Many Questions.... Flavor/Mixes

Hehe, that’s EVERY day for me. Every ONCE in a while, just ONCE in awhile, I get something right. Only after flushing like 1L of product down the crapper to GET there that is.

5 Likes

@SquirrelSmash. I hear you 100% buddy. Thank you for the support. We all get to this place where you know damn well you’re goimg to succeed, it’s just a matter of time… I’m thinking my first post was more of a vent that needed to be vocalized to like-minded folks who felt this pain before.

There’ll come a day where I will “Pay It Forward”, but until then my ears are being kept to the ground!

3 Likes

Me too, though I do countless insane combinations just to test: What if Mahlepi and Cavendish mix? Then we share what works after a few months of testing and steeping. I do think those of us with lots of experience need to wear are ignorance more freely.

4 Likes

Tell us who, if they are at the cool kids table it’ll boost their ego, but if we don’t like them we can all start talking shit about them in PMs and think poorly of you.

2 Likes

We can about shit blenders. Though your weight gain seems to make you assume that you’re bulletproof.

3 Likes

Relax man, it was just a joke… Just let me sit back and enjoy my Billet Box

2 Likes

You make me look thin and I got to 130kg over winter.

2 Likes

…Flip it

2 Likes

I have turned all mods to face west. Isn’t that your old image to make us share photos?

2 Likes

And such is life. Just as SOON as I got done typing to you @D.Sims then the wife calls, her SUV went bonkers-shit-crazy.

Mo work, mo work. Never enough time in the day.

2 Likes

Like others, I’ve mixed some juices that ended up tasting like either dog or horse sh*t. Though I initially get discouraged, I remember that every “failure” is just more learning what doesn’t work and what I don’t like. And those lessons are just as valuable as learning what does work and what I do like.

4 Likes

Thanks Cary. It’s definitely a journey. I guess I’ve “Scratch The Surface” and now time to jump in head first. Slow down my thought process- and start with 1 flavor at a time. :pray:

5 Likes

@D.Sims well that COULD be blowing up your palate. Sometimes less is more, and sometimes more is too MUCH more, if you get my drift.

3 Likes

Oh I do @SessionDrummer! After doing some research today- and confirming what I already knew- it’s a marathon, nothing else. This was NEEDED tho 100%

4 Likes

The biggest problem I have is the PUSH and PULL, and no I’m not talking about time signatures or time keeping, hehe.

This dovetails my previous point/struggle. Pushing the mix OFF of profile, or pulling it back ON profile. I’m always amazed by how LITTLE it takes of the WRONG flavor, to completely pull an entire mix off profile. S’mores for example, has been one of those for me. My unicorn.

4 Likes

So getting into this… Day 1, gather ingredients, buy necessary tools. Day 2, pick a few recipes to mix. Mix said ingredients. Wait… Day 10, test mixes- result. They suck. Ha!

SOOOOO much more to achieving success than I first thought. But here we go!!

2 Likes

Most of my pub mixes are ehhh, expected, I mean, they’re not ground breaking, fancy, or obsessed in the obtuse.

@D.Sims you want to see someone who I love to be amazed by is @Howard_Hughes (and many others), but just look at how granular-ly he constructs…

I just like how he constructs, and I wish my brain worked like his.

3 Likes

Yeah. This is Major League stuff right here! I’m talking about crawling before walking- and HH is on Space X’s Mars rocket! Amazing

3 Likes

Some mixers, just churn out recipes constantly, and I don’t know how they do it LOL. Super mixers ? Less picky ? Who’s to say. I can’t remember who told me @D.Sims, maybe they will see this and remind me, but someone told me once, if you try a recipe you don’t like, you should unpack it, and figure WHAT you didn’t like exactly. I don’t know if that’s the ticket to creating stellar mixes, but it can be interesting. Say you try a mix, and just don’t care for it, re-mix it, either changing percentages, or eliminating possible suspects, only to find out that now you DO like it.

Single flavor testing is easy, right ?? Hehe, well maybe. What SFT doesn’t tell you is how different flavors pair, accent, OR conflict with each other. Soo many tricks to learn, and it can sometimes be impossible to completely convey that to someone.who is in need. I can tell you my favorite Peach, Pudding, Biscuit, and Custard, but when combined they might totally FAIL.

5 Likes

@D.Sims being a bakery nut, what are a few of your FAV flavors ? Sometimes, you can simply start with one, or two that you really like, and rather than try and FORCE them into a particular profile, you can experiment with different flavors, to ENHANCE that favorite flavor of yours, and see where it goes. As opposed to just sitting down and saying, “I"m going to make a Peach Cobbler”.

3 Likes