Liquid Labs PDO aka 1,3 Propanediol, recipe mixing, allergic reations?

I have to hide my little 5 oz bottle of Absolut from the daddy.

2 Likes

He will drink it. I donā€™t drink, I use it for the vape. Itā€™s his favorite vodka.

2 Likes

really? I have seen the vodka reference on the calculator and wondered about thatā€¦ Vodka eh? Is there any residual flavoring getting thru to the vapor from the vodka? I guess the alcohol in the vodka binds to the flavoring and once heated the alcohol is burned away? Or is it some other element of the vodka that does the deed? This is interesting because I would most certainly prefer using something like vodka instead of a possible GMO nightmare like I seem to be finding with the production of PDO.

Yep yep yep. I have been a vegan for 25+ years so I know the drill. Locally grown co-op and farm store foods is all I will eat anymore for exactly the reasons you state above.

re the PDO; This is exactly the kind of information with regard to allergens that I was looking for. Looks like PDO is not an option for us PG allergic types. I have yet to get the data sheets from Liquid Labs to see what sort of process they are using that may be different from the one Dupont was using a couple of years ago. But, my guess is at this point, judging from the info you provided here, that symptomatically any type of PDO regardless of manufacturing process will have the same physiological effects as PG.

1 Like

Iā€™m a vegetarian around 6 years now. Very gross stuff they try to put in our food. I look forward to seeing how they cooperate w/ u !

Wow! Thanks for that!
A couple things I was wondering about is first, when you heat that base mix - what are you heating it in and how warm/hot do you get it and for how long? I would guess that if you heat it hot enough the alcohol will evaporate? If not do you find any residual vodka or alcohol taste in the vapor?

Purified vodka is flavorless. You wont taste even a hint of it in the finished product.

Itā€™s become a habit for me check the flavor stash of individuals that ask for help or flavor inquiries in an effort to offer better support. I noticed that you arenā€™t sharing the info needed to properly assist you in your query.

Max VG does work for several people here, but itā€™s not the best flavor carrier. When Max VG is used with weak flavors it is tough to get a very good flavor from some concentrates.

Considering I donā€™t know what flavors you have or how youā€™re using them, my only suggestion is to share more info so we can better understand what you really need to take advantage of the max vg option.

For me the PDO has a downside and itā€™s not an option for me. Iā€™ve read it kills flavors overtime.

2 Likes

From the info I have gotten here on the forum it seems that symptomatically PDO and PG are basically the same. If you have allergic reactions to PG then youā€™re most likely to have similar reactions to PDO. I am not a fan of the PDO production process. @Maureeenie was kind enough to share her findings here and Iā€™m thinking that is a much safer bet than PDO at this point.

you do realize that a few flavors do contain ethyl alcohol, right?

2 Likes

For the non-drinkers or amateurs among us, which vodka would you recommend or what should we watch out for when buying a bottle to mix in our VG?

Namely real vanillaā€™s

not just vanillas, but yes, they are among the ones.

Of course I am aware of ethyl alcohol being the flavor carrier in many of my flavorā€™s. I was more speaking of pure grain alcohol.
Iā€™ve thought of using vodka but really being sober for almost 4 years now Iā€™d rather not. Even thou I was a beer lover :blush:

4 Likes

Grey Goose, Absolutā€¦ Stoli is ok. But use good stuff. A pint of Mohawk is gonna make for some bitter liquid. Ask me, I tried it.

1 Like

Solidarity Sister! :fist:

I feel yaā€¦ but, for me, the most flavorful and non-gunking way of producing my NET extractions would be using PGA. Superb solvent for this process. However, Iā€™m 7 years behind the battlefront of the ā€œDevilā€™sā˜ ļø Urineā€ā€¦ so, for thankfully for me, the screaming urge to guzzle booze is no moreā€¦ doesnā€™t even enter my mind.

The fact that I wouldnā€™t look good in an orange jump suit and flip flops, whilst whiling away the hours in a 6x8 concrete box with a roomie thinking naughty thoughts about my bung hole :flushed:, definitely helps keep me off the booze. Keep up the good fight! :sunglasses:

7 Likes

So happy to see a vendor that sells PDO at acceptable pricesā€¦ too bad every single product is ā€œOut of stockā€ grumble

1 Like

There is a gap about a million miles wide between having a flavoring with ethyl alcohol in it and having a bottle of vodka on your mixing station. You do realize this donā€™t you?

4 Likes

Besides bitterness with cheap vodka, is there any other effect on the flavor?
I know I should just try instead of ask, but since youā€™re here :slight_smile:

I have absolutely no experience with alcohol, so no, I do not realize this :slight_smile:
Feel free to fill me inā€¦
Iā€™ve always been rather skeptical about alcohol in e-liquids for some bizarre reason