Mixing large Batches of eliquid

I use a frother and never see separation. I have at least 20 various citrus juices steeping and won’t actually need to shake any of them when they come out of the box. Probably will out of habit but it’s not necessary.

3 Likes

I am almost convinced that my mag stirrer is to small for larger batches. I have a 120ml bottle I mixed 3 days ago and there is zero separation in the mix, looks totally homogenized! I am going to leave it stirring for several hours and see what effect it has on the mix!
Thanks for your help!! Much appreciated!!

3 Likes

That’s kind of comical to me cause i used to use the frother and upgraded to the mag stirrer. Guess I can froth these larger batches as well!! Can’t hurt right?

2 Likes

My frother isn’t much good for large batches, would be better to go with a rechargeable hand mixer (medium size). If I do over 120 ml I shake in an oversized bottle then transfer to the appropriate bottle size.

3 Likes

Neither do I and honestly speaking, that bottle looks like it just hasn’t been mixed well before a steep. I have never seen a steeped liquid look like that. It also doesn’t look like normal separation (where usually denser liquids go down and less dense liquids go up). It’s very strange…

4 Likes

I am mixing these larger batches in a 250ml beaker so its quit full and i do not get the vortex that I normally see with smaller batches. For that reason I increase the amount of time it stays on the stirrer. The thousands of little bubbles to me indicates that it is mixing the juice thoroughly or is it? I will see what extended stirring does to it! I don’t currently have any larger beakers so perhaps that may need to be acquired!

2 Likes

The amount you can stir will depend entirely on the SH rating on the mag stirrer here are some ball park figures to work off based on a 80vg/20pg mix.

• sh-2 (1000ml water) which will turn about absolute max of 100ml
  • sh-3 (3000ml water) will do about 200ml
  • sh-4 (5000ml water) around around 300ml

These are from personal experience and ambient temperature will play a huge roll (these figures assume an ambient temp of around 20 - 25c). If you are working in a colder environment I would halve these figures. If you have a hot plate (with a probe is best) I don’t recommend taking a mix over 50c but it will pretty much double the amount you can mix.

If you are mixing in a beaker try to use a beaker volume that is more than triple the mix size a shallower mix will turn more freely.

It looks to me that your mixes are not fully mixed before you split them into the smaller bottles.

This is not a mag mixer but you can see at around 16 second mark the mix clears you need to see this when you are mixing and then keep mixing for a bit of time after you see it.

Good luck

4 Likes

That beaker you showed after, that’s mixed good enough for me. I don’t think there’s much benefit of leaving it on much longer. I would personally just take it like that and put it in the steeping cupboard.

3 Likes

I played around today with some different size beakers. None in my inventory are large enough so I happened to have some short size pickle jars that we use when making homemade sauerkraut and kimchi. Looked about the right size so in went 240ml of just vg and the stirrer bar! Worked perfectly. I am not sure of the RPM’s of the bar but it creates a very nice vortex as I have seen in smaller batches! I was pleased with the test so I went ahead and mixed a batch of one of my favorites and its mixing away and looking very promising! I also remixed the batch that was separating that brought all this discovery on and it looks much better!!
Big shout out to all who helped! Very much appreciate your generous time!! And Knowledge!!!

4 Likes

yea I like watching it as it mixes …

at first pg and vg are separate . then as they mix it goes cloudy

then it just magically goes clear again …

5 Likes

I should read all posts b4 inserting my own thoughts …

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this nice post.

2 Likes