doesn’t mean I don’t miss it. I choose not to be around smoking and drinking so I have no chances of letting my guard down. :wink:

5 Likes

I totally respect that. Use 6% water and heat your mix.

2 Likes

I went that route too around 3 years ago and it killed all my mixes just muted them to no end ! So I just stick w/ keeping the %s under 15% and aiming to never have to use additional pg and by using the better strength concentrates as often as I can !

3 Likes