Mixing large Batches of eliquid

Hi All
I have been mixing 30ml’s for awhile and I now want to mix larger batches and my question is

1)Should I remove the nicotine and mix my batch with the VG/PG I want and then when im ready to use pour into my 30ml bottle and add nicotine as needed(sometimes I change my nic level)

or

2)Make a flavor concentrate and mix each bottle as needed

Is one really better than the other? In my head option 1 seems like less work but im not sure

Thank you

4 Likes

I believe a few peps are still staring at the question as both are perfectly fine methods and i think it is up to you.

7 Likes

Depends a bit on what the strength of your nic base is… you’re not giving enough info to properly answer your question.

If you have something like 18 or 20mg nic base, I’d suggest you mix as you need.
If you’re going to mix 3mg one day for your dripper and 12mg the other for your MTL device, you’ll need to adjust your flavor % too probably.
If you’re mixing with 100mg nic base, it won’t make that much difference (dilution wise).

Instead of making your base liquids + flavor and adding your nic later, you can also consider making one-shots and adding your vg/pg/nic when you want to make another bottle.

In the end, the choice is up to you. If you vape everything within the first 6 months and you store your juices away from heat and sun light, all suggestions are valid. Try different methods and see what works best for you.

5 Likes

I’ve switched to mixing up 1 liter batches of my favorites lately, and I jump around with my nic level too. What I’ve been doing is mixing the big batch with the lowest strength that I vape, and then when I want it stronger I just add the difference when I’m filing a 30-60ml bottle. I personally like the way juice tastes when it steeps with the nic, plus doing it this way there’s less dilution than there would be if I added the entire amount of nic afterwards.

If you really don’t want the nic sitting around in your juice at all until you’re ready to vape it, out of the two ideas you mentioned I’d probably go with #1. The reason being is that if you’re anything like me, it’s hard to let a juice steep well without sneaking some out. With a large batch some of it is bound to be able to steep even if you start vaping it fresh. If you mix up a one-shot and just mix smaller batches as needed you’ll end up vaping unsteeped/understeeped juice more often. Which isn’t necessarily a problem, but in general it’s nice to have it be a little more mature.

5 Likes

It depends on how you mix…
If I’m steeping for a couple months, I’ll add the nic when I’m ready to vape. My recipe remains the same but I’ll just leave out the nic base. Once steeped, I’ll add it and the ratios are identical to a mix that has the nic from the beginning.

3 Likes

I usually mix my bigger batchs without nicotine. Its is easier for me to just add the nic and go on my way…

2 Likes

Good point. This would be the ideal way to do it if you’re keeping the nic out of the original mix, especially if the nic you’re using is much less than 100mg.

2 Likes

I get bored with a juice very easily so I mix 30ml and usually 1/2 way through the bottle I am already looking forward to vaping a different juice

4 Likes

Same here… and then occasionally I make a juice that’s super good and I regret not making more… and of course the damned thing has got to steep again, so I make a 60ml and 15ml later I get tired of it.
I never understand the people who mix 120ml, 250ml or even liter batches… my friend though has never vaped another juice, always sticks to the same Millers RY4 commercial crap.

2 Likes

I’m not positive, but wouldn’t adding the nic last minute create nic hotspots??

2 Likes

Give it a good shake?
I always use 100%VG, 72mg nic at room temp, never had an issue. And I shake and vape all the time. I always need to try a juice before it steeps.

2 Likes

I guess…That’s why I asked. I’ve heard of nic hotspots but never actually had one, but then again I mix everything & then steep it. I never taste unsteeped juice tho

4 Likes

Guess you haven’t found a good juice recipe then huh? Lol (kidding… mostly… :wink: ) Other than testers which I usually do in 30-60ml batches, 120ml batches are my small ones! If you mix big giant bottles up and then don’t feel like mixing for a while or can’t get to it for whatever reason, you’re still always stocked (assuming that you know your recipes can stand a long steep and aren’t faders).

6 Likes

Thank you all!
Lots of good info. Yes i get bored sometimes also with the same juice and because of that it really helps to determine things now. I will only mix a max 120ml of my really favorite recipes then. To add or not to add nicotine I can see benefits both ways now. Thank you

6 Likes

I’ve found plenty, but I get tired of things quickly, I need variation.
And looking at the database, there are soooooo many recipes I want to try!!!

Most people I know have problems with change in their life, I’m just one of those guys that gets pretty unhappy if everything remains the same.

5 Likes

@anon28032772: people who are vaping on industrial smoke generators seem to go through 100ml fast. It would take me over two months. I would get very bored as well, anything over 60 feels like a chore, and will last more than 3 month.

To the OP: specially with freebase nic, I would avoid mixing it more than a couple months before using. I have some 50ml batches that are unusable and were fine when mixed.
Salts seem to hold better.
What I do for the friend I mix for is that I do shortfills, let them steep and tell them to to mix their nicotine shake and wait a week. No complaints yet. I leave 20/60 free in the bottle and it only seem to be a problem for one juice that had a lot of lemony oils in.
If you want to go along the same principle, you could do a batch of 2/3 final volume or adapt the principle to whatever nic situation you face.
100ml nice would make things a lot easier.

7 Likes

No, I get it. I was just messing with ya. I get tired of things quickly too, but I still have several mixes that I adore and even if I get tired of them one day I’ll come back to them a few days later. And like @SuperFrog mentioned, those people (ahem…me) who are “vaping on industrial smoke generators” can go through juice pretty quickly. 100ml in three days is pretty normal for me.

9 Likes

I mix big batches of juices that are for my friends and keep them in the closet. I’ll add nic when I get the call that they need a refill. And its either salt or freebase.

Because every time I get a new flavor in and want too play with that day, or get an idea maybe worth exploring, I get a refill call. Like they do it on purpose and I then have to put my other ideas on ice that day lol.

For myself I mix maybe 30-120 ml because I can’t stick to one juice for a long period of time. But even then I don’t add nic to the mix and wait till I actually want to vape it. 30-60 ml last a day, maybe two if I’m lucky lol. But I always have testers around etc.

6 Likes

Just because you are paranoid doesn’t mean they are not after you :wink:

6 Likes

I’ve answered one of their calls once and lied, that was a year ago, still feeling guilty lol.

Friend of mine asked me if its my day off and I said that I needed to cover for someone. Asking her why and she answered with, I need juice but NP it can wait till next week.

Because I wanted too play with FW cake batter dip, which turned out to be a big mistake :wink:

I felt so happy for 3 minutes but then guilty and it still bothers me. Guess I just can’t be “mean” once lol. But I learned my lesson and just keep their batches stocked lmao. Your conclusion might as well be applicable here!

2 Likes