Mech Mod Suggestions. Oh, and Goodbye China

That is were I ordered from, first time so I’ll see how it goes. The difference in the switches A) the default switch make electrical circuit contact at the battery. B) constant contact switch makes contact with the battery but the closing of the circuit is within the switch body. This causes avoidance of arching at the battery. (but I bet you still get arching internal at the switch). the battery and switch arching are easy enough to clean for me. I ordered the all copper, I have always liked that metal and excellent conductivity and patina adds character.

Note: as I was typing this the vendor called to verify a shipping issue I made and is all good to go, be in the mail tomorrow.

6 Likes

That was fast shipping.
Hits hard and it does look real good as well.
Glad you are happy with it so far :+1:

4 Likes

Rogue finally made it. This thing is nice - apparently very, very little voltage drop. The only issue I have is to change the battery you unscrew the button. Seems simple enough, but there’s nothing to grip although the button does have 2 little holes, so I suppose I could fashion some type of key out of a heavy duty paperclip. Seeing how often batteries need to be replaced, this could wind up being more trouble than it’s worth. We’ll see. I do know it hits hard, which is indeed a good thing.

4 Likes

I’m surprised they don’t include such a tool at those kinds of prices…

Very cool about the minimal Vdrop though!

4 Likes

You could always use tweezers to get the switch out of the tube.

4 Likes

@SthrnMixer I got your back.

4 Likes

Or maybe this one @SthrnMixer.

3 Likes

Thanks man. I doubt anything like that is necessary. The switch does unscrew rather easily with just the slightest pressure with my thumb. Where I may need a tool at some point will be when the threads become patina’ed or corroded. Of course with it being brand hammer new, those threads are silky smooth. But honestly I feel if I keep this thing clean it will be just fine. Or @Norseman had a great idea with tweezers…

5 Likes

Well I can’t tell how “locked” it is by the pics. I replace a TON of watch batteries, and have grown to know that tool well. Once I saw your pic I immediately thought of it.

5 Likes

Not locked at all. Screw down the atty first, then insert the battery. Afterward, screw in the switch till it’s snug. The tension of the spring in this switch is fairly substantial. Certainly enough to prevent the switch from backing itself out. Only one day of use and I’ve already developed a habit of checking the tightness of the switch and it’s yet to come loose.

6 Likes

Owning a gepetto would be a dream.

2 Likes

I just got a Tesla Invader 2/3 for £9.99 and they included an 18650! Not really a mech I know. Just wanted to gloat. lol.

3 Likes

So, went and bought another. I mean who wouldn’t at that price? No extra battery, and it stopped working after less than one day! So much for me gloating. Story of my bloody life. If it wasn’t for bad luck, I would have no luck at all. Smh.

4 Likes