Mixing large Batches of eliquid

I just mix it all at once now. There was a short period of time where i would add it a couple days before mixing but that didnt last long. I have mixes that are well over a year old that still taste pristine. Just store in glass in a cool dry and dark place with a proper cap and yer all good.

12 Likes

Great advice! Thanks!

3 Likes

Think it’s all been said already but here’s my 2 cents.

Testers I mix as 30 or 60ml depends on if I think I’ll enjoy the flavor being made…

Flavors I like or my friends like I mix @ 120ml or 300ml
With no nic added… I’ll add nic later since me and friends are all at different nic levels…

I also felt like juice with no nic had a longer shelf life than juice with nic. Since the was no nic to oxidize.

Then I saw this thread one day

I use 100mg pg nic … so when I add nic it doesn’t throw the pg/vg ratio of by much…

4 Likes

Shaking the nic thoroughly before adding to you mix is a good way to prevent hot spots
especially 100% VG base nic has to be shaken really thoroughly

6 Likes

I always add my nicotene at the beginning because there are some studies that indicate diacetyl and acetoin are greatly reduced in the presence of nicotene, it also converts acetoin to diacetyl which can improve the flavor of the juice. https://www.coresta.org/abstracts/stability-diacetyl-and-acetyl-propionyl-and-conversion-acetoin-diacetyl-e-liquids-30252

3 Likes

This is not what I am reading here. Da and AP seems to decrease markedly after 8 weeks.
Also, in nic containing eliquid, a conversion or acetoin to diacetyl, which is concerning as people tend to avoid da more than ap or acetoin.

1 Like

Research it more if your interested, yes ac is converted to da and then reduced due to the presence of nicotene, the article referenced is assuming nicotene is in the test e-liquid and pionts out the results that dont contain nic, its not the best article on the study, ill try to find the others.

3 Likes

i have a few of my tried and true recipes that i mixed in 100/120ml
i dont get tired of them because i have quite a few different recipes to mix it up
i have probably over 2,000 ml of juice made
so if i use 6 ml a day it will take me near a year to finish.
and i have given away at least 1,000
still i have 20 10 ml bottles that i will run some test recipes in
i enjoy the successful ones
its a hobby possibly turning into an obsession !
i know this every who tries mine says it is way better then anything off a vape shop shelf
i agree !!

4 Likes

It’s that damn sucralose! Makes juices taste the same after a while!

4 Likes

i used to add a lot of sweetner to my recipes , now i hardly use them at all , feel i get way better flavor

5 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one @estorm. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dumb question for this old thread. Does anyone increase flavorings when mixing large batches or do you stick with the %'s in the recipe just on the larger scale? Do flavors change when mixing larger amounts?
I seem to go thru a lot of juice and constantly mixing 120ml batches is sometime a chore!

3 Likes

Nothing changes in that respect stick to the same % it may take a little longer to steep when you get up into the larger mixes (depending on how you are mixing them).

8 Likes

I don’t have any large bottles for large batches so i mix my recipe and then it sits on the mag stirrer for an hour or so mixing. I then pour it into two smaller bottles. For example i make 240 ml batches and pour it into two 120ml bottles and then sits and steeps for several weeks or more. Some not so long cause I get to missing my fav mixes!
I’ve noticed since i have started making these larger batches that my juice does not taste the same. I probably need some larger bottles.
Looking at a three week old mix in one bottle it appears the mix is not blending you can see different weights of liquids when viewing it through the clear bottle. The second bottle of the same mix is completely blended. I’m sure this is why my mixes are not tasting right.
If you zoom in on the photos you can see what i so badly tried to describe!

1 Like

That comes out of a magnetic stirrer??? If it’s only 240ml you mix, you can still shake it better by hand. Watch out for tennis elbow if you’re planning on multiple batches :wink:
When I shake my bottles by hand, they’re all hazy because of all the air bubbles in them and the liquid looks the same from top to bottom. Your bottles only have a few bubbles and you can still see it’s not a homogeneous fluid. You need to mix it much better before you split it in smaller bottles.

I don’t have experience with magnetic stirrers so I’m not sure you need to get those air bubbles, but you really need to have a very homogeneous fluid. You can still see streaks of thick, unmixed VG in them.

5 Likes

This was after better than an hour on the mag mixer. The whole batch was mixed and had a million little bubbles through out prior to putting them into smaller bottles. The picture in my post is after 18 days steep. Half looks as you said heavier vg still not blended the other bottle same batch appears to be more blended. Hence the flavors being off. I am wondering if My little mixer just isn’t up to the task of larger batches.
I just ordered a case of 8 oz boston rounds so i won’t have to split them up! May need to upgrade my mixer for larger batches. I’m not much into the tennis elbow!!

3 Likes

I just did another hour on mag stirrer and it looks mixed to me!! All the little dots are bubbles in the juice!

4 Likes

That is indeed what it should look like… so what happened with that other bottle?

3 Likes

When I divided into the two smaller bottles it looked just like the picture above! After 18 days in the steep locker it looked like the first picture I posted above.
It appears that it is seperating in the bottles!
I am so confused! Haha
I think it is just not getting mixed enough to begin with.

2 Likes

Slight separation is always possible if it’s sitting still for weeks, although it’s much more common if you keep your liquids in a cold environment (like a fridge). Always give your juice a good shake before use, no matter the size of the bottle.

Take that last sentence with a grain of salt though and use your head. Shaking it up introduces air into the liquid. Air/oxygen is bad for your nic. Don’t shake it up again if you’ve just done it minutes before.

3 Likes