Made a lot of changes to flavor names

Dayum! That there was pretty good, lol.

We are soon going to come to a point where things will get really difficult i think, especially without you being able to see private recipes. All the various dilutions that are the same but you only know it if you can read their comments on their private recipes. And there are quite a few people that add a number/s to their flavors that seem to mean something to them but to the outside observer do not.

And @Greger thanks to your kick in the nuts things really got moving so thank you for that. I may not have appreciated it at the time but you helped get the ball rolling and the DB situation is considerably better as a result.

7 Likes

How does this work for stones? Obviously they donā€™t have a manufacturer included as a rule, but if I made a stone that was say a custard base, and just called it custard (not that I would, but I am sure others could), does that add to the flavour date base and stuff you guys around?

5 Likes

No worries, going places for sure. <170k flavors now, 25k~ removed, not bad.

Seems like you have start added (Discontinued) to the discontinued flavors. But were some missing for capella. Is there a way to report names yet and not specifically duplicates?

Old New
Amaretto (Cap) Amaretto (Cap) (Discontinued)
Anise (Cap) Anis (Cap) (Discontinued)
Boston Cream Pie (Cap) Boston Cream Pie (Cap) (Discontinued)
Crispy Bacon1 (Cap) Crispy Bacon (Cap) (Discontinued)
Fig (Cap) Fig (Cap) (Discontinued)
Hazelnut (Cap) Hazelnut (Cap) (Discontinued)
Medium Tobacco (Cap) Medium Tobacco (Cap) (Discontinued)
6 Likes

Yeah Iā€™ve already begun doing that. Iā€™ll have to go back and look at CAP because I thought I got them all. TPA just got back to me also after I queried them on some older flavors.

I guess you could just PM one of us.

6 Likes

Ill keep that in mind next time. Comparing to Capellas list those were the only ones left I found.

4 Likes

It didnā€™t occur to me to start tracking the merge counts until about a week after I began them. At that point the flavor list was right at 174,216.

8 Likes

Here are some ideas to make your work easier; not all are great, but maybe one or two might be worth of consideration.

Stones: there are 500+ ā€˜stonesā€™ listed as flavors. These are recipes, not flavors (it means if it was me i would delete them all completely); letā€™s not forget these have maybe some meaning only to a few mixers - meaning they are an emtpy weight for 99.99% mixers and they just make a mess ā€“ so whatā€™s the objective reason to keep them in? None.

Same is with dilutions. Whatā€™s the reason to keep them in if they have a meaning only for couple of mixers out of millions. Do we need them all, 5%, 10%, 15%, 27.5%, 36.43864% dillutions? F them. They are recipes, not flavors and they are just making a mess in the database.

Same is with any flavors with symbols: !, @, 1, ?, %, ā€˜ā€™, #, etc. Deletion. Zero meaning to anyone. They belong to the garbage bag without spending a second on them.

There are 1500 pages of flavors with zero recipes (meaning 35,000 nonsense flavors). And there are over 2500 pages of flavors with one single recipe (over 62,500 nonsense flavors). They all belong to the garbage bag.

Merge only where it is clear what the flavor is; like Strawbery Ripe (TPA) or similar (personally i would delete even these). Because one merging can F up the database for everyone, while one delete canā€™t hurt anyone.

Make it simple wherever possible, not complicated. Why do we need flavors
Anise (Cap) AND Anise (Cap) (Discontinued)?
Whatā€™s the reason behind this, why this is helpful to the community? First, there is no flavor named Anise (Cap) (Discontinued), it means noone in the world has that particular flavor since it does not exist, so why would we want to make a mess and complicate things and put it in a database? Remove (Discontinued) since noone has that flavor and it will only confuse mixers.
(iā€™m not saying this for Inaweras or Yogurt FA, which are different flavors sold under the same name, but specifically for Capella, which is never selling different flavor under the same name).

Guys, a big thank you for your work! Long way to go, but a huge work has been done already.

6 Likes

I agree with that. I had 3 stones that I had added to my flavour list in my stash, but I deleted them some time ago as I figured they were not helpful to anyone but myself. I have them as private recipes and if I use them in a new recipe I just add them in the description for my own information.

6 Likes

Thank you and I mostly agree. I have been complaining about the bloat to anyone who would listen for many years now and itā€™s within reach of making it happen. Iā€™ve been taking a hard look at what youā€™ve already suggested for a while now. Ken is out of town til Monday (although he may check in), so I think it would be prudent to get his input before diving in.

8 Likes

I think the root of the problem is whether anything is allowed to be introduced as a flavor (including: wrong, new, stones, dilutions, nets, small local companies, etc.) or not allowed and can only be used flavors ā€œapprovedā€ by someone . Everything has pros and consā€¦
Cleaning the DB is a commendable job, but I think that if the conditions are not fixed, it is only a temporary solution, and frustrating in the long run.
Perhaps you can make 2 categories, approved and not approved, but I donā€™t think itā€™s easy, it requires site programmingā€¦ (remember that the premixed base hasnā€™t worked in the calculator for years)
For now, thank the effort of those who try to keep the base consistentā€¦

10 Likes

The root of the problem has always been the ā€˜open door policyā€™ so to speak. Being able to enter anything and call it a flavor. Iā€™ve seen Raped Strawberry, Vagina Cream etc. Itā€™s glaringly obvious that there are numerous immature and seemingly illiterate users passing through on that side.

And yes, fixing all that shit is will continue to be a temporary fix until the code is re-written. Until then itā€™s gonna be two steps forward, one step back.

10 Likes

Stones and dilutions make up very few of the total number of issues but eventually something will have to be done about them, tho i dont have an issue with them at all. Stones should have the recipe listed in the notes and maybe a generic dilution tag with the individual stating the ratio in the recipe notes. And we do have a one shot function so it only makes sense to allow said one shot to be used, just one of the reasons the DB wont be locked down.

Lots of great ideas but keep in mind the main focus is on the bulk of the main issue, garbage flavors so dont think no one is listening. As the easier spelling issues are getting taken care of it will take more time to get the tougher ones. The way TZ and i have to search makes it difficult to get them all and the odd ones make up the bulk of the doodoo.

Just got in from a 7 hour drive so ill get back to this post when i am able to process information again.

8 Likes

Can we change TZā€™s title to ā€œSuper Duperā€?

3 Likes