Ml-2-drops

Great advice here, I’ve had that happen a couple of times and pressed the scale to get it going again.

A flat surface and a calibration weight is also essential

If you are still mixing using drops, and especially if you have different tips on your flavorings,
just put how many drops you think you need to make 1ml in a small bottle, then use a 1ml syringe and measure it.
Write on the bottle how many drops equal 1ml…using that tip/bottle.

I am off that much on everything I make/use…never makes any difference to me

I do it all the time…

Also, if you mix under a ceiling fan, on medium or high, it can/will make your numbers flutter.
The AWS LB-501 is the only scale I recommend for e-juice, and it comes with 2x 200g calibration weights.
$26 on Amazon. Ask anyone that has one, they will surely agree…and if you use the A/C adapter, it will never auto-off during mixing, which is very important when mixing juice.
[Unless you wish to spend $100-$200 for a scale]

2 Likes

It is true. It is sometimes hard adding 0.25% of higher concentrated flavor from FA, INW and mf. In a 15ml bottle some of my recipies often call for 0.07 grams.

Thats where notes come into play. If you end up with 0.08 grams. Take a note. So that way when you move to your favorite mixes at a 30ml bottle or 60ml your still get repeatable results. This is the main reason why when going from 10-15ml tester the 3ls don’t always taste right.

I do agree. Mixing at the 5ml and 10ml for accuracy mixing with sryinges is far superior than mixing by weight at that level. (Not drops) But for ease of use mixing by weight require little to no cleaning, speed in mixing, and if you take good notes still can get repeatable results…but you gotta know what you got going on…which comes from practice.

What do I mean ease of use…this coming weekend I’ll mixes 20 new recipies and it will only take two hours, with an average of 6 flavors per mix. note that I do a full set up break down clean up the counter and tools. Plus two cups of coffee. I’ll take 2 hours any day.

What I do, when I have to measure really small amounts, is that I drop, then blow on the scale. After a second or two the weight is registered :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But if he can’t do the scales right now at least get some syringes and blunt tips for measuring, it’s far better than drops IMHO

2 Likes

I agree, drops are just so inconsistent

1 Like

Maybe i have to think about to buy a scale!
Syringe are then more exactly and cheaper than a scale!
This was my favorite methode in the last time.
I want not give to much money to buy a scale!
The ones who are exact by 0,1 ml-scaling, are the ones who are most expensive!

I just look at the time it takes to clean vs measure. A decent scale can cost 15-35. I only use a sryinge for nic. I love measuring by weight. You will see the comments of…“I wish I started earlier” “so much easier” and so on. You won’t find a lot of people saying measuring by weight sucks.

2 Likes

Oh I agree with @Chrispdx whole heartedly, but right now I can’t afford a scale. My biggest bills are all in the summer time. Maybe November or January. December is out.

1 Like

Small batches are hard to make just right, there is no room for minor errors to be absorbed.
My opinion is 60ml-120ml batches make the best juice. Whatever small errors occur, they go basically unnoticed.
That’s not much help to make a small test batch, and I think that is why no one should fully poo-poo syringes.
That being said. I make small one-on-one batches of every new flavoring I get, usually in 10-20ml sizes, but as most folks know, I only magnetically stir. So, I use a small tube cylinder and a tiny stir bar…smaller than a pea, and still measure by weight.
Per ml, I can mix a large batch 5-10x faster than a small batch,…because there is less room for error in a small batch.

1 Like

Somehow I thought you had a scale. You mixing with syringes, pipettes, or both?

Syringes. My wife quakes whenever I say “hey look at this” she knows it’s something I want for my DIY. My next two on my wish list are scales and magnetic mixer. Funny thing she never fusses when I say OMG taste this one honey. I’ve been looking at some sites that have directions for making my own magnetic stirrer.

I bought my first scale for $8.00 on ebay and it had free shipping, it runs on 2 AAA batteries and is accurate to .01 Gram. It is just as accurate as my LB-501 scale and has a smaller footprint. I didn’t like it because it would power off if I took too long, and of course it didn’t have continuous memory so disaster if I wasn’t keeping track or going fast.

That’s half the fun! Lol

I have think about yesterday: When mixing by weight is so good, why this Recipe-Database have not a unit for weight?
There is only %, drops and ml!

1 Like

Click on your user icon on the recipe page then scroll down to “preferences” click on it and you should see where it gives the option that says “measure in drops or grams” and select grams! Easy peesy!

Then when you look at a recipe it will show you ml, grams, %

5 Likes

Thanks for this note!
I was not aware to this alternative.

2 Likes

1 Like

I popped my weighing cherry today, there’s no way I will ever go back to syringes, sooo easy and less messy, Unfortunately couldn’t get the LB-501’s for less than £70 over here but got these instead and they worked great, game changer for me :+1:

5 Likes

So much more fun than the other way, right? :thumbsup:

1 Like